The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

It's not just about individual signings, as such; it's also about how they are being coached and utilised.

May, for example, whilst he has undoubtedly underwhelmed, has occasionally been a victim of formations and tactics that don't play to his strengths. May did his best work at St Johnstone with a partner, either MacLean or Hasselbaink, but was signed by McInnes last season to play primarily within his preferred 4-2-3-1. It's a square peg in a round hole, so we shouldn't be totally surprised that it hasn't worked out for him, especially when we have resorted to shelling long balls over his head. Stewart, although he signed for us out of shape, is flourishing in a more central role at Kilmarnock, seemingly almost as a second striker, but was misused most of the time at Aberdeen. As said above, Ferguson has been a good signing, but it is difficult to know at this point in time exactly where he slots in long-term - he's not a #10, but perhaps needs a more natural anchor than Shinnie to get the best out of him in a deeper role. 

I'm also hoping that Wright can transform himself into Pawlett of 13/14, and hopefully provide the link between midfield and attack that we have been desperately missing at times so far this season.

Agreed. 
A huge chunk of our budget have been squandered on the likes of May, Forrester and Gleeson. It's particularly concerning when Hearts, Hibs and Rangers have recruited very well. We have been outperformed by all three this season, both in head to head games and in the league table. Rangers is perhaps understandable in that they are able to make £1 million+ signings but I'd be surprised if Hearts' and Hibs' playing budgets are larger than ours. I wouldn't say we have a bad squad but we have stagnated/regressed since the 16/17 season whereas our rivals have all improved. 
I think an issues with the support is that there's nothing new or exciting at the moment. We've beaten the lower teams in the leagues very regularly under McInnes and this has become the norm. We still approach the bigger games in an incredibly negative way and this does nothing to excite the support. McInnes has taken us to good levels in the league, cups and in Europe but if we've stagnated in each of these competitions recently and if this doesn't change then more fans are going to lose faith. The Calderwood comparison is fairly valid, he raised standards at the club but after a lack of progress, the fans started to lose interest (albeit McInnes has delivered a trophy, 2nd place finishes and just the one lower league cup exit).

The head to heads against Hearts, Rangers and Hibs haven't been great but haven't really been what's worried me this season. Results wise we've drawn away to Hibs, drawn at home to Rangers and lost away to Hearts. Outplayed by both Rangers and Hearts, but competitive in both (and escaped with a point in the first). The Hibs game (in the league) I actually thought Aberdeen were worthy of their point and could easily have got 3 from it. Hibs had all the possession but they were chasing the game. They opened Aberdeen up once in the second half and scored from it. Fair enough they deserve the point for that, but I thought largely Aberdeen did well in that game.

What concerns me more is the games against the 'lesser' teams. Losing at home to Kilmarnock, drawing to St Johnstone and struggling to beat Dundee, it just feels like those games are more of a struggle than they previously were. A comfortable, if uninspiring, win against Motherwell and a very good performance against St Mirren are really the only domestic games to feel positive about this season.

17 hours ago, DrewDon said:

It's not just about individual signings, as such; it's also about how they are being coached and utilised.

May, for example, whilst he has undoubtedly underwhelmed, has occasionally been a victim of formations and tactics that don't play to his strengths. May did his best work at St Johnstone with a partner, either MacLean or Hasselbaink, but was signed by McInnes last season to play primarily within his preferred 4-2-3-1. It's a square peg in a round hole, so we shouldn't be totally surprised that it hasn't worked out for him, especially when we have resorted to shelling long balls over his head. Stewart, although he signed for us out of shape, is flourishing in a more central role at Kilmarnock, seemingly almost as a second striker, but was misused most of the time at Aberdeen. As said above, Ferguson has been a good signing, but it is difficult to know at this point in time exactly where he slots in long-term - he's not a #10, but perhaps needs a more natural anchor than Shinnie to get the best out of him in a deeper role. 

I'm also hoping that Wright can transform himself into Pawlett of 13/14, and hopefully provide the link between midfield and attack that we have been desperately missing at times so far this season.

It’s a real shame it never worked out for Stewart, a great player for Cowden and Dundee where he was close to getting a call up for the national side. Never the fastest, but if used correctly, a match winner, just  ask the Dundee fans. He’s definitely one that got away.

