The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Hopefully our home form can hold up. It's been excellent these last few years

2015/16

P 16 W 11 D 4 L 1 GF 25 GA 13 P 37/ 48  11 points dropped at home.

P 18 W 10 D 1 L 7 GF 30 GA 26 P 31/ 54  23 points dropped away. 

Worst results are against Inverness 1/9pts, St Johnstone 4/12pts Motherwell 4/9*pts.

Best results are against Dundee, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd, all 9/9pts.

Results against Celtic 6/9pts*, Hearts 6/9pts*.

* one game still to play

We were knocked out of both cups in Away ties.

Friday night football has not suited us. 3 Away losses and 1 Home win from the 4 games.

DM has correctly identified where our weaknesses are and will address these as best he can in the summer. 7 to 9 points from the last 4 games is a likely return, unless he plays youngsters once 2nd spot is secured.

I was really disappointed by the manner of defeat last night, as all Dons fans will be. However, looking at the season as a whole, is anyone seriously unhappy with the team's performance this term?

2015/16

P 16 W 11 D 4 L 1 GF 25 GA 13 P 37/ 48  11 points dropped at home.

P 18 W 10 D 1 L 7 GF 30 GA 26 P 31/ 54  23 points dropped away. 

Worst results are against Inverness 1/9pts, St Johnstone 4/12pts Motherwell 4/9*pts.

Best results are against Dundee, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd, all 9/9pts.

Results against Celtic 6/9pts*, Hearts 6/9pts*.

* one game still to play

We were knocked out of both cups in Away ties.

Friday night football has not suited us. 3 Away losses and 1 Home win from the 4 games.

DM has correctly identified where our weaknesses are and will address these as best he can in the summer. 7 to 9 points from the last 4 games is a likely return, unless he plays youngsters once 2nd spot is secured.

I was really disappointed by the manner of defeat last night, as all Dons fans will be. However, looking at the season as a whole, is anyone seriously unhappy with the team's performance this term?

no not really

Not particularly unhappy. Disappointed with the way it's gone; the failings of the January transfer window were obvious and our small squad has come back to bite us. I can't believe there was even a debate at the time. 

We got shafted by Liverpool (yes, it's their own player) and were left with our backup keeper in goal - the same backup keeper that McInnes actively replaced with Ward, suggesting to me that McInnes is aware Brown is not good enough. It has turned out the way as expected; Brown has not filled our defence with confidence. 

Then we've got a complete downturn in form for a few key players. Jack has had a terrible season and his stock has dramatically fallen since this time last year. McGinn hasn't looked interested since the turn of the year. Finally, Reynolds and Taylor have taken it in turns to turn into bombscares. 

Lastly, injuries to key players at the wrong times - Hayes & Rooney are the ones that spring to mind - haven't helped, and that's just unfortunate really. 

McInnes does need to improve though.

This season was significantly worse than last IMO, especially our form against teams other than Celtic. Last season we went on a run losing just one out of 28 games against the other 10 teams from our 3rd game of the season to when Celtic won the league. Since our good run at the start of the season we've won 13 of our 26 games. We've managed to beat a poorer Celtic team twice which is an improvement on last term but our results against the rest have been very poor.

Chopping and changing our team hasn't helped. Last season we had a largely settled back 4 from game to game and had extended runs of clean sheets. We then signed the best left back in the league and it resulted in constant alterations to the side as he moved between defence and midfield and I believe this has affected the performances of Considine, Reynolds and Taylor. 

People have mentioned Jack should doing more to lead the team but I don't particularly blame him (unless he only stayed because he was given the armband). He should never have been made captain as he had previously displayed little to suggest that he had the ability to do so. He's still a good player but giving him the captaincy has ramped up the expectations surrounding him and his personality, and even playing style, don't match this. People picture a good captain as being hard as nails, flying into challenges, shouting at teammates etc. and Jack has never been that type of player. He does his job quietly in midfield and previously did it well. I wouldn't remove it before the end of the season but it is clear that Shinnie is a much better candidate. 

At least McInnes has identified what we need in the summer window. We need a b*****d in the middle of the park who had win the ball and physically assert himself on the opposition. Someone who the opposition's fans hate. Goalkeeper is another key area; signing a keeper who had spent 10 years in league 2 was never going to work and we need to look outwith our usual scouting area to find what we need as I don't think there's a suitable keeper in the SPFL. Another centre back would also be welcome to play alongside Taylor and another option up front would be welcome, although Shankland has done well recently for St Mirren.

Definite areas for improvement next season. We have been unlucky in losing Ward and Rooney at important times and I dare say if Celtic had lost Gordon and Griffiths at similar times they would have suffered. We can't let ourselves fall behind Celtic, Hearts and the Rangers next season so some changes are needed.

Its not that long ago that me and some mates were cheering on the Dons in the Euro Qualifiers..Some great games but i wonder if the early start has an effect come the end of season ?? Folk that shout for summer football forget its already here ...

Its not that long ago that me and some mates were cheering on the Dons in the Euro Qualifiers..Some great games but i wonder if the early start has an effect come the end of season ?? Folk that shout for summer football forget its already here ...

St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup having started the season early to play in Europe so that argument doesn't hold sway with me.

I have watched Aberdeen for the last 20 (that I remember) and can honestly say this is the most disappointed and let down I have felt. This is a pretty crazy statement when you consider the horrible football I have watched in the past (shout out to pele, Craig Brown and Mr mghoo). On paper this should really be considered one of our best seasons but is doesn’t feel like that.

