The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

22 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Wilson was a massive disappointment although he was excellent the last 4 games after the split. 

He certainly showed more than he had before in the second half of each of the last two games. But it’s stretching it to say he was excellent.

If he was prepared to take a masssive pay cut , so that his wage was no higher than any other player , I’d be happy enough for us to sign him up for one or two years

Guest Bob Mahelp
27 minutes ago, A96 said:

He certainly showed more than he had before in the second half of each of the last two games. But it’s stretching it to say he was excellent.

If he was prepared to take a masssive pay cut , so that his wage was no higher than any other player , I’d be happy enough for us to sign him up for one or two years

There's definitely a player in there. Maybe not at Premiership level but with consistency and luck with injuries certainly good enough to be a top striker in the SPL.

He's got pace to burn, good positional awareness, is two footed, and can hit a mean shot. He just (apparently) lacks the full-on commitment necessary to make it big.

I'm sure that McInnes would love to take a gamble on him if the price was right. But it won't be.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Think that kills the rumour about offering Wilson a contract when he is released and GMS isn't.

Wilson was a massive disappointment although he was excellent the last 4 games after the split. Best to move on without him as you can see he has the talent but i'm not sure if he has the work rate to be successful. 

In some ways, yes. But one of my favourite  moments of the season was the 'f**k me' look on the faces of Livi defenders when Wilson came on and turned the New Year game our way. 

They simply didn't expect anyone to have that pace. It did show exactly what he's capable of.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Aye Wilson was a player I really flip flopped on throughout the season. Was at his first game where he scored the winner v Motherwell, was at the Livi game where he came on and transformed our attack, and watched the Hearts game on telly where McInnes shifted him out wide and he assisted both goals and played really well. When he's good, he's really good. But you're maybe talking five or six matches all season. The rest of the time he's done literally nothing. A team will get the best out of him at some point in his career. I just don't know if we'll be that team. It would be pretty frustrating for ANOTHER striker to leave Aberdeen and go on to be amazing somewhere else. 

Edited by RussellAnderson

He'd have been a sensational signing on a permanent last summer but the shipped has sailed now.

Poor season so happy for as many lads as possible to leave to allow a big freshen up of things

Wilson was signed as a number nine, someone to lump it up to/ link up with May/ be a penalty box forward like Rooney. Whatever Derek's plans were it didn't work out and he struggled to find a role for him in the team. Last few games he more suited to playing out wide. If/when GMS fucks off, if a sensible contract can be arranged he might be worth a chance

Wilson was signed as a number nine, someone to lump it up to/ link up with May/ be a penalty box forward like Rooney. Whatever Derek's plans were it didn't work out and he struggled to find a role for him in the team. Last few games he more suited to playing out wide. If/when GMS fucks off, if a sensible contract can be arranged he might be worth a chance

Derek loves versatile players and also loves putting a striker out wide on occasion, and for all Wilson underwhelmed at times, he’s been far more effective than Rooney or anyone else ever was out there - suspect this might play a part in him being keen to keep him.

11 hours ago, d31 said:

I'm not as sure we'll sign Ball. 

Signing for us as a squad player would be a big drop in wages - I suspect we were not able to agree terms. Good luck to him

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's definitely a player in there. Maybe not at Premiership level but with consistency and luck with injuries certainly good enough to be a top striker in the SPL.

He's got pace to burn, good positional awareness, is two footed, and can hit a mean shot. He just (apparently) lacks the full-on commitment necessary to make it big.

I'm sure that McInnes would love to take a gamble on him if the price was right. But it won't be.

We are currently competing with jobseekers allowance in the salaries stakes for these two. 

Their expectations might be warped by what they have had in the past but our chances of signing either depend on how realistic they are about the offers that might come in. 

Being second pick at Aberdeen is not a great CV entry if you want megabucks

If the c***s got any “ambition” he’d be looking for first team football.
Although these days most folk seem to think ambition = benchwarming for £20k+ a week. 

Correct. He should spend a couple of seasons proving he’s an actual footballer, he’s got the ability. If he can put together a consistent season or two he’ll get a big move after. Whether that’s with us or not I’m not sure. He’d be mad to prioritise money given the trajectory his careers taken so far.

10 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Derek loves versatile players and also loves putting a striker out wide on occasion, and for all Wilson underwhelmed at times, he’s been far more effective than Rooney or anyone else ever was out there - suspect this might play a part in him being keen to keep him.

Totally agree.

Wilson has the capability to play as a number 9, 10, or a wide player. He also has pace and movement which is absolutely essential if Cosgrove is upfront .

I’m pretty the management would like to keep him, but it’s all down to dosh.

I reckon he could go on to be a big player if he stays and plays.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Looks like Aberdeen have some major rebuilding to do if they are to challenge Rangers for second again.

We're in a fortunate position that only two players from our main XI have gone but we were in need of a rebuild anyway to be honest.

59 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Real shame that Stewart couldn’t regain the form he showed elsewhere, never really looked up for it.

Strange that Rangers are showing an interest.

I thought one of Stewart's best games for us was the 2-4 midweeker against Sevco at Pittodrie.

We were all over them in the second half and Stewart was waltzing past their defenders as if they weren't there - but then tended to be over elaborate.

Suspect that Gerrard decided, on the basis of that and games vs Kilmarnock earlier in the season, that he was worth a punt......