The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/exodus-will-see-dons-look-abroad-in-hunt-for-new-players/?fbclid=IwAR0hEN5NnUNdl6BDw-GT7yGf5Jjoz8Zg_fQicRqtMX_EXbRXzgDkyQ1tjvE

Glad to see the club looking outside of the UK for new players, it's frustrating that it's taken so long though. Our rivals have been doing it for years whilst we've been pissing money away on journeymen from the English lower leagues.
It's a shame Cardona didn't fancy the move here, he certainly would've sparked a bit of a buzz within the support at the start of the season. Who in their right mind would turn down Aberdeen to stay at Barcelona or go to Eibar? :lol:
Glad to see Considine is in talks over a new deal. I'd re-sign Cerny too, doubt we could get another keeper of that quality who would be happy to sit on the bench. Can't imagine his wages are that high either given his previous clubs. 
This window really is make or break for McInnes. The supporters are understandably becoming frustrated with our brutal tactics and horrendous inconsistency, a couple of wins at Ibrox doesn't make up for a season of shite. The majority of his previous signings have been fucking woeful, and the fact that we are having to replace eleven players in one window is a ridiculous, worrying situation to be in.

Majority of signings ‘fucking woeful’? Really?

In by far his worst season were on course for Europe, reached a cup final and semi final and knocked out by Celtic on both occasions. In terms of performance this is about where Aberdeen ‘should’ be on budget measures.

There’s legitimate criticisms and this is a key window but I think you need to turn down the hyperbole.

55 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Majority of signings ‘fucking woeful’? Really?

In by far his worst season were on course for Europe, reached a cup final and semi final and knocked out by Celtic on both occasions. In terms of performance this is about where Aberdeen ‘should’ be on budget measures.

There’s legitimate criticisms and this is a key window but I think you need to turn down the hyperbole.

Good
Joe Lewis
Shay Logan
GMS
Shinnie
Devlin
Ferguson
Cosgrove
Lowe
McLean
Rooney
Christie

Mixed
Hoban
Halford 
Wilson
Gleeson
O'Connor
Ball
May
Arnason
Stewart
Taylor
Stockley
Church

Bad
Forrester
Maynard
Nwakali
Storey
Woodman
Nuttall
Alexander
Tate
Collin
Goodwillie
Daniels
Driver
Zola

My views on the signings made during his time here. Whilst we've signed some good players, it seems to be one out of every three.  There was a good core of players when he arrived, a few of which are still here, but the ones that have left haven't been replaced with equivalent quality. Obviously that isn't the easiest job in the world given our budget, but when you look at some of the players that our rivals have signed and the performances that they are able to get from them, we can definitely do better.

Good
Joe Lewis
Shay Logan
GMS
Shinnie
Devlin
Ferguson
Cosgrove
Lowe
McLean
Rooney
Christie
Mixed
Hoban
Halford 
Wilson
Gleeson
O'Connor
Ball
May
Arnason
Stewart
Taylor
Stockley
Church
Bad
Forrester
Maynard
Nwakali
Storey
Woodman
Nuttall
Alexander
Tate
Collin
Goodwillie
Daniels
Driver
Zola

My views on the signings made during his time here. Whilst we've signed some good players, it seems to be one out of every three.  There was a good core of players when he arrived, a few of which are still here, but the ones that have left haven't been replaced with equivalent quality. Obviously that isn't the easiest job in the world given our budget, but when you look at some of the players that our rivals have signed and the performances that they are able to get from them, we can definitely do better.

Ok so not ‘majority fucking woeful’ then?

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Fucking woeful was maybe a bit extreme. Some could be argued either way, but one decent player out of every three seems to be the average.

I suspect that one in three would be about average for pretty much every club in world football.

Fucking woeful was maybe a bit extreme. Some could be argued either way, but one decent player out of every three seems to be the average.

Except what you’ve basically said is one third very good signings that have become key first team players, one third that have contributed to the team but are not world beaters and one third write offs.

For a club at our level in the markets we operate in that doesn’t seem too bad a record to me? Additionally, in your original post you admitted the club is hampered by a flawed scouting network.

Recent windows have been markedly poorer and he needs to accept responsibility for that but as I originally said, the hyperbole needs toned down a bit.

ETA - there’s also some on the bad list I would challenge. For example, Neil Alexander wasn’t a bad signing as such, in fact that’s an excellent back up keeper to have, joe Lewis was just terrific.

32 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Good
Joe Lewis
Shay Logan
GMS
Shinnie
Devlin
Ferguson
Cosgrove
Lowe
McLean
Rooney
Christie

Mixed
Hoban
Halford 
Wilson
Gleeson
O'Connor
Ball
May
Arnason
Stewart
Taylor
Stockley
Church

Bad
Forrester
Maynard
Nwakali
Storey
Woodman
Nuttall
Alexander
Tate
Collin
Goodwillie
Daniels
Driver
Zola

The same rivals we comfortably finish above every season? I keep hearing how our rivals do everything better than us but results suggest the opposite.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Hearts, Hibs and Rangers have been signing laughable dross for years now.  And their performances and league positions have reflected that.

Oh, there has been the odd diamond in the shite but in the main I would stand McInnes's signing record up against those of any of the managers that have come and gone at these clubs.

