The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

What about Mcginn and Robertson? Obviously I’m not saying Cosgrove is going on to be as good as them but I feel his impact in Scotland isn’t much different to what those players did before heading down south. The fact he’s young and a English will work in his favour too.

If you want we could list all the players from Scotland who have gone South and bombed, but what would be the point of that? It proves nothing and particularly not in the case of Cosgrove.

Think whatever you like, it's a free country. Personally, I will be surprised if Cosgrove is a runaway success in the English Championship as he is up here. It's an ugly, physical brutal league and his physical presence down there will not carry him as far as it does up here.

1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

If you want we could list all the players from Scotland who have gone South and bombed, but what would be the point of that? It proves nothing and particularly not in the case of Cosgrove.

Think whatever you like, it's a free country. Personally, I will be surprised if Cosgrove is a runaway success in the English Championship as he is up here. It's an ugly, physical brutal league and his physical presence down there will not carry him as far as it does up here.

Jayden Stockley had a 1 in 3 goal record in the Championship last season, its a vastly over rated division due to there being two or three high quality sides in it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Not really. My point was that there were recent instances of players showing unusual talent in this league, standing out for non OF teams and getting big money moves and the money spent down there seems to go up all the time.

I don't necessarily think Cosgrove would be a big success down there either but that doesn't mean an English club might not be willing to take the risk.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jayden Stockley had a 1 in 3 goal record in the Championship last season, its a vastly over rated division due to there being two or three high quality sides in it.

How many games did he play? How many goals did he score?

I didn't suggest it was a high quality league, I said it was ugly, physical and brutal. It's a harder league in than ours by fucking miles. There may only be a couple 'quality' teams in there but there's a dozen or more teams who could beat anyone in the division on any given day.

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

Not really. My point was that there were recent instances of players showing unusual talent in this league, standing out for non OF teams and getting big money moves and the money spent down there seems to go up all the time.

I don't necessarily think Cosgrove would be a big success down there either but that doesn't mean an English club might not be willing to take the risk.

I agree with you. I think someone will, maybe Stoke. However, if AFC hold out for £4 or £5 million I don't think they'll get it. If he played for either of the ugly sisters they probably would get £5 million just because of the skewed mentality about those clubs.  Likewise *I* don't think Cosgrove has what it takes to be the success he has been up to do similar in that horrible league but that's just my opinion. Maybe he'll set the heather alight down there too.

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

I don't. Two million British Pounds is what Stoke (allegedly) have in mind. Personally I'd take it, no questions asked, in a heartbeat.

*My* personal opinion for what its worth  is based on this.⬇️

Spoiler

2099533764_2020-01-2723_14_39-SamCosgrove-Stats19_20_Transfermarkt.jpg.7a2e04527c7aa41e1a4f40c5be893c7a.jpg

I couldn't give a flying f**k  tbh if he went down there and never scored again or the perceived standard of our / their leagues or how much some random in a Glasgow based rag value an ugly sisters player or even Jaden Stockleys scoring record in whatever English version of St Johnstone he plays for.

I do give a f**k about starting to demand current market value if we are in a position to.

Do i think he's worth 4-5m ? no.

Do i think we should start the bidding around there? why not .

Would I be happy if we sold him in the summer for £2m. Probably not. But maybe if there's plenty of add-on's.
Would I sell him for £2m with days left of the transfer window in the middle of our worst season in 7 years.
Absolutely f**kin no way. Was the same with the reported £6-7m offer made for McKenna on deadline day a season or so ago.
Offer would have to be lucrative for us to even consider putting ourselves through that sort of stress...

Would I be happy if we sold him in the summer for £2m. Probably not. But maybe if there's plenty of add-on's.

Would I sell him for £2m with days left of the transfer window in the middle of our worst season in 7 years.

Absolutely f**kin no way. Was the same with the reported £6-7m offer made for McKenna on deadline day a season or so ago.

