The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

He's never really been given much of a chance at Aberdeen. McInnes clearly doesn't rate him. When Lewis got injured he played a couple of games but McInnes loaned another keeper in rather than play Rogers for the next 3 or 4. I'm surprised he's still at the club to be honest, I thought he would have been pushing for a move away before now.

He's never had much of a chance because he isn't up to it.

Should so a job for Morton but I don't think he'll ever be Premier League standard.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

We've taken Danny Rogers on loan. He did well at Falkirk and Dumbarton and I thought he'd end up getting a Premiership side no bother. Has he not reached his potential?

He was pretty poor in the few of games that he played for us. He got a long term injury early doors, and when he regained fitness, he played 4 games after Samson left. Dean Lyness was signed by Kearney and played instead of Rogers until we signed Hladky. Kearney binned him and chose to go with our U-19 'keeper as back up to Hladky for the remainder of the season.

Alan Stubbs signed him. That should be a big enough warning for you.

Edited by FTOF

We've taken Danny Rogers on loan. He did well at Falkirk and Dumbarton and I thought he'd end up getting a Premiership side no bother. Has he not reached his potential?

I know a Falkirk season ticket holder who told me he was decent for them but also wasn’t sure he was premiership quality.

What little I’ve seen of him for Aberdeen appears to confirm that.

Hope McInnes is bluffing, but if not it's time to play McGinn as a striker again. He's a proven goalscorer and we have plenty cover on either flank. Main looks woeful and turns like a boat, May is impotent and Wilson is either unfit or disinterested (although only getting 10 mins at the weekend was a farce). 

10 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

it's time to play McGinn as a striker again

This this this 😍

As much as I rate him on the wing I always found it slightly strange that he scored 20 odd goals in a season playing up front, then we never played him there again.

Hopefully the last four games have shown the board that we desperately need to recruit more players before the window shuts. We are severely lacking at Centre back and Centre mid. Greig Leigh has been suspect over the last three legs and is a bit of a liability defensively, so a left back would be good also. 

The next two weeks are pivotal for McInnes' future here (if he has one) and the success of the team this season. It's sad that pretty much all of the early optimism has disappeared. 

The body language of pretty much the whole squad over the last few games (since McKenna's transfer request) suggests that all is not well in our changing room. We are badly needing a leader in the middle of the park to keep everyone on the same page with their heads up. Lewis is probably our best player, a great person and role model. It is near impossible for a keeper as captain to exert any pressure on the opposition/refs etc. Shinnie was always going to be tough to replace as a leader but Joe isn't the answer.

1 hour ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Hopefully the last four games have shown the board that we desperately need to recruit more players before the window shuts. We are severely lacking at Centre back and Centre mid. Greig Leigh has been suspect over the last three legs and is a bit of a liability defensively, so a left back would be good also. 

The next two weeks are pivotal for McInnes' future here (if he has one) and the success of the team this season. It's sad that pretty much all of the early optimism has disappeared. 

The body language of pretty much the whole squad over the last few games (since McKenna's transfer request) suggests that all is not well in our changing room. We are badly needing a leader in the middle of the park to keep everyone on the same page with their heads up. Lewis is probably our best player, a great person and role model. It is near impossible for a keeper as captain to exert any pressure on the opposition/refs etc. Shinnie was always going to be tough to replace as a leader but Joe isn't the answer.

Shinnie wasn't even on the bench for derbys first game. The manager change is really bad timing for him, doesn't seem to be in Cocus plans. I wouldn't be all that surprised go see him out on loan and I'd easy gave him back at the dons.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Shinnie wasn't even on the bench for derbys first game. The manager change is really bad timing for him, doesn't seem to be in Cocus plans. I wouldn't be all that surprised go see him out on loan and I'd easy gave him back at the dons.

Managers change like underwear in that league - anyone going into it without a proven track record at that level is taking a huge risk.

4 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

I think this is slightly dramatic.

I suspect our budget is such that anyone else coming in will be your shite loans that most of us hate. Defensive cover is a worry given Devlin's injury problems and Logan's regression. Vyner may turn out to be adequate cover but early signs at St Mirren weren't great.

Centre midfield I think we're not too bad to be honest. Ojo, Ferguson and a fully fit Bryson are a very good first choice 3, and we have cover in Gallagher, Campbell and Wright at a stretch.

Your last paragraph is total conjecture, yes yesterday we lacked confidence and looked fatigued but it's a huge leap to say all not well in the dressing room based on that. You wouldn't have said that 2 weeks ago, I think people just get over excited.

A week now to freshen up and work on things on the training ground. A quicker tempo to our play, players getting closer to Cosgrove, being less one dimensional/predictable in attack and start building some confidence into the back 4 that looked very uncertain yesterday.

I think the leadership thing is a red herring, in all honesty. Bryson started yesterday, hugely experienced professional and probably signed as Shinnie's replacement, but we looked lost and rudderless even with him on the park. Across the back we had Considine, a hugely experienced former club captain, McKenna, who has captained his country and deputised for us, and Logan, another experienced and vocal player. We then have the likes of Ojo, hundreds of senior games, and McGinn, another hugely experienced player with hundreds of games for us and over fifty international caps.

We shouldn't be short on outfield leaders, and I don't think the goalkeeper having the armband is, or should be, any sort of issue - the likes of Shinnie, Hayes, McLean and Rooney, for example, proved time and again that they could play a captain's role, including keeping at the officials, when Jack had it.