The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's hilarious sensing the desperation of Motherwell fans on here at the thought of their ex-hero coming to Aberdeen (however unlikely it is).

Is their some kind of alarm goes off with you guys whenever the word 'Moult' is mentioned on this thread ?

Or do you just monitor it daily in a cold sweat ?

Does that fact McInnes' reaction to a clearly declining squad is "what players did I try and sign in the last three years" not worry Aberdeen fans? 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does that fact McInnes' reaction to a clearly declining squad is "what players did I try and sign in the last three years" not worry Aberdeen fans? 

Yes.

21 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Thought it was a decent workout, with several players standing out.....GMS looked good, McKenna strong, and as pointed out we're all pleasantly surprised at how strong, quick and impressive Ferguson looks. 

On the negative side it's glaringly obvious that we are woefully short up front. There's Cosgrove and May, and then nobody. 

If that's till the case come next Thursday then I suspect that 0-0 is the best we can hope for. 

Still, there are positive signs. But the proof will be in the pudding (or over the next 2 weeks).

Check yer messages, min.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You have to feel for McInnes, he can only sign who he’s allowed to sign. Someone else is holding the purse strings.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’re not going to beat Burnley no matter who we sign so let’s not panic too much lads.

Mcinnes knows we need signings quite urgently we need to let him and the club get on with it.

Is rather not go and watch a 5-0 tanking however like Spurs v Hertz a few years back.

Is rather not go and watch a 5-0 tanking however like Spurs v Hertz a few years back.

Can’t see it to be honest. That spurs team had the likes of bale, van der vaart, possibly modric?

I think we’ll be comfortable beaten over two legs but not embarrassed.

Friday quelled some of my fears about the upcoming tie, despite it only being a friendly game against recently relegated opposition.

I'd imagine McInnes will play Shinnie in midfield against Burnley, but I'd be tempted to keep him at left-back given the depth of capable options we seem to have in the centre of the park (Ball, Gleeson, Forrester, Ferguson). Also, having Shinnie at left-back should offer us some additional width and help to counter Lennon's pace (rather than leaving Considine vulnerable to becoming isolated against him). I'd maybe put Considine into centre-back instead of Devlin just to give us a bit more experience and know-how alongside McKenna. McGinn will come in for Wright provided he is remotely fit, I'm sure.

Still, I suppose I don't have to face the consequences of making these decisions, so all easier said than done. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Another interesting statement from someone who seems more concerned with Aberdeen than his own side. 

This was the ''clearly declining squad'' that still managed to finish 2nd in a much stronger league last season ? And get much closer to the eventual Champions than we have in years ?

I hope our squad keeps on declining in exactly the same way, in that case. 

We’re not going to beat Burnley no matter who we sign so let’s not panic too much lads.  

Mcinnes knows we need signings quite urgently we need to let him and the club get on with it.

Worst draw we could have got but wouldn’t say we have no chance although it is a small chance. We nearly beat Hertha Berlin when Anderson header cleared off the line and some ex-Motherwell defender stupidly got sent off when they was already down to 10 men - I class Hertha Berlin a better team than Burnley.

The West Brom game give me a lot more optimistic look to the new season with all the new signings looking decent.

Worst draw we could have got but wouldn’t say we have no chance although it is a small chance. We nearly beat Hertha Berlin when Anderson header cleared off the line and some ex-Motherwell defender stupidly got sent off when they was already down to 10 men - I class Hertha Berlin a better team than Burnley.

The West Brom game give me a lot more optimistic look to the new season with all the new signings looking decent.

This isn't the same team tho.
In saying that I booked Friday off in case I'm celebrating hard on Thursday night

This isn't the same team tho.

In saying that I booked Friday off in case I'm celebrating hard on Thursday night

I don’t know if you are comparing the 2002 to the 2018 squad but if you are then I look at our squad now and think it has a lot better players than 2002.

2002 squad: Kjaer, Rutkiewicz, Anderson, McGuire, McAllister, Mackie, Darren Young, Derek Young, Deloumeaux, Bisconti, D'Jaffo. Subs: Mike, Clark, Fabiano, Michie, Payne, Billio, Preece.

Only 3 player I rated from that time: Kjaer, Anderson and Bisconti - the rest was pish or very average. No surprise that team didn’t make the top 6 that season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, betting competition said:

I'm banking as well on the fact that this is Burney's first ever European tie, and the fact that they're hardly likely to go hell for leather on Thursday night to win the game 5 or 6-0.

We're the worst draw they could have got, and they're naturally (and quite rightly) wary of playing us away from home in their first competitive game of the season.

Sean Dyche is an excellent manager with a organised side, but McInnes now has a good few years of European experience behind him and knows how to get results in tough ties. It's all about scoring goals away from home, and conversely not conceding them at home.

If we could get 0-0 on Thursday I'd be well chuffed and give us a 50/50 chance of getting through. It's vital that we don't concede though.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, betting competition said:

This is the 3rd time that Burnley have qualified for Europe - both times knocked out by a West Germany team

Lol. Never knew that...cheers :thumsup2

I'll re-phrase. This is the first time in a generation or more that Burnely have played European competition....I'm banking on them playing a tight, conservative game at Pittodrie.

I'm hoping they'll be happy with 0-0.