The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.

Pretty much spot on.

We're equal second in the league with a Rangers team that have invested much more heavily in players than we have, and we're still in the cup with a fair shot at another semi-final.

The 'famine or a feast' complaints about McInnes come from the fact that rarely do we lose a game unluckily, or are edged out 2-1 or something....or even draw games.

Nope. We either win, or we lose spectacularly in some kind of complete shambles where the whole team loses the plot. That makes the defeats all the more noticeable and leads to knee-jerk criticism of McInnes.

The question we should be asking is, over the course of a season are we on an upward curve or are we getting progressively worse ?

Given the number of changes we've had to make in the last 6 months, I still believe we're improving.

It’s a good points haul so far, although I think it’d be a little bit more palatable if we’d taken points in some of the bigger games even it meant we dropped some in some of the others.

We probably wouldn’t have the bottlers tag then, and as a football fan it’s never fun being ripped for your team constantly shitting it.

It’s a good points haul so far, although I think it’d be a little bit more palatable if we’d taken points in some of the bigger games even it meant we dropped some in some of the others.

We probably wouldn’t have the bottlers tag then, and as a football fan it’s never fun being ripped for your team constantly shitting it.

I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

BUT given our record against the rest of the league. You can surely understand why we are frustrated at surrendering to “them” and where we could have been in the league with a bit more character, confidence and ambition.

And remember the LC humiliation at Fir Park.

So many “If only’s” with most of this squad.

Good post.

I definitely think we lack leadership on the pitch, yes we’ve got Shinnie but Saturday was a prime example when he wasn’t present and the heads going down once we conceded. The rest of the team we don’t have many more obvious leaders - Lewis maybe, and McKenna one day, although he lacks experience for now. I’d like to think McInnes will take that into account for his summer recruitment drive.

We’re also hamstrung by players who aren’t really good enough for a team expected to brush past the lesser teams week in, week out and to compete in the big games. Consi , Reynolds (remember him) and AOC spring to mind. If we’ve hit a plateau and need a really push to get to the next level then there’s no room for sentiment. We shouldn’t be dreading anyone in the squad getting a game or wincing when we hear the team lines. Cheerio.

The gaffer is getting it in the neck at present, with some justification. I do think he changes things up in the bigger games too much. Changing to 3-5-2 worked once in a stuffy game v Partick last season, but since then? Nope.

The squad is a bit stale at the moment though. Few players who’ve been around maybe a bit too long (like the three aforementioned) who aren’t going to get any better, and replacing them with younger lads with a bit more potential is key. This season feels like a bit of a stop gap season given all the loans. Contrary to some of the chat I’ve seen though, I think the gaffer will relish the challenge of rebuilding again.

57 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

Brilliant post 

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Agree with the Barry Robson and add in Flood, Anderson and even Hayes as well. All guys who could deliver in the big games and turn it round its not going our way. Our current team can't handle any kind of adversity in a game. If we concede in a game of any magnitude then we never rally back. Guys like GMS, McLean etc are flat track bullies who are great when you're 2-0 up against a bottom six sided but they can't seem pull it off when playing in front of more than 15,000 people.

The funny thing about last Saturday's game  is that for all the talk that Aberdeen's problems in big games are being caused by McInnes bottling it and being too cautious, the implosion on Saturday was arguably caused by McInnes being (over) aggressive.

In the first half, McInnes congested the midfield and it was just about okay from an Aberdeen point of view, Hibs were maybe slightly shading a 0-0 game of few chances.

At half-time he changed Rooney for May (fair enough) but he also pushed up McGinn and Christie onto the Hibs back line, making the Aberdeen shape more like 3-4-3. Problem being that Hibs then had 3v2 in the centre of midfield and Scott Allan started receiving the ball in loads of space between the defence and midfield lines.

Granted, the 3-4-3 may have worked if you had Shinnie in there rather than Nwakali, but McInnes should have known that it would be a big ask of him and McLean to cope against the Hibs three.

Edited by JamesM82

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

The funny thing about last Saturday's game  is that for all the talk that Aberdeen's problems in big games are being caused by McInnes bottling it and being too cautious, the implosion on Saturday was arguably caused by McInnes being (over) aggressive.

