The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

Our best form of the season coincided with May playing up front with Cosgrove.

Then Stewart re-joined and the whole thing has gone to f**k.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Stewart offers nothing, even less than his first spell with us. That attempted run before the winner sums him up. Clueless and slow

It was proven at Killie that Stewart is a good player.

What he isn't is versatile. McInnes loves a versatile player who can play in 5 different positions, and he's still busy trying to turn Stewart into a winger. or playing him in some position he's not comfortable with.

What he isn't is versatile. McInnes loves a versatile player who can play in 5 different positions, and he's still busy trying to turn Stewart into a winger. or playing him in some position he's not comfortable with.

Indeed. Killie built their whole shape around him. He was their attack in a structured shape.

Not so much with us and he can’t really adapt. Good player but just have to accept he doesn’t fit in. Get Stevie May back in, doesn’t deserve being dropped the way he has been.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. Killie built their whole shape around him. He was their attack in a structured shape.

Not so much with us and he can’t really adapt. Good player but just have to accept he doesn’t fit in. Get Stevie May back in, doesn’t deserve being dropped the way he has been.

Correct. He’s never going to put in many tackles and isn’t the fastest and the manager surely knows this. Let him do what he does best and  he’ll score goals. He did it for Cowden, Dundee and Killie. Why not Aberdeen?

Stewart will usually not get as much time and space at Aberdeen as he got at other teams, which I think has been a big part of his previous success. Cosgrove isn't a good striker for Stewart, either, as he won't drag defenders and make space centrally for him to exploit. 

Saying that, there is no excuse for doing so many of the basics wrong, which he has been doing on a fairly regular basis. It's easy to blame McInnes for not getting the best out of him, and there might even be some truth to that, but Stewart also has to take responsibility for his own performances.  You also have to ask why successive managers at Birmingham have viewed him as surplus to requirements there, especially when they haven't exactly been setting the heather alight in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You are quite correct, Greg Stewart is what he is. He is the final piece in the jigsaw that is a football team. Sadly the other pieces of your jigsaw do not fit with Greg. You need to lay any blame for that on McInnes who spent all his January window budget on him. It didn't work before and clearly doesn't work now. One mans vanity initially appeared to screw up both teams season. 

Onwards and upwards, best of luck for the rest on the season.

A lot of sensible comments about Greg.

I would be over the moon if he tore it up and scored 10 plus goals since returning in January, but it just isn’t working. Cosgrove is not a good partner, as has been stated.He doesn’t have much movement or pace so no space created or runs made for Greg to find.

I know the ballon d’or song is a piss take but Cosgrove is still over rated IMHO.

The problem isn’t just Greg, although the fact he did so well at Killie and Dundee before kind of puts a greater focus on him. It’s the forward areas in general. Wilson, well he must have the best agent in football. Cosgrove doesn’t do a lot. May , not my cup of tea as I have stated previously. Can’t take a man on, no pace, no aerial threat and has hardly scored for a few years, wow what attributes for a forward. (Sorry Russell Anderson, I do get what you’re saying about workrate dropping deeper!)

If only Lewis Moult was in the price range/ had chosen the dons.

5 hours ago, KTID26 said:

You are quite correct, Greg Stewart is what he is. He is the final piece in the jigsaw that is a football team. Sadly the other pieces of your jigsaw do not fit with Greg. You need to lay any blame for that on McInnes who spent all his January window budget on him. It didn't work before and clearly doesn't work now. One mans vanity initially appeared to screw up both teams season. 

Onwards and upwards, best of luck for the rest on the season.

I think more was spent on Wilson to be fair.

3 hours ago, big al said:

I think more was spent on Wilson to be fair.

And he's been a bit of a disappointment.  Flashes of quality but hasn't lived up to his billing.  (IMO)

2 minutes ago, akredz said:

Aye, I was expecting more from a Man U  "wunderkind".    

He is more than a bit didsapointing. Livingston away aside he has been a complete flop and a waste of money.

33 minutes ago, Jute said:

He is more than a bit didsapointing. Livingston away aside he has been a complete flop and a waste of money.

It's late Sunday afternoon and I've been feeling magnanimous.  But you're right .

Greg Stewart seems to be the living definition of square peg in a round hole for us.
I imagine if he moved to Hearts or Rangers next he'd be a massive success given his track record of performing at "staunch" clubs.
I thought you lot were staunch as well now?