The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 01/12/2019 at 13:12, EdTheDuck said:

Motivational Speaking 101

“Rangers are a better team than us, they have better players but we can win the game. It is important my players believe that when they go out there, that we can do so much well in the game that we can get close to what we want."

Further to the above I think last night's quote is almost as pathetic for different reasons

"I needed to see that from my team, but it also shuts a few people up who questioned that," McInnes said.

45 minutes of application does all that? The missing 6,000 from last night will be convinced to return off the back of a draw, albeit a fighting draw? Show that determination, get in everyone's faces like that regularly and they'll be back in their droves, but one positive half after the usual stand back capitulation won't.

Edited by EdTheDuck
missing word

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 05/12/2019 at 19:47, EdTheDuck said:

Further to the above I think last night's quote is almost as pathetic for different reasons

"I needed to see that from my team, but it also shuts a few people up who questioned that," McInnes said.

45 minutes of application does all that? The missing 6,000 from last night will be convinced to return off the back of a draw, albeit a fighting draw? Show that determination, get in everyone's faces like that regularly and they'll be back in their droves, but one positive half after the usual stand back capitulation won't.

Just thought I'd bring this post back to the top after the shambles of Saturday.

Tbh, we've been heading for a hammering for weeks now. It should have happened last Wednesday, but we somehow dragged it back from the edge. We got lucky against St Mirren, and we threw away points against St Johnstone because McInnes felt like being clever after 60 minutes.

The fact is, we have no midfield. Ferguson's an excellent player, but he can't hold the midfield together by himself.  Ojo's long term injury hasn't helped, and the fact that we signed an absolute dud in Bryson (paying him big wages in the process) has come back to haunt us. Throw in a niggling knock to McGinn and we've had to resort to throwing in two full-backs into midfield with all the uncertainty that goes with it.

There's been a recurring theme to McInnes's team selections over the last couple of seasons......we stumble through pretty much 50 games and at the end of it nobody, least of all Mcinnes, is really sure what our best side is. 

I've no doubt that we'll stumble past Hamilton on Saturday and we'll probably pick up enough points against Livi and Hearts to keep us in 3rd or 4th place before the break.  It's pretty bleak stuff though at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just thought I'd bring this post back to the top after the shambles of Saturday.

Tbh, we've been heading for a hammering for weeks now. It should have happened last Wednesday, but we somehow dragged it back from the edge. We got lucky against St Mirren, and we threw away points against St Johnstone because McInnes felt like being clever after 60 minutes.

The fact is, we have no midfield. Ferguson's an excellent player, but he can't hold the midfield together by himself.  Ojo's long term injury hasn't helped, and the fact that we signed an absolute dud in Bryson (paying him big wages in the process) has come back to haunt us. Throw in a niggling knock to McGinn and we've had to resort to throwing in two full-backs into midfield with all the uncertainty that goes with it.

There's been a recurring theme to McInnes's team selections over the last couple of seasons......we stumble through pretty much 50 games and at the end of it nobody, least of all Mcinnes, is really sure what our best side is. 

I've no doubt that we'll stumble past Hamilton on Saturday and we'll probably pick up enough points against Livi and Hearts to keep us in 3rd or 4th place before the break.  It's pretty bleak stuff though at the moment. 

His insistence on Ferguson playing just in front of the defence (even when Ojo is there) is baffling. Should have kept him further up the park on Saturday and had Campbell taking the ball off the defenders. Campbell had a couple of lovely cross field passes on Saturday. the problem was it had taken about 5 passes to reach him. Hibs were back in shape by then.

Guest Bob Mahelp
28 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

His insistence on Ferguson playing just in front of the defence (even when Ojo is there) is baffling. Should have kept him further up the park on Saturday and had Campbell taking the ball off the defenders. Campbell had a couple of lovely cross field passes on Saturday. the problem was it had taken about 5 passes to reach him. Hibs were back in shape by then.