When I was leaving the Tynecaslte last week I did wonder if 20 years down the line i would look back and say "this was the season we should have won the league". I just feel it was a golden opportunity missed and the thought I may never see us lift the title is depressing.

I can’t shake the thought of “what ifâ€, I understand that is a dangerous game. However, what if Ward had stayed, am sure people will argue but I believe we would have at least another 6 points in the bag. What if we had added a few big name players in the summer/January like we should have?

I have watched Aberdeen for the last 20 (that I remember) and can honestly say this is the most disappointed and let down I have felt. This is a pretty crazy statement when you consider the horrible football I have watched in the past (shout out to pele, Craig Brown and Mr mghoo). On paper this should really be considered one of our best seasons but is doesn’t feel like that.

When I was leaving the Tynecaslte last week I did wonder if 20 years down the line i would look back and say "this was the season we should have won the league". I just feel it was a golden opportunity missed and the thought I may never see us lift the title is depressing.

I can’t shake the thought of “what ifâ€, I understand that is a dangerous game. However, what if Ward had stayed, am sure people will argue but I believe we would have at least another 6 points in the bag. What if we had added a few big name players in the summer/January like we should have?

This pretty much sums up my feelings, although I pride myself in seeing things with a bit of perspective.

It really hit me yesterday when Celtic dropped points again, at home to Ross County.  Cast iron proof that this was the year of opportunity, the year to really push them.  

I don't want to accuse the team of bottling anything, I don't think it's fair and I think that rhetoric is tabloid noise.  I actually think that in too many games this season we have been dragged into a battle.  The type of battle that relies on marginal incidents deciding the game.  We have won many games in that respect, where the game is decided on one mistake, one piece of brilliance etc etc.  However, when you are dragged into a battle most weeks, inevitably there will be stumbles, mistakes.  See Hearts, see Motherwell, See Caley, See October!

I am very proud of our current team, probably the most proud of any Aberdeen team in my memory. However, I agree with Mackiemyday that when we reflect on this season it will be one of regret, one of 'what if', one of 'will we ever see such an opportunity again'.

Very sad, but still proud of the team.  COYR.

My feeling is that this one has been a season of stagnation, rather than progress. While we were desperately unlucky with Ward, it is safe to say that McInnes's transfer business outwith Shinnie has been nothing short of woeful. McLaughlin, Parker, Quinn were all poor signings, and the failure to recall Danny Rogers has proved costly. While Church has scored some goals, he is exactly the same as Rooney - great poacher but cannot hold a ball up or play back to goal.

In addition, tactically we have been found totally wanting at times. The last three away games provide a case-in point. Changes to the backline in all three (there have been far too many this season, rarely settling the defence down), a woeful change in shape at St Johnstone which only served to bring pressure on our already creaky defence.

Additionally, the floating roles that the three players behind the striker seem to have been afforded have led to more narrowness, and when the ball goes wide to our full backs, they have no options up the line for 3 or 4 seconds, which slows us up. This has led to a lot of hoofball from the backline, who can't feed the ball forward and wide early enough. It has limited McGinn's effectiveness in particular, having not provided an assist since December. As previously mentioned, we now have no striker who can play back to goal (for all Goodwillie's laziness, he could play back to goal), meaning the three aforementioned defences have had easy games.

However, Derek McInnes isn't the only one to blame - the players have shown a total lack of belief and character in themselves. The three sides we have in particular dropped points against (Motherwell, ICT & St Johnstone) have made the games into midfield battles, and we have won two out of ten of them so far. That simply is not good enough. More evidence of this was provided against Hearts at Tynecastle twice since the turn of the year.

While things are a lot better than under Brown, McGhee etc, this really has been a frustrating season, and one where the deficiencies of last season have not been addressed in the slightest. With Celtic regressing, it feels like a great opportunity missed. This summer is going to be a defining one for McInnes and Docherty.

It's been a frustrating season and yes we've dropped some silly points and yes we probably will look back with a sense of what if.

However, I think some of the criticisms of the board and of Deek are a bit harsh. People have said we need a b*****d in the middle of the park and we should've done something about it in January. We did, we got £200k together, probably not easy for AFC, and went to sign Tansey. Perhaps there should've been a back up target in place but Deek appears to know exactly who and what he wants and won't settle for a squad filler. (Although I acknowledge the signings of Parker and McLaughlin)

I'm very confident he'll have assessed what we need (goalie to challenge rogers, rb if shay goes, cb as Taylor and Reynolds have gone backwards although I wouldn't give up on them yet, said b*****d in midfield and back up to Rooney) and will get it over the summer. I still think with our first choice 11 all firing we are a fearsome team. McLean, McGinn, Hayes and Rooney all on top form with Logan and Shinnie providing support in wide areas and we are pretty formidable. I suppose the worry is injuries and inconsistencies from those named have been the issue.

I'm optimistic for next year and think we'll comfortably finish in the top 2.

Edited by 10menwent2mow

I suppose the worry is injuries and inconsistencies from those named have been the issue.

That’s the problem though, inconsistency has cost us this year massively.

Which means we have got to go out and put a bigger squad together for next year. Guys who can come in to the team and offer something different then we already have. Plan B type players. Take the signing of Church for example, a very similar player to Rooney but just not as good. I don’t think that’s a great use of the budget, why not go for a target man type player or someone with real pace?

Another thing about players being inconsistent is if people like Mcginn and Hayes played to their top level every week they wouldn’t be at Aberdeen.