In the first half, McInnes congested the midfield and it was just about okay from an Aberdeen point of view, Hibs were maybe slightly shading a 0-0 game of few chances.

At half-time he changed Rooney for May (fair enough) but he also pushed up McGinn and Christie onto the Hibs back line, making the Aberdeen shape more like 3-4-3. Problem being that Hibs then had 3v2 in the centre of midfield and Scott Allan started receiving the ball in loads of space between the defence and midfield lines.

Granted, the 3-4-3 may have worked if you had Shinnie in there rather than Nwakali, but McInnes should have known that it would be a big ask of him and McLean to cope against the Hibs three.

Dat true dat.

The first half...while pretty uninspiring from both sides....was very even. Hibs never once looked like scoring (maybe one half chance).

Second half the arse fell out of us when we went a goal down quickly. But all we needed to do then was consolidate for 15 minutes and gradually begin to put a pretty pish Hibs defence under pressure.

Instead we flew around like headless chickens leaving vast gaps all over midfield.It couldn't have been easier for Hibs.

Who's to blame ? Not having Shinnie was crucial, but nobody seemed to want to take any personal responsibility and our tactical set-up seemed to confuse the players. As often happens, the absence of one player leads McInnes into re-shuffling everything, inevitably leading to a defeat.

Watt's a classic case of bags of talent, shite attitude. Another Goodwillie, without the baggage that he brought.

If McInnes reckons he can get the best out of him, fair play. I'm not holding my breath.

Going on to this weekend, McInnes cannot play Rooney. We need to press Celtic. We need legs up the park. May, GMS, McGinn. A midfield three of McLean, Chidi and (reluctantly) probably Ball, and pick any back four, because they all have weaknesses. Logan Arnason McKenna and Consie for me, although he'll likely keep O'Connor. SHITEING it tbh

Watt's a classic case of bags of talent, shite attitude. Another Goodwillie, without the baggage that he brought.

If McInnes reckons he can get the best out of him, fair play. I'm not holding my breath.

Going on to this weekend, McInnes cannot play Rooney. We need to press Celtic. We need legs up the park. May, GMS, McGinn. A midfield three of McLean, Chidi and (reluctantly) probably Ball, and pick any back four, because they all have weaknesses. Logan Arnason McKenna and Consie for me, although he'll likely keep O'Connor. SHITEING it tbh

I seem to remember Hearts fans being mildly excited when he went to them but I literally cannot remember a single thing he did at Hearts or if he even played a game for them.

I am pretty resigned about the Celtic game. It's rare that I've gone into a game against Celtic and expected them to win, but often I go into games thinking we've a good chance. Right now I really don't. Hopefully I'll feel different once the weekend arrives.

Tony Watt done an interview with Simon Ferry the other day and he said that Aberdeen tried to sign him when he left Celtic but he wanted out of Scotland so obviously a player that McInnes has liked for a while. He also didn't come across as a complete roaster which I found surprising.

Some good posts over the last page or so, especially from BucksburnDandy. Regarding the lack of 'character' demonstrated by our players in 'big' games, then yes, that almost certainly does have something to do with it. Often, however, it is also has to do with our more limited players - O'Connor, Considine, Rooney, etc. - having their shortcomings and weaknesses more obviously exposed against a slightly better quality of opposition. I don't think it is purely down to a lack of bottle, although I'm not saying that anybody here is arguing that. 

As for Watt, I thought he looked promising when he first joined Hearts, but then seemed to fade away. I also listened to his interview with Ferry, and he appeared to think highly of McInnes. He actually came across as a fairly down-to-earth, grounded bloke. It's a low-risk move for us; get him training, then make him a short-term offer come the summer if he looks good and hungry enough; if not, don't. I thought we might offer him the chance to train with us, given that he confirmed in said interview that McInnes had made him an offer just before he left Celtic. Also, having undertaken a quick Twitter search, he appears to have deleted his tweets at the end of last season specifically designed to wind up Aberdeen fans, including his praise for "Jacko" joining Rangers. He definitely needs to get his head down and try to stay at a club for more than half a season or so.