The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Why would Stewart want to go back? Routinely played out of position  by McInnes and struggled to get anywhere near the heights he hit at Dundee and Kilmarnock.

I think Stewart himself acknowledges that he wasn’t fit enough and didn’t perform well enough to justify the central role ahead of Christie last season.

This season he seems fit and on form so it may just be the perfect fit. Stewart still speaks very highly of his time with us.

Still, I’d be surprised yet delighted if this happens.

He quite clearly needs a role that allows him the freedom to express himself to get the best out of him, which he obviously wasn't given at Aberdeen or Birmingham. Completely understandable due to the quality of player at both clubs during his time there. 

Interesting to see how he is used this time round. Quality player if used correctly. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Don't forget Cowdenbeath.

Although I'll struggle now to get the oxymoron which is 'hitting heights at Dundee' out of my head.

Greg Stewart is a class act. He did look unfit when I saw him playing for Aberdeen, not the same player that did so well at Dundee and Cowdenbeath. Get him fit and you’ll see a different player.

Stewart is obviously a class player when fully fit even if we didn't quite see it last season.

This big issue for me would be how the team, especially our strikers, go back to playing in a 4231 (presuming that's what we do). Playing two strikers has managed to bring out some form in Cosgrove and May - even if there is still a lack of goals in the latters case - and I'm not convinced either can play as a lone front man.

The obvious solution to this is Wilson up front by himself I guess though I'm still not convinced by him. Possibly having a creative player in behind the striker might make a big difference with Cosgrove/May though I don't think May will ever be an effective lone front man.

9 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Stewart is obviously a class player when fully fit even if we didn't quite see it last season.

This big issue for me would be how the team, especially our strikers, go back to playing in a 4231 (presuming that's what we do). Playing two strikers has managed to bring out some form in Cosgrove and May - even if there is still a lack of goals in the latters case - and I'm not convinced either can play as a lone front man.

The obvious solution to this is Wilson up front by himself I guess though I'm still not convinced by him. Possibly having a creative player in behind the striker might make a big difference with Cosgrove/May though I don't think May will ever be an effective lone front man.

Or you could play 4-4-2, you know, like Killie do and are getting the best out of him. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Chris Harvey saying there’s nothing in the Stewart rumours.

Seems to be changing his story.

MorOn the STV News at Six (Brexit Edition) Sport tonight... @StefaniDailly meets new @dundeeunitedfc owner Mark Ogren and they talk (no) mergers... Dundee enter the #statementOlympics as they talk (no) mergers and @gregstew1990 could move to Aberdeen IF he can agree a pay-off @BCFC

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Chris Harvey saying there’s nothing in the Stewart rumours.

Sounds like the agent is playing a game here.

Brum ask for £400k

Agent replies with ok we can sit it out or you can pay us off.

All along knowing Dons willing to pay a small fee but prefering instead for him and Greg to pocket it

if the scum is right that is sad move .. thought he be bit better than that..obviously  finacial .. could understand if it was championship side that was going to compete.

good chance he will be league 1...   personally let him go now  . but in saying that mclean played his best fitba when he signed his pre contract..  either way huge loss 

for us when he goes