Offer would have to be lucrative for us to even consider putting ourselves through that sort of stress...

Would I be happy to sell one of our best players for a paltry £70k while we are fighting relegation?

It’s all perspective and context. Glad to see you having something to fret over. I would laugh to see you robbed as we were.

Some of the earlier posters here are in need of some humility and acceptance that we’re all diddies default_smile.png

1 hour ago, andrewh said:

Would I be happy to sell one of our best players for a paltry £70k while we are fighting relegation?

It’s all perspective and context. Glad to see you having something to fret over. I would laugh to see you robbed as we were.

Some of the earlier posters here are in need of some humility and acceptance that we’re all diddies default_smile.png

To be fair, some are diddier than others.

Edit: Someone (not me) should come up with a league table of diddiness.

Edited by kingjoey

One of the most often repeated pieces of revisionist claptrap when it comes to AFC (along with toaster affordability, and Brockville saving us from automatic relegation) is around the sacking of Alex Smith.

John McMaster has fallen into the trap in a downmarket tabloid today.

Alex Smith working alongside Jocky Scott gave us some great entertaining football, astute signings and a couple of bits of silverware.

Once Jocky Scott departed following THAT league decider, Alex Smith proved so far out of his depth that his eventual sacking the following February put him and everyone who sat through that season out of their misery.   Willie Miller radically improved us for a couple of seasons, giving us a free scoring direct side, before other reasons (related to ambition and boldness) led to his demise.

Alex Smith on his own was NOT a good manager, and fully deserved to be emptied - and McInnes is nowhere near as bad as that (yet).

Edited by tarapoa

15 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

I agree with you. I think someone will, maybe Stoke. However, if AFC hold out for £4 or £5 million I don't think they'll get it. If he played for either of the ugly sisters they probably would get £5 million just because of the skewed mentality about those clubs.  Likewise *I* don't think Cosgrove has what it takes to be the success he has been up to do similar in that horrible league but that's just my opinion. Maybe he'll set the heather alight down there too.

'kin 'ell 🤯

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-stoke-city-set-sights-on-last-gasp-striker-swoop-7m-will-seal-deal/

Out of contract player.

13 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I do give a f**k about starting to demand current market value if we are in a position to.

Top scorer on a 4 year contract.

it’s all perspective and context.

Context eh.

Glad to see you having something to fret over. I would laugh to see you robbed as we were.

People seem to be forgetting who we are playing next regarding the timing of this EXCLUSIVE rumour that and the fact he could leave for free and he'd have still more than covered our outlay on him.

whats the opposite of fretting? fretless?😉

20 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Seeing a few Carlisle fans claiming that They have up to 30% of a sell on clause for Cosgrove and that McInnes was mistaken in saying there wasn't one previously.

That would be an all time f**k up to put a clause in the deal like that considering he'd already signed a pre-contract.

Desperation on their part most likely.

15 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Good to see. Suppose there is the chance that McInnes is holding back on some details but it doesn't really make sense for there to be a sell on clause anyway. We had him on a pre-contract and were only due to pay a nominal fee. Would make no sense for us to pay more money and also add on some clause (especially a significant sell on share as some are claiming). Seeing as it was Carlisle that approached us to do the deal early and it's not like he was going straight in as our first choice at the time too.

Edited by Rodhull

28 minutes ago, Dele said:

There's Aberdeen fans who wouldn't be happy with £2m for Cosgrove? 

There can be an element of Stockholm Syndrome on how some view our game compared to the English leagues, especially the lower leagues down there.

The market down there is brutally inflated, so clubs up here need to box clever and exploit that if they can - if not in terms of the up front fee, then certainly in terms of add-ons.

The best way to do that is to have the player on a long term contract and for there to be somewhat desperate clubs (i.e. in the last week of a transfer window) competing for his signature.

Sam's form and general demeanour since the break makes me wonder if he's had his head turned somewhere..............

Edited by tarapoa