The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. We've relied on having good players? Well, yes naturally. 

You're right about the second point though. He certainly has a profile of player he goes for. I think we could do with casting our net a little further afield. Cadden is exactly the sort we should be aiming for, I was at the Motherwell game today and he was terrific. Gboly Ariyibi was another who played well. Turnbull was just about as good as any player I've seen this season and is MUCH too good for us. Any 'Well fans who chance on reading this: enjoy him. 

The compensation thing is still a  bit confusing to me, and I don't know all the rules on it. If Cadden was more than 250k it wouldn't represent particularly good value. 

The compensation doesn't have a formula, but takes into account a number of factors: age, years at club, first team appearances, offer on table from existing club and substantiated interest from other clubs. This only applies if an agreement can't be reached between clubs. 

There is a development fee that uses a time based formula and effectively gives a minimum for the compensation. For Cadden, for example, this would be about £180k.

Somebody earlier extrapolated from Telfer and Fergusson tribunals based on Cadden's length of service at well. I don't think it's that simple and age may count against Motherwell here as he can walk for nothing next season. 

The compensation doesn't have a formula, but takes into account a number of factors: age, years at club, first team appearances, offer on table from existing club and substantiated interest from other clubs. This only applies if an agreement can't be reached between clubs. 
There is a development fee that uses a time based formula and effectively gives a minimum for the compensation. For Cadden, for example, this would be about £180k.
Somebody earlier extrapolated from Telfer and Fergusson tribunals based on Cadden's length of service at well. I don't think it's that simple and age may count against Motherwell here as he can walk for nothing next season. 

Yeah, you’d think Motherwell would be shooting themselves (and the player) in the foot by holding out for 600k for a decent player like Cadden, and would likely come to an agreement with whoever wished to sign him.

What happens if the player doesn’t want to sign an extension but no club wants to pay the compo? Are there any recent examples of this happening?

59 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

What happens if the player doesn’t want to sign an extension but no club wants to pay the compo? Are there any recent examples of this happening?

Is there not "loopholes", in that players can move abroad for nothing?

We signed Drey Wright from Colchester last Summer for nothing, while English clubs doing the same wouldve been paying a figure that was reported as being "well into six figures", although I dont think the rule works the other way around. 

Can imagine an American team could sign him for nothing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We signed Drey Wright from Colchester last Summer for nothing, while English clubs doing the same wouldve been paying a figure that was reported as being "well into six figures", although I dont think the rule works the other way around. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

They’d end up without a club in that case

Or the sign with someone as an amateur

I think RandomGuy's scenario is more likely. I'd not considered cross border transfers. 

13 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Yeah, you’d think Motherwell would be shooting themselves (and the player) in the foot by holding out for 600k for a decent player like Cadden, and would likely come to an agreement with whoever wished to sign him.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

They’d end up without a club in that case

Or the sign with someone as an amateur

Fifa have compensation rules. 

There is a "loophole" where these don't apply if the transfer is to a category 4 club. Apparently these are meant to be amateur or part time. The local Association gets to categorise. Surely neither the SFA nor St J are Diddy enough for this to apply? 

Fifa rules don't have the dev fee backstop though. Maybe a tribunal without this deminimis is more likely to agree a zero fee? 

We had a situation with John McGinn when his contract ran out. We left the offer on the table but he wouldn't sign, he went through all summer without a club.

Then rumours started of an American team being interested and we wouldn't be due compensation. Then Hibs were trying to low ball us, so we came to an agreement that Hibs could have him for about 200k and we would get 33% of any future transfer fee. Worked out well for everyone, eventually.

That loophole sounds like it could easily be exploited.

For example, you get in touch with an American club and the player's agent, and agree the Americans put an offer in for this player to pick him up for free, once they've got the players registration, they sell him to the interested Scottish club for a fee of £100k or whatever.

Player and agent get the move they were after, Americans get a six figure sum for filling out some paperwork, and the Scottish club get their player on the cheap.

I'd make a random guess that the Dons would be interested in Cadden for up to £200k but say good luck to Well and move on if they are still quoting the £600k.

Safe to say Well will have to reduce their demands but Dons dont have time to hang on all summer for that

Just now, AngusTheBull said:

Apparently we’ve been chatting to Djoum  at Hearts - possibly signed on a pre-contract. No idea what to make of him tbh but I was under the impression he’d been a bit shite this year

He's a good player in a winning or dominant team. Tends to disappear when the chips are down in my opinion.

I can very believe we'd speak to Djoum - find it hard to believe he'd end up at Pittodrie. 

After our long pursuit of McGeouch in 2018 you'd guess he'll be on the radar for a season loan

Kennedy would be a no brainer if he was out of contract. A year to go though so dont see that happening.

37 minutes ago, d31 said:

After our long pursuit of McGeouch in 2018 you'd guess he'll be on the radar for a season loan

McGeouch is a classic McInnes signing. Scottish player, previously interested, went down south to limited success. 

Usually we have to wait longer than a season to get a hold of them though.