7 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

This window really is make or break for McInnes. The supporters are understandably becoming frustrated with our brutal tactics and horrendous inconsistency, a couple of wins at Ibrox doesn't make up for a season of shite. The majority of his previous signings have been fucking woeful, and the fact that we are having to replace eleven players in one window is a ridiculous, worrying situation to be in.

This is mental - you have a cracking management team.

5 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Good
Joe Lewis
Shay Logan
GMS
Shinnie
Devlin
Ferguson
Cosgrove
Lowe
McLean
Rooney
Christie

Mixed
Hoban
Halford 
Wilson
Gleeson
O'Connor
Ball
May
Arnason
Stewart
Taylor
Stockley
Church

Bad
Forrester
Maynard
Nwakali
Storey
Woodman
Nuttall
Alexander
Tate
Collin
Goodwillie
Daniels
Driver
Zola

No mention at all of Barry Robson  or  Flood ........both should be added to the “good” list, I reckon.

And why do you think Woodman was a bad signing ? ...... I thought he did reasonably well when called upon.  Worth his place in the “mixed” squad , at least

Not sure how Alexander could be listed as a bad signing. He was signed as a backup and as Lewis has probably turned out to be our best permanent keeper in at least 15 years there was never any need to play him. That doesn’t necessarily make him a bad signing.

Also Church for the amount of goals in the time he was here would definitely make him a good signing for me. 

Edited by Rodhull

Aye, McInnes' transfer policy the last couple of windows has been questionable,  but to say it's been an overall failure is mental. There's been a total stand out signed just about every window. 

Summer 13: Flood/Robson

Jan 14: Rooney/Logan

Summer 14: Taylor (ok maybe not a stand out but certainly was an able performer for a good while)

Jan 15: McLean

Summer 15: Shinnie

Jan 16: Church (scored a load of goals)

Summer 16: Lewis

Jan 17: Christie

Summer 17: STEVIE MAY (nah jk GMS though)

Jan 18: Cosgrove/Devlin

Summer 18: Ferguson/Lowe

Jan 19: Lowe (again)

It's not like all his successes have come in a burst, he's been pretty consistent across each window, signing very good players. Some of the failures can be explained (eg panic buying Maynard) and some have to go down as disasters (the  Forrester and Gleeson  situation this season), but I think you'd struggle to find a manager at  our level who works to a dramatically higher success ratio.  Levein doesn't do it at Hearts, Lennon didn't at Hibs. 

I honestly just think some of our fans are bored. We've been at the same "quite good" level for too long and folk have itchy feet and want change  for the sake of change. Nae me though. I wouldn't trade Derek for any other manager in the top flight right  now, Clarke included. 

Aye, McInnes' transfer policy the last couple of windows has been questionable,  but to say it's been an overall failure is mental. There's been a total stand out signed just about every window. 
Summer 13: Flood/Robson
Jan 14: Rooney/Logan
Summer 14: Taylor (ok maybe not a stand out but certainly was an able performer for a good while)
Jan 15: McLean
Summer 15: Shinnie
Jan 16: Church (scored a load of goals)
Summer 16: Lewis
Jan 17: Christie
Summer 17: STEVIE MAY (nah jk GMS though)
Jan 18: Cosgrove/Devlin
Summer 18: Ferguson/Lowe
Jan 19: Lowe (again)

It's not like all his successes have come in a burst, he's been pretty consistent across each window, signing very good players. Some of the failures can be explained (eg panic buying Maynard) and some have to go down as disasters (the  Forrester and Gleeson  situation this season), but I think you'd struggle to find a manager at  our level who works to a dramatically higher success ratio.  Levein doesn't do it at Hearts, Lennon didn't at Hibs. 
I honestly just think some of our fans are bored. We've been at the same "quite good" level for too long and folk have itchy feet and want change  for the sake of change. Nae me though. I wouldn't trade Derek for any other manager in the top flight right  now, Clarke included. 

Good post.

The last bit is right. Folk just want something different and to be fair, some managers do just have a shelf life. And I can accept that argument, although I am a McInnes fanboy and he’s going nowhere in my eyes.

It’s the ones who try and make out like he’s a genuine failure of a manager that astound me to be honest.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Good post.

The last bit is right. Folk just want something different and to be fair, some managers do just have a shelf life. And I can accept that argument, although I am a McInnes fanboy and he’s going nowhere in my eyes.

It’s the ones who try and make out like he’s a genuine failure of a manager that astound me to be honest.

Any Aberdeen fan who wants rid of McInnes should be made to sit tied to a chair for a week with their eyes pinned open, staring at a picture of Mark McGhee.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Any Aberdeen fan who wants rid of McInnes should be made to sit tied to a chair for a week with their eyes pinned open, staring at a picture of Mark McGhee.

I think only lunatics actually want rid of him 

But he’s also hardly worth the adoration that some afford him as well 

He's very well paid at a club with comfortably the third biggest budget in Scottish football 

We generally just punch our weight 

12 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Good post although maybe some fans hate the type of football we have played for the last 2 years although can't complain about results that is for sure.  

I haven't really enjoyed the football I've watched this season which has become more a long ball up to Cosgrove than the exciting fitba we was watching a few years ago.  I am a McInnes supporter which he has done a fantastic job, just hope next season he will sign a few more creative midfielders and we will be better to watch.  

Edited by betting competition