The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Leven being looked at down south. Would be a little surprising. He's steadied the ship a bit but not like it's been an amazing turnaround under him or anything.

Clearly the press just linking him with random jobs off the back of a few decent results.  I hope he’s kept on at the club in a decent position as he deserves it 

What's everyone's take on the squad priorities for the rebuild? 

Assuming yimmy's preferred 433

GK- roos away. No 1 needed. 

Doohan - good enough back up? Doubt it but lowish priority? 

Richie- project, under contract until next year. Will he make it or is it too early to tell for a keeper? 

Need 1x starter, maybe ok for back up. 

RB- Richardson back-yay! 

Milne- looked good in semi but was patchy before. Worth persevering i think. 

Devlin- great attitude and commitment. Ok going forward but a terrible defender. Should be back up. 

Need 1x starter. Fine for back up. 

CB- assuming back four and Gartenmen away. 

Rubezic- has improved hugely in the imagination with each week out. Probably a reasonable starter alongside an experienced foreman. 

Jensen - just a bit lacking in most departments. Capable of good games. Will probably have to do as back up. 

McDonald- Meat and potatoes defender with suspect decision making; occasional bombscare. Good back up. 

Need 1x starter minimum

LB

McKenzie - improved since Barry left. Largely coped with all non OF wingers and we don't have europe next season so probably low priority to replace. Can do job as starter. 

McGarry - shown little but looks shite. 

Hayes- looks like coaching now. 

Ngwena-? 

Need 1x cover/project. 

Midfield 

Assuming we go with a three and Baron is away. 

Shinnie - still a starter for me. Might start to need managed a bit more-succession plan required. 

Polvara - still a project? Needs to step up. Can look really good and like a wee boy in the same ten minutes. Definitely worth squad berth. 

McGrath - Starter for me. No question. 

Clarkson - on own merits, a starter. If McGrath is starting in a three, we'd be a bit light with both in there. Alternating starts and supersub appearances. 

Duncan- looked better when he was a winger. Looks a bit lost in the middle. 

Marshall -? 

Need 1x aggressive type plus possibly all rounder cover/project. 

Wingers

Vincente- honestly f**k knows. Looks talented. Hasn't taken chances. Must piss coaches off. 

Morris - he can run fast but has no end product. If we're leading in a game he'd be useful to take the ball into the corner, so long as he doesn't have to cross it. 

Duk? -  would he be left of a three? I'll say yes. If he lays off the natas and super bock over the summer. 

Sokkler- could be right of a three. Has pace but not seen much on the ball. Probably needed in the middle. 

Need 1x starter + 1x project back up. 

Striker

Bojan - just about the required standard. Stick. 

Sokler - looks like he has something. Not a Miovski but looks more than SPL level decent. Worth starting assuming that Miovski will actually be funding the rebuild. 

Guye- looked like he was on glue when he got a chance but there must be something about him. Enigma. 

Duk- is he a striker? Possibly. 

Bavidge -? 

Need 1x project (could be Bavidge) 

I make that:

2 x keepers, 1 to start

1 x starting RB

1 x starting CB

1x squad LB

1x midfield General 

2x wingers, 1 to start

1x project striker

That’s minimum really. 

Alfie Bavidge....absolute gem you guys have there. He'll likely be in & around the first team next season for you. Thanks for keeping the great loans going to us.

Barron, NgWenya, Milne & now Bavidge who's been the best of the lot.

17 hours ago, coprolite said:

What's everyone's take on the squad priorities for the rebuild? 

Assuming yimmy's preferred 433

GK- roos away. No 1 needed. 

Doohan - good enough back up? Doubt it but lowish priority? 

Richie- project, under contract until next year. Will he make it or is it too early to tell for a keeper? 

Need 1x starter, maybe ok for back up. 

RB- Richardson back-yay! 

Milne- looked good in semi but was patchy before. Worth persevering i think. 

Devlin- great attitude and commitment. Ok going forward but a terrible defender. Should be back up. 

Need 1x starter. Fine for back up. 

CB- assuming back four and Gartenmen away. 

Rubezic- has improved hugely in the imagination with each week out. Probably a reasonable starter alongside an experienced foreman. 

Jensen - just a bit lacking in most departments. Capable of good games. Will probably have to do as back up. 

McDonald- Meat and potatoes defender with suspect decision making; occasional bombscare. Good back up. 

Need 1x starter minimum

LB

McKenzie - improved since Barry left. Largely coped with all non OF wingers and we don't have europe next season so probably low priority to replace. Can do job as starter. 

McGarry - shown little but looks shite. 

Hayes- looks like coaching now. 

Ngwena-? 

Need 1x cover/project. 

Midfield 

Assuming we go with a three and Baron is away. 

Shinnie - still a starter for me. Might start to need managed a bit more-succession plan required. 

Polvara - still a project? Needs to step up. Can look really good and like a wee boy in the same ten minutes. Definitely worth squad berth. 

McGrath - Starter for me. No question. 

Clarkson - on own merits, a starter. If McGrath is starting in a three, we'd be a bit light with both in there. Alternating starts and supersub appearances. 

Duncan- looked better when he was a winger. Looks a bit lost in the middle. 

Marshall -? 

Need 1x aggressive type plus possibly all rounder cover/project. 

Wingers

Vincente- honestly f**k knows. Looks talented. Hasn't taken chances. Must piss coaches off. 

Morris - he can run fast but has no end product. If we're leading in a game he'd be useful to take the ball into the corner, so long as he doesn't have to cross it. 

