The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, akredz said:

explains the lack of incoming activity for our midfield.
We're just going to lump it forward.

It may also explain the Ash Taylor rumours. He's got a mighty lump on him...

22 hours ago, MFC97 said:

Now down to none of them. Said it all when Main was getting kept out the team by the young lad James Scott...

Absolute nonsense. Scott only started getting a game when Motherwell season was done and Main had confirmed he wouldn't be staying. Main made it clear early this season that he would be 100% moving on most likely to england. However Hearts and Aberdeen have made him decent enough offers and its a step up to either club. He has shown in spells he can be really effective in this league and maybe in better teams he will improve. Although it is a very uninspiring signing from an Aberdeen fans view point. It will need to be backed up by some better quality to get the fans on board.

2 hours ago, ekfootball said:

Absolute nonsense. Scott only started getting a game when Motherwell season was done and Main had confirmed he wouldn't be staying. Main made it clear early this season that he would be 100% moving on most likely to england. However Hearts and Aberdeen have made him decent enough offers and its a step up to either club. He has shown in spells he can be really effective in this league and maybe in better teams he will improve. Although it is a very uninspiring signing from an Aberdeen fans view point. It will need to be backed up by some better quality to get the fans on board.

I'd caveat that by saying Scott (infamously) started at Parkhead and Main was nowhere near the squad that day (for reasons), he was also getting used off the bench regularly from December onwards which is hardly when the season was done. Having said that, if we'd been particularly bothered about results post-split (when Scott was getting regular starts) we'd probably have been starting either Main or Sammon and still giving Scott 15-20 mins off the bench. Our post-split fixtures were largely being used with a view to next season.

Robinson was clear in saying that he wanted to give players who would be here next season enough time to see where they were and how they fitted into the team hence Main and Sammon being parked on the bench (or out the squad). In that respect it fair to say we've known for a while that he would be moving. It's a moot point now but it'd be interesting to know if he was one of the 6 we offered terms to or whether we effectively said bolt rather than waste time having a conversation (I've mentioned it before but as of April we still hadn't offered him anything).

I've noticed a couple of angles on certain other Aberdeen forums along the lines that Motherwell wanted to keep Main and I'm genuinely not sure that's the case.

Edited by capt_oats

Back in time for the fitba

The early 90s, lump it cross-field for Mixu charging in from the left to head it into "the mixer" (™ Craig Paterson) or more likely row k or miss it completely.  Sitting in the newly opened RDS with the mannie behind screaming "MCKIMMIE" from warm up onwards. When he overhit it the mannie went apoplectic with fury.

Aberdeen finished second. SECOND! So...y'know...

Edit to add: disclaimer - there was also Steven Wright, Alex McLeish, Brian Grant, Lee Richardson, Paul Mason, Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer and Eoin Jess which might, just possibly,  have had something to do with 2nds not just the long, crossfield hit-and-hope but y'know, don't knock it etc etc

Edited by EdTheDuck

Back in time for the fitba
The early 90s, lump it cross-field for Mixu charging in from the left to head it into "the mixer" ([emoji769] Craig Paterson) or more likely row k or miss it completely.  Sitting in the newly opened RDS with the mannie behind screaming "MCKIMMIE" from warm up onwards. When he overhit it the mannie went apoplectic with fury.
Aberdeen finished second. SECOND! So...y'know...
Edit to add: disclaimer - there was also Steven Wright, Alex McLeish, Brian Grant, Lee Richardson, Paul Mason, Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer and Eoin Jess which might, just possibly,  have had something to do with 2nds not just the long, crossfield hit-and-hope but y'know, don't knock it etc etc

Fucking hell, that was a great team.

56 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Fucking hell, that was a great team.

Aye , missed out Jim Bett as well. 

That was the team managed by Willie Miller that famously  scored 7 at Patrick Thistle in the replay of the abandoned game, and then demolished Hearts 6-2 a few days later. Shearer bagged both match balls for hatricks 

Possibly the most exciting Dons team I’ve seen 

Edited by A96

56 minutes ago, A96 said:

Aye , missed out Jim Bett as well. 

That was the team managed by Willie Miller that famously  scored 7 at Patrick Thistle in the replay of the abandoned game, and then demolished Hearts 6-2 a few days later. Shearer bagged both match balls for hatricks 

Possibly the most exciting Dons team I’ve seen 

And Bobby 'the blouse' Connor

Fox ache

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, ekfootball said:

The only single reason I can vaguely picture Curtis Main is because of a memory of the worst Dons defensive performance of recent times.

And even then, my mum would have cantered through an out of position Dom Ball, a slow disinterested Arnason, and a headless chicken McKenna.

I hope to God we're not trying to sign Main based on 15 minutes of reasonably decent football in the last 2 seasons. It does though, look very much like that.

23 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Innit tho.

Average attendance was 12,720! (Hearts 11,018 Hibs 9,718) - what was wrong with people back then?

Possibly an element of attendance figures being reported more accurately rather than the current method of counting season ticket holders who are nowhere near the ground?

43 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Possibly an element of attendance figures being reported more accurately rather than the current method of counting season ticket holders who are nowhere near the ground?

You might have a point-ish. Back then Season Tickets cost about the price of all the league games plus a couple extra. There was no discount. Sometimes you came out ahead because you might get 3 or 4 or 5 home cup ties, sometimes you lost out because there was no cup ties. It was a sort of gentlemen's agreement between club and fan, both accepted it was a case some you win, some you lose.

However, it meant that clubs didn't sell nearly as many STs. I think in the early 90s Aberdeen had about 4,000 -5,000 ST holders. It also meant fans did a lot more pick and choosing of their games. In season 90/91 for example, when Aberdeen took it to Ibrox on the last day of the season their home gates ranged from 22,500 full house to 9,000, while genuinely challenging for the title.

The current Season Tickets are a bit smoke and mirrors IMO. The whole point is to get as much money in as quickly as possible  just in case the season goes down the shitter because that would see the numbers turning up to PATG absolutely plummet. The 'discount' is a sleight of hand too. It required the PATG cost to go through the roof to make the ST look like good value.

This isn't just an Aberdeen thing, of course, it's a symptom of the Money is King view nowadays throughout football. Having said that there are a million more people attending Scottish league football these days than there were in 90/91 so...y'know...

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

Innit tho.

Average attendance was 12,720! (Hearts 11,018 Hibs 9,718) - what was wrong with people back then?

That was the season when the RDS was being built , so the capacity was reduced to about 15K. So there would’ve been a few games which could probably have had attendance well over the reduced capacity , thus skewing the overall average

14 minutes ago, A96 said:

That was the season when the RDS was being built , so the capacity was reduced to about 15K. So there would’ve been a few games which could probably have had attendance well over the reduced capacity , thus skewing the overall average

No sir. The RDS was built during 92/93 and the average was around 11,000. The figure I quoted was for 93/94.

8 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

No sir. The RDS was built during 92/93 and the average was around 11,000. The figure I quoted was for 93/94.

Ok. I’d assumed you were speaking about the previous season , in which the Patrick and Hearts games mentioned in my earlier post were played.

No great mystery why the average attendance in  93/94 wasn’t that great , as we were generally pretty poor , coming nowhere near the exciting performances of 92/93. It was the start of the steady decline that ended up with us just avoiding relegation in 94/95.