The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not having the Mackay-Steven revisionism. He was our best, most threatening attacking player until the beginning of December by a country mile, and the defensive side of his game has improved almost immeasurably since his arrival. McLennan and McGinn both had an impressive month, but Mackay-Steven is the best player of the three. He would be very hard to replace with similar quality, and we would especially miss him when McLennan and McGinn inevitably suffer injuries or dips in form post-break. 

Good post. 

GMS came to Pittodrie as an inconsistent winger with a reputation for being a lightweight shirker.  On his debut there were Dons fans booing him for being an Arab/T*m f*cker, for God's sake. 

I've never seen a Dons player improve as much in an 18 month period. Great ball skills, goalscorer, and incredibly hard worker who puts in a great defensive shift every game, and is 200% physically committed....never shirks out of challenge and gives every thing for the team. 

He'll be sadly missed if/when he goes. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Good post. 

GMS came to Pittodrie as an inconsistent winger with a reputation for being a lightweight shirker.  On his debut there were Dons fans booing him for being an Arab/T*m f*cker, for God's sake. 

I've never seen a Dons player improve as much in an 18 month period. Great ball skills, goalscorer, and incredibly hard worker who puts in a great defensive shift every game, and is 200% physically committed....never shirks out of challenge and gives every thing for the team. 

He'll be sadly missed if/when he goes. 

200% is better than the normal 110 so I'm convinced. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, logie skid boys said:

aye that part of his game weak point..  Mclennan has been excellent in that department ..his work rate at ibrox was outsanding.

and most the games he has played ....aye be a blow lose  GMS but one i think we can handle as past games have shown....

Not true. 

Think back to our first win of the season at Dens Park. 5 minutes after he scored with the penalty he raced back 60 yards to put in a goal saving tackle when the Dee lad was about to hammer the ball into the net. 

His defensive work has come on leaps and bounds.

25 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Not true. 

Think back to our first win of the season at Dens Park. 5 minutes after he scored with the penalty he raced back 60 yards to put in a goal saving tackle when the Dee lad was about to hammer the ball into the net. 

His defensive work has come on leaps and bounds.

mcinnes comments about mclennan pefromance at ibrox....told a lot... regards  what he wants  with  workrate and marking.    aye gms  might have improved in the workrate  this season he had to.

but its still far fae a strong point .. with   improvement in players there was no bigger than hayes .  and he has been a massive loss for us    we will cope losing mckay stevens .

It’s now something like 12 hours since Derek and Sam were announced as MOTM and POTM. BBC Scotland sports website still has no acknowledgement that this has happened. For some reason, I can’t imagine that if some other clubs had done this double, there wouldn’t be a wee bit on their site.

It’s now something like 12 hours since Derek and Sam were announced as MOTM and POTM. BBC Scotland sports website still has no acknowledgement that this has happened. For some reason, I can’t imagine that if some other clubs had done this double, there wouldn’t be a wee bit on their site.

This is why I don’t pay my telly licence.

If Birmingham do recall Stewart thats a pretty big loss for Kilmarnock, especially with the Jones shenanigans going on as well. Article also mentions they may look to try and sell him now rather than lose him in the summer.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1070386/Birmingham-transfer-EXCLUSIVE-Kilmarnock-Greg-Stewart

Given how good he’s been this season i wonder if Mcinnes regrets not going back in for him and possibly woul think about going for him now?

Edited by Rodhull

Greg Stewart has all the ability but didn’t  fit the Aberdeen formation. He was too often played wide of a front 3 but he’s a number 10 playing off a centre forward number 9. There aren’t many players like Greg these days,and you have to set up a team to get the most out of players like that.

Kilmarnocks 4-4-2 suits him perfectly.

I know there’s now 2 upfront but too late now. Shame as if he was swapped for May it would improve the team big time. 

3 hours ago, big al said:

I know there’s now 2 upfront but too late now. Shame as if he was swapped for May it would improve the team big time. 

I'm not sure it would - May is probably a better partner for Cosgrove than Stewart would be. Stewart is more of a goal threat than May and probably the better player, but May's relentless running, pressing and his ability to drag defenders out of position have been a big part of why we had a good December and why Cosgrove has had such an upturn in fortunes.

nonsense about we never played greg stewart in right postion ,,  he had taken over year to get fit .    we was his rehabilitation . he a had plenty opportitunties but he did not perform 

only   started to show towards the end of his loan..    he said himself  he could have done better .   looking at him now , he looks as fit as his dundee days ..

can see him maybe getting chance at Birmingham  .they wre interested in Inkechi Anya   on loan  and Stewart now looks better option..  

nonsense about we never played greg stewart in right postion ,,  he had taken over year to get fit .    we was his rehabilitation . he a had plenty opportitunties but he did not perform 
only   started to show towards the end of his loan..    he said himself  he could have done better .   looking at him now , he looks as fit as his dundee days ..
can see him maybe getting chance at Birmingham  .they wre interested in Inkechi Anya   on loan  and Stewart now looks better option..  

He wasn’t fit and he could’ve done more but it’s not nonsense.

He’s clearly a better player through the middle and we never gave him a chance there. Not that he ever did much to justify it.

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not sure it would - May is probably a better partner for Cosgrove than Stewart would be. Stewart is more of a goal threat than May and probably the better player, but May's relentless running, pressing and his ability to drag defenders out of position have been a big part of why we had a good December and why Cosgrove has had such an upturn in fortunes.

May- occupies defenders 

Stewart- makes things happen

i respect your opinion, but I know what type of player I would rather have with a 10 on his back thanks.

I think what’s clear is that if we played with a Greg Stewart-type player instead of May, we’d need a more defensive midfield to make up for the lack of cover a cultured player would provide. If you plonked Stewart into our team in place of May in the 442 McInnes has been using of late, we’d be a worse team.

If McInnes wants to make that adjustment back to a 4231 or 433 that we’ve had in previous years, then perhaps we’d be better than we are now. We would however probably require one of Ferguson or Shinnie to drop out to make way for a Gleeson-type player for balance.

Swings n roundabouts isn’t it

1 hour ago, big al said:

May- occupies defenders 

Stewart- makes things happen

i respect your opinion, but I know what type of player I would rather have with a 10 on his back thanks.

fair enough if you prefer Stewart, but I think that May does more than you are giving him credit for. He is clearly less likely to skin three defenders and curl one into the top corner, but does contribute creatively to attacking moves.