The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm strictly speaking about play style. All of the players I listed like to take a man on then sometimes have the tendency to double back on themselves and try to beat him again.

Hayes was a knock it past you and then shoot or cross type player.

Nah I agree, I was more referring to HunterAFC's post last night.

Not saying Mcinnes maximised Stewart's ability but it amzes me the amount of people that are willing to let him off with the played out of position narrative. His attitude absolutely stank, f**k him. (Definitely not bitter)

14 minutes ago, Widge said:

Nah he’s more like McGinn. He’s not the quickest and prefers playing off the left so he can cut inside and cross deep or shoot. He’s not slow right enough and is probably more skilful than Hayes, so does hit the byline, but don’t expect him to carry the ball 60/70 yards up the pitch in one go.

For what it’s worth I think he’ll do fine at Aberdeen, played every week he’s good for 5/6 goals a season and that in assists as well. The one player this will benefit is Cosgrove if you keep him, Matty’s crossing is generally very good and in the right areas, so I’d expect him to find Cosgroves head a lot.

It's a shame he'll likely never play with Cosgrove!

I'm not so much fussed about having a ball carrier as much as we miss having someone to make the run in behind the defence that Hayes did. May be more to do with how we are set up though.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nah I agree, I was more referring to HunterAFC's post last night.

Not saying Mcinnes maximised Stewart's ability but it amzes me the amount of people that are willing to let him off with the played out of position narrative. His attitude absolutely stank, f**k him. (Definitely not bitter)

Ah, I assumed it was myself as I was the post immediately before. 

Stewart can obviously only perform as a big fish in a small pond with a team set up for him, when asked to be part of a team not focused on him he failed. Its 90% mental and 10% McInnes not seeing that (though I wonder if hobbling Killie for the second half of the season was enough...)

Hayes wasn't unanimously lauded when he joined and had a bit of a ropey first season but his mentality was spot on. Even when he wasn't having a great game he never hid and was always trying to make something happen.

Think it was Stevie Clark that said there were a number of players in the Scottish Premiership who have the talent for the EPL just lack something mentally.

2 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Stewart can obviously only perform as a big fish in a small pond with a team set up for him, when asked to be part of a team not focused on him he failed. Its 90% mental and 10% McInnes not seeing that (though I wonder if hobbling Killie for the second half of the season was enough...)

Hayes wasn't unanimously lauded when he joined and had a bit of a ropey first season but his mentality was spot on. Even when he wasn't having a great game he never hid and was always trying to make something happen.

Think it was Stevie Clark that said there were a number of players in the Scottish Premiership who have the talent for the EPL just lack something mentally.

It didn't help that Paw Broon had him playing so deep.

When Hayes was having a shocker you'd hope he'd go in to hiding. Nothing he tried would come off and we'd still keep giving him the ball. Shows how strong he is mentally though.

11 hours ago, Vancouver_Don said:

Matty kennedy is going to be a fantastic signing for us.

Mark Gallagher is one to be ultra excited about. He'll go on to big big things. He'll play alongside Lewis Ferguson in the Scotland side one day. McInnes has done well here. Seen him play at youth level and he is an absolute stand out.

I find that hard to believe purely down to the fact no Ross County appears to be bothered he's leaving for a nominal fee.

2 hours ago, Baldie1980 said:

I really wanted to like him, but he just wasn't good enough.

He'll always been fondly remembered by me for hitting a shot at Rugby Park (cup game AFC won on pens) that bent so much that even Roberto Carlos would have said 'fvck me"!

It didn't go in... obviously, but it was some strike.

Yours

aDONis

I really wanted to like him, but he just wasn't good enough.
He'll always been fondly remembered by me for hitting a shot at Rugby Park (cup game AFC won on pens) that bent so much that even Roberto Carlos would have said 'fvck me"!
It didn't go in... obviously, but it was some strike.
Yours
aDONis

I remember that. I was directly behind the post it struck.

Vividly remember shouting ‘don’t fucking shoot!’ As he lined it up but it was some hit.

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Forgot about Ferguson being suspended for this. Would imagine Ojo and Mcgeouch starting but who else in the middle. Hedges maybe? A midfield three of those two and Campbell would be pretty defensive.

Actually now I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if he started Main and Cosgrove together again.

Edited by Rodhull
f**k sake managed to post in here twice thinking it was the Dumbarton game thread.

6 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Ultimately didn't work though, did it (aside from ensuring we finished behind his precious Rangers, I suppose).

13 hours ago, Rodhull said:

According to the BBC McInnes said today there's nothing in the reports linking us to Stephen O'Donnell on a pre-contract.

I wonder if we are still interested in Jason Naismith. He's on loan to Hibs from Peterborough and is one of their better performers this season. We tried to sign him just before he moved to England. I have a feeling we could move back in for him.

McInnes mentioned this week that he's after two more players of the same calibre as McGeough.

I'm anticipating us to sign a left back and a winger on loan. Anderson out on loan to Plymouth may force us to sign another striker for the remainder of the season.

Edited by Vancouver_Don

I would have thought we'll only sign a left back if we get a good opportunity to sell McKenna.

Seems silly to carry a left back for the remainder of the season regardless of Consi and Leigh's injury concerns.

However if Consi is earmarked for left centre back then its a different story