The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

In for Casey Woodrow of Fulham as well according to talksport 

Cauley Woodrow?

Thought Schalk was decent anytime he played against us and would be a good signing if we are in for him.

Edited by Jute

Schalk would be an excellent signing for anyone in the Premeriship IMO.  Obviously not Celtic because they would sign him and never play him of course.

Wright has talent, but when given opportunities this season he hasn't taken them. McKenna did and has ended the season captaining Scotland. As much as I would prefer to see an Aberdeen player who has come through our youth ranks to a loan player from somewhere in England, if the loan player is going to put in better performances then that sentimentality isn't as important. Getting the balance between developing for the future and getting results in the short term I think McInnes has largely got right.

The issue with Wright isn't talent for me, it's physique. Look at any of the England u21s, even the wingers are closer to McKenna's build than they are to Scott Wright's. Alternatively look at the NFL combine test, how many times can you bench press 100 kg? NFL running back... 10-20...Scott Wright...dead on the first attempt.

3 hours ago, Illgresi said:

The issue with Wright isn't talent for me, it's physique. Look at any of the England u21s, even the wingers are closer to McKenna's build than they are to Scott Wright's. Alternatively look at the NFL combine test, how many times can you bench press 100 kg? NFL running back... 10-20...Scott Wright...dead on the first attempt.

^^ Wee Gordie 

4 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Watching the World Cup I think so too and have done for a while. The athleticism of our players is way below those in the top division in England and as we see in the top games the lightweights are just pushed off the ball repeatedly. I'm not saying it's just about size but if you're smaller and lighter you have to be a much better technical player and those are few and far between in Scotland sadly.  

8 hours ago, Illgresi said:

how often does a winger need to bench press 100kg in an average SPL game?

Or is he supposed to use his massive pecs to do keepie ups with.

An interesting point, but drivel.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

how often does a winger need to bench press 100kg in an average SPL game?

Or is he supposed to use his massive pecs to do keepie ups with.

An interesting point, but drivel.

The bench press is a very good indicator of upper body strength, something every footballer needs. It's not just about bench pressing though, it's whole body strength and conditioning. There seems to be a notion in Scotland that footballers should be pigeon-chested wee boys, but the NFL combine shows that extremely powerful athletes can also be exceptionally quick and agile.

Look at Messi, C. Ronaldo, or going back a bit Figo, R. Carlos, the real Ronaldo. All of the above had/have thighs wider than Scott Wrights waist.

If we do sign McGeouch (and I still don't think we will, unfortunately), I wonder whether Shinnie would move to left-back on a more permanent basis? McInnes has said in the past that he thinks Shinnie is more influential in midfield, but Gleeson and Forrester will have signed to play as first-team regulars, I would imagine. I suppose Forrester might be able to play further up the pitch, but the consensus amongst Peterborough fans appeared to be that he was better at dictating play and pulling the strings from deeper. 

Schalk would be an excellent signing for anyone in the Premeriship IMO.  Obviously not Celtic because they would sign him and never play him of course.

This. He’s excellent if you are patient enough. I’m gutted that he’s leaving, but not remotely surprised.

For god’s sake, play him, Aberdeen.

Also, a really decent human being.

I really hope he stays in Scotland.