I looked at the team on Saturday (same team as Wednesday), and the 4 defenders and Cosgrove aside, I couldn't work out for the life of me what Leigh, Vyner, Wilson, Gallagher or Ferguson were meant to be doing or what formation they were meant to be playing in. They didn't look like they had a clue either.

Too many round pegs trying to fit into square holes in this team. No doubt the tombola will be whirring again for Saturday. 

I looked at the team on Saturday (same team as Wednesday), and the 4 defenders and Cosgrove aside, I couldn't work out for the life of me what Leigh, Vyner, Wilson, Gallagher or Ferguson were meant to be doing or what formation they were meant to be playing in. They didn't look like they had a clue either.

Too many round pegs trying to fit into square holes in this team. No doubt the tombola will be whirring again for Saturday. 

I'm always reasonably certain of how we are going to line up when we see the team. Normally my issue is who's going to be the one to get the team up the park.

Vyner was awful for the first goal on Saturday. Took a bad touch that knocked the ball 20 yards up the park under minimal pressure. Things like that are unforgivable.

He had a great game at Fir Park and Del says he thinks he is actually a midfielder. When we lose Doc says he's a defender trying to do a job due to the injury crisis. Make your mind up lads.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm always reasonably certain of how we are going to line up when we see the team. Normally my issue is who's going to be the one to get the team up the park.

Vyner was awful for the first goal on Saturday. Took a bad touch that knocked the ball 20 yards up the park under minimal pressure. Things like that are unforgivable.

He had a great game at Fir Park and Del says he thinks he is actually a midfielder. When we lose Doc says he's a defender trying to do a job due to the injury crisis. Make your mind up lads.

He's clearly a defender trying to make midfield work. He gets himself about and can do the defensive work but several times on Saturday we had opportunities to counter and he is clearly lacking ability to play the necessary forward passes.

I think as well against Rangers it was very clear that neither Leigh or Vyner have the positional sense for midfield. Davis and Jack in that first 40 minutes were taking our midfield completely out the game with one or two simple passes as we were all over the shop.

Ferguson needs some support instead of being the only actual midfielder we have playing just now.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's clearly a defender trying to make midfield work. He gets himself about and can do the defensive work but several times on Saturday we had opportunities to counter and he is clearly lacking ability to play the necessary forward passes.

I think as well against Rangers it was very clear that neither Leigh or Vyner have the positional sense for midfield. Davis and Jack in that first 40 minutes were taking our midfield completely out the game with one or two simple passes as we were all over the shop.

Ferguson needs some support instead of being the only actual midfielder we have playing just now.

Yeah would agree with that. I do think Vyner could do a job there but not with Leigh playing in CM also.

It's now or never for Campbell in my opinion. The myth that Derek doesn't give youth a chance is not true. The real issue is he's not willing to give any of the youngsters a proper run of games to prove their worth like he is with more established players we've signed from elsewhere. If he doesn't trust the lad when we have only other fit CM to fill 3 positions then he never will.

Some of the performances this season suggest there IS a decent team in there. Too often though the line up and/or tactics are just plain wrong. (whether that’s because it is as simple as picking the wrong team/tactics or players not understanding or not liking the formation/tactics I have no idea).

IMO either

McInnes suffers from a lack of self-belief in his own ability as a coach and plays it safe far too often against inferior* opposition

Or

McInnes suffers from over-confidence in his own ability as a coach and tries to play ‘chess’ in games where he could just take the reins off his players and let them have at it.

I had always thought it was the first, because of the big-game-crashes, but maybe It’s the second. Either way it’s probably as good as it’s going to get under McInnes, unless he has an epiphany.

*inferior based on budget and players’ pay

Guest Bob Mahelp

I thought Vyner was awful against both Rangers and Hibs.  He set up Rangers second goal with a nothing pass and was responsible for Hibs' first goal at the weekend. 

I'm not sure at all what he adds to midfield, and it seems that having one decent game against Motherwell means that McInnes thinks he's capable of controlling matches. He isn't. Get him out of that side.

I agree with the statement on Campbell....I'm not sure he's ready for a sustained run in the team, but given that we have no other midfielders available I would get him into the side and push Ferguson further forward.

