The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Negatives...:

- The fullback problem - This to me is where we seem most vulnerable defensively.  Logan is having an uncharacteristically bad season so far,

Haven't people been saying that for about three years?

On 31/10/2018 at 19:00, NorthernLights said:

Is Forrester injured or is he being shifted towards the exit door already?

Heard a story about Forrester a week ago or two ago regarding his performance in a reserve match. Supposedly he was the worst player on the park and basically didn't give a f*ck all match. When this is combined with his, admittedly limited, time on the pitch so far this season it doesn't bode very well and theres plenty of rumours circulating regarding McInnes not being too happy with his attitude. Very disappointing, especially when he seemed quite a promising signing.

Regarding our problems this season I think most of it can be put down to our central midfield situation. As good a player as Shinnie is he's not a particularly creative player. I thought Shinnie and Ball worked well intitially, and feel it does defensively, but it means we're creating nothing going forward really. I'm sure McInnes expected at least one of Forrester or Gleeson to be playing every week by now fulfilling that creative/passing role we've missed since McLean left. The lack of a player in this mould in centre midfield has meant we've basically been giving the ball to GMS or McGinn and saying go do something with it which other teams are able to counter fairly well, or shelling balls up the park, completely bypassing the midfield. Hopefully Ferguson can grow into this role but given his age/experience he's going to be inconsistent and have plenty of off days.

COYR

P.S. Cup Final tickets on sale from tonight.

Logan had a pretty poor last season, and maybe even periods of the season before that, but it seemed to get a bit overshadowed by the final day furore. He hasn't covered himself in glory defensively so far this season, with the first goal at Tynecastle and the goal at McDiarmid Park immediately springing to mind, and then he gift-wraps Kilmarnock a penalty on Sunday. I think he does get away with a fair bit from some of our support because of his Twitter antics and his ability to wind-up Celtic fans. 

On the other side, Lowe is better than Considine going forward, but there are still questions about his defensive aptitude. He did occasionally leave gaps against Hamilton and Kilmarnock which were mostly, thankfully, left unexploited. Also, if Logan and Lowe are both playing high up the pitch, you perhaps need a defensive midfielder to sit deep and ensure that we don't get caught short or overrun on the counter-attack. Ball is probably the most logical option for this role if Gleeson is out of the picture, but Ball, as witnessed on Sunday and against Hearts, doesn't seem to have the positional awareness to drop deep, take the ball away from the centre-backs and then distribute it when we are in possession, which means that we invariably resort to aimless, long punts to an isolated striker. So, by necessity as much as anything else, Ferguson likely has to take on this role, which means that he can still join some attacks from deep but probably less often than would be ideally preferable.

Apologies I didnt mean to start the whole buttery/rowie civil war all over again, I just thought it was a nice rhyme. For what it’s worth I was raised a buttery man, but I call it a rowie in front of others so I sound more edgy and Aberdonian.

Midfield is where the majority of our problems are IMO. Logan isn’t having the best season, but he’s still one of the better fullbacks in the league. Lowe and Considine give you options, and it’s a problem for January rather than now if Lowe does leave.

Our strikers don’t suit the whipping in a cross ball game we’ve played the last few years, which is why McInnes has been playing GMS and McGinn on their opposite sides, to encourage them to cut in and provide more of a direct goal threat rather than hitting the bye line. A better midfield supports a narrow front three and we look much more creative.

It all comes down to the midfield. We’re now at a point where McInnes thinks we’ve got 3 midfielders worth playing (Shinnie, Ferguson, at a push Ball), with Tansey, Gleeson, Forrester all frozen out/“injured”. There’s no one there who can play creatively and create through the middle, meaning we have to bypass it completely. The only crumb of comfort I can find is Scott Wright maybe finding his feet in that Peter Pawlett role. Pawlett had Jack and Robson feeding him mind so I’m still not sure what he can do.

Midfielder would be my priority in January.

6 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

Anyone know when the Motherwell away tickets go on sale or will it be pay on the day? 

I have a rare day when I'm not working and Aberdeen are within easy travel distance so don't either have to put in for a day off work or miss it entirely? :P

It’ll be both ticket (to get loyalty points) and pay at the gate on the day. I would imagine if you want to get a ticket they will be on sale next week at some point.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:44, RussellAnderson said:

Seen on Twitter some of the team are off to Dublin for an international weekend trip.
IMG_0388.jpg

Stevie May makes a fantastic Thor.

Has Reynolds actually dressed up as “Super Joe”? Tremendous stuff!

Amazing the turnaround in feeling over this season in the last 13 days. Before the LCSF vs them I was actually considering not going having consigned us to a 3/4-0 humping before a ball was kicked. Now we are in the final and have beaten the much lauded Hibs and Killie teams (overhauling Hibs in the league in the process). All without getting near playing at the level we should. Last night was probably the best all round display from us this season and still had a good amount of room for improvement (in terms of attacking play anyway).

Unfortunate timing for the break but hopefully we keep improving at this rate, December is an opportunity to right the wrongs of the first 1/4 of the season and I hope we can make the most of it.

Edited by Captain_Imra7

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Seen on Twitter some of the team are off to Dublin for an international weekend trip.
IMG_0388.jpg

Stevie May makes a fantastic Thor.

That's just fucking weird :lol:

I've no idea who the others are ootside May and Reynolds, but I'm gonna wager a fair bit o cash that one of them is big Andy :thumsup2