27 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

It’s a real shame it never worked out for Stewart, a great player for Cowden and Dundee where he was close to getting a call up for the national side. Never the fastest, but if used correctly, a match winner, just  ask the Dundee fans. He’s definitely one that got away.

Not turning up to pre-season overweight would've helped his cause. He looked good in spells but in terms of output he didn't do nearly enough, particularly compared to Hayes, McGinn and GMS.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

The head to heads against Hearts, Rangers and Hibs haven't been great but haven't really been what's worried me this season. Results wise we've drawn away to Hibs, drawn at home to Rangers and lost away to Hearts. Outplayed by both Rangers and Hearts, but competitive in both (and escaped with a point in the first). The Hibs game (in the league) I actually thought Aberdeen were worthy of their point and could easily have got 3 from it. Hibs had all the possession but they were chasing the game. They opened Aberdeen up once in the second half and scored from it. Fair enough they deserve the point for that, but I thought largely Aberdeen did well in that game.

What concerns me more is the games against the 'lesser' teams. Losing at home to Kilmarnock, drawing to St Johnstone and struggling to beat Dundee, it just feels like those games are more of a struggle than they previously were. A comfortable, if uninspiring, win against Motherwell and a very good performance against St Mirren are really the only domestic games to feel positive about this season.

“Lesser team “check the league table and the form table mate.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, Killiefan said:

“Lesser team “check the league table and the form table mate.

I don't think it's meant as an insult. I think we all know what he means.

Anyway. There's an article in The Herald today analysing why Aberdeen have had a such a relatively poor start to the season......with the main reasons being that we've completely failed to replace McLean and Christie. 

It was a pretty fair piece, stating that we've probably had the hardest set of 9 games out of any team in the league.....away to Celtic and both Hearts and Hibs, and an opening fixture against Rangers.....but also highlighting the consistently poor recruitment policy under McInnes which this season seems to have come home to roost.

We simply don't create enough chances or score enough goals, and we're always one GMS leg-break away from effectively having no attacking threat at all. It's really criminal that it was allowed to come to this, especially as it was known in January that neither Christie or McLean would be there this season. 

It looks like we bet the house on McGeough coming to Pittodrie, but even then it was pretty obvious in May that he wanted to leave Scotland. 

I'm actually amazed we are where we are in the league, and there's still the possibility that given the next few fixtures we could be equal with or above this Brazil 1970 Hibs team. 

Something will have to be done in January though, there's no doubt about that.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't think it's meant as an insult. I think we all know what he means.

Anyway. There's an article in The Herald today analysing why Aberdeen have had a such a relatively poor start to the season......with the main reasons being that we've completely failed to replace McLean and Christie. 

It was a pretty fair piece, stating that we've probably had the hardest set of 9 games out of any team in the league.....away to Celtic and both Hearts and Hibs, and an opening fixture against Rangers.....but also highlighting the consistently poor recruitment policy under McInnes which this season seems to have come home to roost.

We simply don't create enough chances or score enough goals, and we're always one GMS leg-break away from effectively having no attacking threat at all. It's really criminal that it was allowed to come to this, especially as it was known in January that neither Christie or McLean would be there this season. 

It looks like we bet the house on McGeough coming to Pittodrie, but even then it was pretty obvious in May that he wanted to leave Scotland. 

I'm actually amazed we are where we are in the league, and there's still the possibility that given the next few fixtures we could be equal with or above this Brazil 1970 Hibs team. 

Something will have to be done in January though, there's no doubt about that.

when it gets to 9 games it's a stretch to say we've had it tough. accounts for max of 3 points off the pace. agree the rest though. we've been dung. 

On a more important note:

Where are you going pre-match ? Trying to avoid the City and just head out there for the first SF.

Not used to that end of the ground but what’s the one with the upstairs in it Beechwood or Montford ? Was in it years ago for a Dons game (think it was the Queens SF)

Or somewhere else ? (Other than Asda).

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

Any updates on Considine?

McInnes told Redtv it's a neck injury rather than a concussion but he's been given the all clear at the hospital. May not be available for the next game but shouldn't be anything serious.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I thought Mackay-Steven was very good yesterday, again. I wasn't sure when we first signed him, but my doubts have long evaporated. Excellent player, and obviously enjoying his football. Sign the contract, please. 

This.  Complete turnaround from me.