The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't believe that. If he's going on loan then it will be regardless of Cosgrove leaving. No way we're going with Main as our main striker if Cosgrove is sold.

You've been linked to Liam Boyce.

4 hours ago, A96 said:

in the hope that he’ll  get some proper game-time , presumably.  

Too the detriment of the team who pay his wages though.

Cosgrove injured/ knackered, or even just a game where it’s 0-0 into 2nd half, need a goal, look to the bench, if only we had a striker who scores. 

Says a lot about the money down there that Burnley buy a guy for £15 million and he can’t get near the team. Guessing Mckenna would take his place as the much cheaper option as backup.

Would be some move for him but hard to imagine him getting much game time at all.

10 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Says a lot about the money down there that Burnley buy a guy for £15 million and he can’t get near the team. Guessing Mckenna would take his place as the much cheaper option as backup.

Would be some move for him but hard to imagine him getting much game time at all.

Even the most ardent McKenna fan would struggle to seriously claim that he is ready for top league English football but, as they say football is a funny game.

6 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Even the most ardent McKenna fan would struggle to seriously claim that he is ready for top league English football but, as they say football is a funny game.

Oh yeah for sure. Back when he was playing at his best I wouldn't have thought he was ready for it but maybe had the potential to eventually but the way he's played the last year I'm not even convinced he'd play for a lot of teams in the championship.

18 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Not ready to play every week down there. If he is to improve much further he needs out of the SPFL.

Would playing in a better Aberdeen team not help?

The Dons have had a rough time with injuries which has definitely hampered our midfield in particular this season and therefore asked a lot of the defence.

I think that in particular (and Devlin being way out of form) has hampered his progress rather than playing in the SPFL. I think a centre back pairing is only as good as its weakest link and this can mean a yard here or there or being left exposed, as happened at home v Celtic.

The club hold all the cards here and no pressing need to sell (stadium apart) He is under contract to 2023. Id stick until we get an offer of that speculated. whoever goes first from the Dons has to go for top dollar. For me, that is £5million plus for Cosgrove or McKenna, regardless of his issues and bad advice from agent etc this season.

8 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Would playing in a better Aberdeen team not help?

The Dons have had a rough time with injuries which has definitely hampered our midfield in particular this season and therefore asked a lot of the defence.

I think that in particular (and Devlin being way out of form) has hampered his progress rather than playing in the SPFL. I think a centre back pairing is only as good as its weakest link and this can mean a yard here or there or being left exposed, as happened at home v Celtic.

The club hold all the cards here and no pressing need to sell (stadium apart) He is under contract to 2023. Id stick until we get an offer of that speculated. whoever goes first from the Dons has to go for top dollar. For me, that is £5million plus for Cosgrove or McKenna, regardless of his issues and bad advice from agent etc this season.

His poor form and the fact he's already requested a move goes against Aberdeen getting the kind of money offers they did before.

I'd imagine he'd start demanding a transfer if more bids are rejected.

Honestly think McKenna has been getting back towards his best in recent weeks. He’s got his head down and just gets on with things. Could do with being a little quicker at moving the ball when in possession and also he plays it safe too often.

I think he has been better in recent weeks, too. He was probably built up a bit too much during his first season, the novelty of a genuinely good young player breaking through in an important position and establishing himself as a first pick. He can't have been helped by the constant chopping and changing in defence and midfield this season, and in many games the centre-backs having very little protection and support from the midfielders and occasionally the full-backs. I think his form did take a dip, but there were a few factors at play, some of which he had basically no control over. 

9 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Ask any Ayr fan in the season that McKenna was on loan to them, which was the one before he broke through with us and Scotland, if they thought that he was ready for the Scottish Premiership, they would have laughed in your face.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Does anyone have any inside info to say whether Aberdeen are considering calling off their Dubai camp?

How come? The ‘delicate’ political situation? Celtic are at theirs in Dubai so I’d assume we’d still go for ours.