The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On Gove - I remember him chatting to Peter Allen on 5 Live a few years back and saying he was a Dons fan.

Also recall the Sky cameras showing the crowd at a game at Loftus Road and Gove was sitting there - the commentator didn’t even mention him.

So the Aberdeen, QPR thing is credible.......unlike a lot of things he says.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'd be delighted to have him back. If it's a choice between Hayes and Leigh, which it might not be, I'm going for Hayes every day of the week. 

Do you think he'd be as good as he was? Has barely gotten any game time at Smeltic but who knows.

Turns 33 in summer but no doubt he'd do a job for youse.

On 29/05/2020 at 08:19, RiG said:

Morning Dandies. Little plug for our chat with Ryan (and Charlie) Christie for our ICT podcast. It's mainly ICT focused as you'd expect but there are sections where Ryan chats about Aberdeen and working with McInnes. If you're interested you can listen to the pod here (https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/the-christie-legacy/) or it should pop up in Spotify, iTunes etc shortly.

There should be time stamps as well if you want to jump to a particular section. Cheers!

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

Jonny hayes was excellent for us and I've no doubt mcinnes will be interested. Players returning to clubs doesnt often work out though and I'm not keen on him returning. If he was to return though I don't think he'd be demanding huge wages. 

Derek McInnes was live on Sportsound earlier. He was specifically asked about Jonny Hayes and said that Aberdeen are not in any position to add to their squad. He certainly didn't say he wasn't interested in asking Jonny Hayes to come back. 

Hard to imagine too many clubs will be in a position to sign many players in the near future. Given that so many countries are at different stages of their recovery you would have to think the usual transfer window dates being amended for the short term must be a possibility.

Would guess we’ll maybe bring in some players on loan to replace those we had and have left.

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'd be delighted to have him back. If it's a choice between Hayes and Leigh, which it might not be, I'm going for Hayes every day of the week. 

No ta. A player who is over the hill and picked up a few injuries against a young player with years ahead of him. Leigh every time for me.

Hayes best asset was using his pace to beat folk. Those days are likely done.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

No ta. A player who is over the hill and picked up a few injuries against a young player with years ahead of him. Leigh every time for me.

Hayes best asset was using his pace to beat folk. Those days are likely done.

I just don't think Leigh is a good defender; beaten far too easily and positionally suspect. Hayes was playing at left-back in some pretty important games for Celtic this season, whether through choice or necessity, and seemed to do OK. Saying that, I do understand the age argument and I'm not completely opposed to signing Leigh, but think there is quite a bit of work to be done with him yet if he does join permanently. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I just don't think Leigh is a good defender; beaten far too easily and positionally suspect. Hayes was playing at left-back in some pretty important games for Celtic this season, whether through choice or necessity, and seemed to do OK. Saying that, I do understand the age argument and I'm not completely opposed to signing Leigh, but think there is quite a bit of work to be done with him yet if he does join permanently. 

Was speaking to one of my pals earlier and told him although I thought Hayes did ok at Celtic playing left back that we're not Celtic. Hayes and Tierney before him spend more time in the opposing half.

I loved Hayes but I don't think we'd be welcoming a player if the same ability without his name.

Leigh has things to work on undoubtedly. I'd still have him in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was speaking to one of my pals earlier and told him although I thought Hayes did ok at Celtic playing left back that we're not Celtic. Hayes and Tierney before him spend more time in the opposing half.

I loved Hayes but I don't think we'd be welcoming a player if the same ability without his name.

Leigh has things to work on undoubtedly. I'd still have him in a heartbeat.

I get your point about the different demands of a full-back at Celtic, but I thought he was very good at left-back against Rangers in the Betfred Cup final when they were pinned in their own half for virtually the full game and, if I recall correctly, he played there in a couple of European away games too. If we were going into an important game tomorrow and it was a straight choice between Hayes and Leigh, I'd 100% go for Hayes.

Unfortunately, I think he'll probably be heading down to England even if we are interested. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I get your point about the different demands of a full-back at Celtic, but I thought he was very good at left-back against Rangers in the Betfred Cup final when they were pinned in their own half for virtually the full game and, if I recall correctly, he played there in a couple of European away games too. If we were going into an important game tomorrow and it was a straight choice between Hayes and Leigh, I'd 100% go for Hayes.

Unfortunately, I think he'll probably be heading down to England even if we are interested. 

I guess it depends on how well he's looked after his money. From everything I was told he was asked to go rather than demanding a transfer. We couldn't turn down the guts of £1m plus Christie on loan.

Loved him to bits during his time with us and we did alright getting the fee we did for him.

A good honest pro, but by the time we get back to competitive football he'll be 33. Feel both us and Hayes have moved on since his time with us and for those reasons it's a no from me and wish him good fortune wherever he ends up.

Edited by Sheep62

See Jayden Stockley has tested positive for COVID-19 after having been tested while back in training with Preston for a week. Doesn’t appear to be showing any symptoms so presumably he will be fine.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2020/may/jayden-stockley-tests-positive-for-covid-19/#.XtN_BL5lfyc.twitter

Edited by Rodhull

15 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Probably in the minority here but Hayes was our best left back since Tierney got injured then left. We spent decent money on two left backs since then but if there was a must win game tomorrow I would pick him. As well as the cup final he was thrown in at wing back last year away at Valencia and was one of our better players. His days of being an explosive winger ended up at Dundee when he broke his leg but he is worth another punt for Aberdeen imo with a left back needed. 

I'd absolutely have Hayes back. Love that man.

In a fairly pedestrian side Hayes is anything but, he'd add work rate, tempo and defensive quality to the LB position.

I wouldn't break the bank or hand out a silly deal but if it works for us then brig him home please, Derek.

Unfortunately, we won't be in a position to sign anyone any time soon and other clubs will be scrambling for players in the near future so it may not be possible.

46 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That's another million on the asking price. 

Hes our most valuable asset, way more than McKenna or Cosgrove. He's  easily good enough to play in the premiership down south. 8 million and not a penny less.

6 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Hes our most valuable asset, way more than McKenna or Cosgrove. He's  easily good enough to play in the premiership down south. 8 million and not a penny less.

I'm not sure I would say he's ready for the Premier League yet, but I think he has the potential to play there in the future. I think he would slot into most Championship teams, though. I'd imagine Campbell or McCann will probably beat him to that award, and they are both good players, but, with the caveat that I am biased, I think he's the best central midfielder in the league outside the Old Firm at the moment.