Duk? -  would he be left of a three? I'll say yes. If he lays off the natas and super bock over the summer. 

Sokkler- could be right of a three. Has pace but not seen much on the ball. Probably needed in the middle. 

Need 1x starter + 1x project back up. 

Striker

Bojan - just about the required standard. Stick. 

Sokler - looks like he has something. Not a Miovski but looks more than SPL level decent. Worth starting assuming that Miovski will actually be funding the rebuild. 

Guye- looked like he was on glue when he got a chance but there must be something about him. Enigma. 

Duk- is he a striker? Possibly. 

Bavidge -? 

Need 1x project (could be Bavidge) 

I make that:

2 x keepers, 1 to start

1 x starting RB

1 x starting CB

1x squad LB

1x midfield General 

2x wingers, 1 to start

1x project striker

That’s minimum really. 

Can’t see many changes right away. Barron & Roos out of contract will be away. Gartenmann end of loan.

Maybe a few might be released/sent on loan but can’t see us realising players as going cost us. 
The big on will be keeping hold of Miovski I do expect a big offer this summer for him. Just as long as the club stick to their guns and we don’t panic on the last hour of the transfer window and sell him them just to get the money. 

Realistically seeing us maybe take 3/4 in this summer 

18 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Can’t see many changes right away. Barron & Roos out of contract will be away. Gartenmann end of loan.

Maybe a few might be released/sent on loan but can’t see us realising players as going cost us. 
The big on will be keeping hold of Miovski I do expect a big offer this summer for him. Just as long as the club stick to their guns and we don’t panic on the last hour of the transfer window and sell him them just to get the money. 

Realistically seeing us maybe take 3/4 in this summer 

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'd imagine there was a gentlemans agreement in place with Bojan when we were turning down big offers last summer.

He's more than done his time as far as I am concerned.

I can't see us keeping Miovski and think the best we can hope  for is a good sale- early in the window for a good cash fee-to fund a rebuild.  I'd love another season though. 

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'd imagine there was a gentlemans agreement in place with Bojan when we were turning down big offers last summer.

He's more than done his time as far as I am concerned.

Yeah agreed he will be away and he’s earned that. It’s all in the model. 

I haven’t given it nearly enough thought to go through each position tbh but my hope would be that we don’t once again try and revamp everything in one window. 

would be good if we could prioritise 3-5 key positions and focus on getting those right now, then identifying young players we’ve earmarked for development and from then you look at shorter term options through loan deals or more mundane spfl signings. We then develop on it during subsequent windows. 

As a quick run through, I’d say the spine of the team - keeper, centre half and centre midfield (with a particular focus on bringing the right balance to it) are the top priorities, then An attacking option that provides more width and pace, then maybe fullback/striker.

If we have a good window on the spine of the team then I’m happy to accept sticking with some mediocre players like devlin etc in the shorter term if needed.

I would like to see a couple of enforcer types in at CB and DMF. A new keeper even if Roos stays, we need competition in that area. And some much needed width in the team. Bojan will go but I think Sokler could take over there with Bavidge getting some first team minutes. 

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

more mundane spfl signings.

I think the model the club are following is absolutely correct.

The market for UK nationals is now so fked up due to post-Brexit quotas, that there's just little value for money.

In the domestic market, we got definite success in the past decade in moving for standout players from the smaller-budget top flight clubs (e.g. Shinnie, McLean, Hayes, Ferguson).

Hearts landing Dhanda, Spittal and that Livi jobber is maybe a step down from that (Devlin level signings) - but right now the likely destination for the brightest looking prospects - McCowan, Cameron or Armstrong would likely be the English Championship.  This is almost certainly what Barron has his mind set on.

Shopping in the nordic and eastern European markets is probably like a trip to TK Maxx.  A lot of crap to look through, but in there somewhere are a couple of gems.

I note JT has used the African market significantly too judging by Elfsborg's current squad, so our recruitment dude will be busy with those Mali second division matches.

Edited by tarapoa

12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think the model the club are following is absolutely correct.

The market for UK nationals is now so fked up due to post-Brexit quotas, that there's just little value for money.

In the domestic market, we got definite success in the past decade in moving for standout players from the smaller-budget top flights (e.g. Shinnie, McLean, Hayes, Ferguson).

Hearts landing Dhanda, Spittal and that Livi jobber is maybe a step down from that (Devlin level signings) - but right now the likely destination for the brightest looking prospects - McCowan, Cameron or Armstrong would likely be the English Championship.  This is almost certainly what Barron has his mind set on.

Shopping in the nordic and eastern European markets is probably like a trip to TK Maxx.  A lot of crap to look through, but in there somewhere are a couple of gems.

I note JT has used the African market significantly too judging by Elfsborg's current squad, so our recruitment dude will be busy with those Mali second division matches.

I like our model but I think it requires balance. We can’t build an entire team of data led players like we have in previous windows. 

Signing fewer of those players with a greater level of due diligence and supplementing that with a domestic market (yes brexit has changed it but McGrath and devlin are, unfortunately, two of the best signings from the summer) and loan market to ensure the squad is competitive seems to be a reasonable tweak to the current model, in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

I would like to see a couple of enforcer types in at CB and DMF. A new keeper even if Roos stays, we need competition in that area. And some much needed width in the team. Bojan will go but I think Sokler could take over there with Bavidge getting some first team minutes. 

There is definitely a lot of potential in Sokler.

We don't necessarily need him to reach Bojan levels. Others need to step up to the table and score a few more goals.

McGrath aside.