Anyone knows what the hell is up with Bryson ? It seems that he plays 30 minutes every 6th game or so, then disappears for 2 months. 

Going with the same team was always unlikely to work. 2 very different types of games and opponents so why would the same team/tactic work?

Sevco had a lot of the ball and let’s face it had a better 11 on the pitch than we did. We needed to scrap and harass in that game and hope for the best which we did for the latter 55 minutes.

First half on Saturday the diet **** looked devoid of confidence and there for the taking. We didn’t have an 11 on the field to take advantage of a completely different type of game. 

Then the subs were wrong although it’s easy to criticise in hindsight.

3 at once was a gamble, long time to go incase of injury. Took too long after the goal to make the subs though, a spell where we were totally lost. 
Going to 3 centre half’s at the back was a big gamble too at such an early stage of 2nd half and it backfired.

Keeping Gallagher on was a terrible decision although Main isn’t much better. 
 A wee lucky draw against the **** was al very well but the rest of the games recently have been garbage and the team is a long way from looking settled and decent. Rudderless more like.

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

Some of the performances this season suggest there IS a decent team in there. Too often though the line up and/or tactics are just plain wrong. (whether that’s because it is as simple as picking the wrong team/tactics or players not understanding or not liking the formation/tactics I have no idea).

IMO either

McInnes suffers from a lack of self-belief in his own ability as a coach and plays it safe far too often against inferior* opposition

Or

McInnes suffers from over-confidence in his own ability as a coach and tries to play ‘chess’ in games where he could just take the reins off his players and let them have at it.

I had always thought it was the first, because of the big-game-crashes, but maybe It’s the second. Either way it’s probably as good as it’s going to get under McInnes, unless he has an epiphany.

*inferior based on budget and players’ pay

It's fine margins as well. If we get the goal when we had our best spell of play then we likely go on to win. Once we were chasing we were awful.

I thought Vyner was awful against both Rangers and Hibs.  He set up Rangers second goal with a nothing pass and was responsible for Hibs' first goal at the weekend. 

I'm not sure at all what he adds to midfield, and it seems that having one decent game against Motherwell means that McInnes thinks he's capable of controlling matches. He isn't. Get him out of that side.

I agree with the statement on Campbell....I'm not sure he's ready for a sustained run in the team, but given that we have no other midfielders available I would get him into the side and push Ferguson further forward.

Anyone knows what the hell is up with Bryson ? It seems that he plays 30 minutes every 6th game or so, then disappears for 2 months. 

It should be him and Ojo fighting for that spot ahead of the defenders IMO. 

what are there happened with the natural midfields? glesson, bryson, ojo? I have seen somedays you are playing with 6 defenses, almost 2 of them playing as midfields....

nonetheless I still think you are going to finish 3th. every you dont want we can change you (from hearts).....xd

Guest Bob Mahelp
46 minutes ago, McGarci said:

what are there happened with the natural midfields? glesson, bryson, ojo? I have seen somedays you are playing with 6 defenses, almost 2 of them playing as midfields....

nonetheless I still think you are going to finish 3th. every you dont want we can change you (from hearts).....xd

Drinking early on a Monday afternoon. Top lad 👍

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Drinking early on a Monday afternoon. Top lad 👍

In fairness most of us would if we were watching Hearts this season.

It's true what my dearly departed mother used to say, "There's always someone out there worse of than you are"

36 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Dean Campbell to sign contract extension this week;

Rumours doing the rounds that Stephen O'Donnell has agreed a pre contract with us and that we are after Matty Kennedy from St Johnstone in January on a pre contract.  

McInnes must be the only manager on the planet who's signings you can predict 12 months in advance.

On 12/12/2019 at 08:10, Sheep62 said:

Dean Campbell to sign contract extension this week;

Rumours doing the rounds that Stephen O'Donnell has agreed a pre contract with us and that we are after Matty Kennedy from St Johnstone in January on a pre contract.  

One down :thumsup2

Sure you can guess the second line:whistle