The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

One of the problems we have is that as a team under McInnes we've always been reliant on certain individual players......Hayes, McLean, Rooney, Shinnie and to a lesser extent Jack and (the first version of) Nial McGinn.

Once these players leave the club we have to keep on re-inventing ourselves. I'm not sure who within the current set of players will or can step up next season to be our 'main man' once Shinnie goes.....Ferguson maybe, or even a fully fit GMS if he decides to stay. 

Failing that, we're relying on McInnes pulling another rabbit out of the hat. Keep an eye out for the type of player he likes.....a player in his mid to late 20's with current or previous SPL experience, physically strong and /or a natural leader, either looking for a step up or to kick start his career after a move to England. 

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Bob Mahelp

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

One of the problems we have is that as a team under McInnes we've always been reliant on certain individual players......Hayes, McLean, Rooney, Shinnie and to a lesser extent Jack and (the first version of) Nial McGinn.

Once these players leave the club we have to keep on re-inventing ourselves. I'm not sure who within the current set of players will or can step up next season to be our 'main man' once Shinnie goes.....Ferguson maybe, or even a fully fit GMS if he decides to stay. 

Failing that, we're relying on McInnes pulling another rabbit out of the hat. Keep an eye out for the type of player he likes.....a player in his mid to late 20's with current or previous SPL experience, physically strong and /or a natural leader, either looking for a step up or to kick start his career after a move to England. 

Any thoughts ?

Dylan McGeough (sp?) 

Chris Cadden

Would Cadden not still likely require a decent fee to Motherwell for his development? Couldn't see us paying that for him, especially as he seems to have fallen off a cliff this season?

Could see Mcgeough coming back on loan up here as he looks down the pecking order at Sunderland. Would not mind us going in for him at all.

Edited by Rodhull

49 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Would Cadden not still likely require a decent fee to Motherwell for his development? Couldn't see us paying that for him, especially as he seems to have fallen off a cliff this season?

Could see Mcgeough coming back on loan up here as he looks down the pecking order at Sunderland. Would not mind us going in for him at all.

Yeah, we'd be due compensation. The compensation we quoted when Hearts low balled with £100k a while back was £600k. Link - The Sun

It was discussed over in the Hearts thread but if you use the £238k you guys had to pay for Ferguson as a benchmark Cadden's been at Motherwell 13 years vs Ferguson's 5 with Accies and has almost 10 times the number of first team appearances (135 vs Ferguson's 14). He's also got 12 u21 caps and 2 full caps so based on the comp Rangers got for Telfer and Accies got for Ferguson then regardless of how unlikely the £600k figure seems proportionate.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, we'd be due compensation. The compensation we quoted when Hearts low balled with £100k a while back was £600k. Link - The Sun

It was discussed over in the Hearts thread but if you use the £238k you guys had to pay for Ferguson as a benchmark Cadden's been at Motherwell 13 years vs Ferguson's 5 with Accies and has almost 10 times the number of first team appearances (135 vs Ferguson's 14). He's also got 12 u21 caps and 2 full caps so based on the comp Rangers got for Telfer and Accies got for Ferguson then regardless of how unlikely the £600k figure seems proportionate.

In that case, best not. 

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah I knew there was some kind of a story like that on him in the past and again I think when we were linked with him before the fee being mentioned was too substantial to be realistic for us to pay. Don’t think he’s played that much for you this season either has he so it’s not even like he’s in amazing form? No idea if that’s down to injuries or just because your other players coming through have kept him out.

Makes me laugh when players still get a slagging and ridiculed by our support when they hardly ever bloody played a match for us....

The Nicky Maynard one being a prime example.

21 goals for soon to be promoted Bury this season in 35 games (Rooney has 20/37 in the league below for a comparison)

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What a fucking servant he’s been.  

Cut him open and he’ll bleed red.

Actually know for a fact he's been hoping for a move to the English championship for about ten years now.  Never materialised, but simple matter of tripling his wages.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

You couldn’t think of a better lie than that?

Would you not want to triple your wages?  Why would a footballer be different?  Anyway believe it or don't.  A friend of his told me he said that.

On 26/04/2019 at 15:11, Bob Mahelp said:

Any thoughts ?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. We've relied on having good players? Well, yes naturally. 

You're right about the second point though. He certainly has a profile of player he goes for. I think we could do with casting our net a little further afield. Cadden is exactly the sort we should be aiming for, I was at the Motherwell game today and he was terrific. Gboly Ariyibi was another who played well. Turnbull was just about as good as any player I've seen this season and is MUCH too good for us. Any 'Well fans who chance on reading this: enjoy him. 

The compensation thing is still a  bit confusing to me, and I don't know all the rules on it. If Cadden was more than 250k it wouldn't represent particularly good value.