The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

Still only got 3 strikers in our first team squad.

One of whom has never scored for the club, and the other two managed to grab a massive 14 goals between them last season. I think it was 10 if you take away penalties.

Of these 2 strikers, one is nearing the end of his Pittodrie career and the other suffers from chronic injury problems and a 4 year loss of form and confidence.

I think I can work out what should be top of Deek's shopping list.

18 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Still only got 3 strikers in our first team squad.

One of whom has never scored for the club, and the other two managed to grab a massive 14 goals between them last season. I think it was 10 if you take away penalties.

Of these 2 strikers, one is nearing the end of his Pittodrie career and the other suffers from chronic injury problems and a 4 year loss of form and confidence.

I think I can work out what should be top of Deek's shopping list.

16 between May and Rooney in all competitions. We need to either get in a striker that fits the system that McInnes wants to play or McInnes has to change his system to suit the players we have. 

McInnes needs to actually promote some youth players. How can they ever be good enough (unless exceptionally naturally gifted) if not given decent game time?

We really lack behind most other clubs.

His signings over the course of his tenure, have on the most part been poor. If he cannot judge a player from outside our club, who’s to say he’s not missing ones on the inside?

The **** are dishing out £3m on single players, yet still give kids regular game time.

You feel with McInnes, that the only reason we have kids on the bench is to fill the required quotas from the SPFL.

The treatment of Scott Wright is something we should be concerned about also. Looked one of our best players when played last season, then frozen out. 

Edited by AFCDannyFTH
Typo

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

McInnes needs to actually promote some youth players. How can they ever be good enough (unless exceptionally naturally gifted) if not given decent game time.

We really lack behind most other clubs.q

His signings over the course of his tenure, have on the most part been poor. If he cannot judge a player from outside our club, who’s to say he’s not missing ones on the inside?

The **** are dishing out £3m on single players, yet still give kids regular game time.

You feel with McInnes, that the only reason we have kids on the bench is to fill the required quotas from the SPFL.

The treatment of Scott Wright is something we should be concerned about also. Looked one of our best players when played last season, then frozen out. 

To be fair to McInnes, the current Scotland captain just came through our youth system in the last 9 months.

13 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

McInnes needs to actually promote some youth players. How can they ever be good enough (unless exceptionally naturally gifted) if not given decent game time?

We really lack behind most other clubs.

Scott Wright showed a burst of promise but then IMO he really just fell away and was quite poor the times he did play after that. He seemed to lose the ability to run and take players on. 

Best option for Scott Wright would be to go out on loan for a season, I very much doubt he will get much game this coming season, especially if we do sign another winger. 

49 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Apparently we tried to put Wright out on loan but a hissy fit was had, hence the lack of action since then 

It was rumoured he came close to joining us, but McInnes pulled him out the deal, which led to a fall out. 

22 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I think the two most important positions to sign players is a wide player as the lack of creativity in the midfield was obvious last season and also a left sided full back although it would be a bonus if he cover the right hand side. 

We certainly need a wide player as we simply can not go in with Wright, Ross, May and Rooney as the backup for GMS/McGinn. That looks horrific if we were missing GMS or McGinn for a sustained period. Last season we had Stewart and Christie and much higher hopes for Wright who I now expect to leave.

We certainly need a centre back for similar reasons if we were without Devlin for a period as although we have four centre backs three are left footers and more likely than not Considine will be playing left back.

We certainly need someone else who can play right back as we only have Logan which was fine when we had Jack but we were weak there last season when Logan was off form or missing.

We could ideally do with a new first pick striker to take the pressure off May. Cosgrove is raw and Rooney doesn't suit all games nowadays.

So

right footed Centre back 

versatile defender

Winger

Striker

Scott Wright is nowhere near good enough. 

I used to think Mcinnes didn’t play young players enough but tend to find myself agreeing with him these days. I would rather finish high up the table than play young players who are not good enough.

2 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Scott Wright is nowhere near good enough. 

I used to think Mcinnes didn’t play young players enough but tend to find myself agreeing with him these days. I would rather finish high up the table than play young players who are not good enough.

Sure, but the argument is obviously that without playing them we'll never find out if they're good enough. Who knows what would have happened with McKenna if Arnason, O'Connor and Reynolds hadn't underperformed last season. I certainly don't think McInnes started the season thinking he was going to build the defence around him.

Greg Stewart

It's clear we are not buying him for the pre-agreed figure as part of the loan deal.

Whether we would try to loan him again or have a word in his ear that if he were to be released we would pick him up maybe.

Given that Stewart's fitness was a serious problem I highly doubt DM will go for him now (ie missing pre season days already)

4 hours ago, d31 said:

McInnes loves to chase after old flames. Moult or Boyce will be on the shopping list. Still two months yet.

Are we usually in the market for players that signed three-year contracts six months ago?

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Sure, but the argument is obviously that without playing them we'll never find out if they're good enough. Who knows what would have happened with McKenna if Arnason, O'Connor and Reynolds hadn't underperformed last season. I certainly don't think McInnes started the season thinking he was going to build the defence around him.

Exactly this. McKenna was thrown in out of necessity, rather than choice. 

During his tenure, McInnes has brought through McKenna. That’s it.

Meanwhile, he has signed - 

Calvin Zola, Callum Morris, Alan Tate, Chidi Nwakali, Joeseph Parker, Nicky Maynard, Miles Storey, Adam Collin, Joe Nuttall, Donervon Daniels, Andrew Driver and David Goodwillie.

A horrific waste of jerseys/money.

To counter, I will add that the signings of -

Logan, Rooney,  McLean, Shinnie,  Lewis, Church,  Stockley, Christie, Stewart, GMS

- were good ones and improved the team/squad.

Surely, surely there’s at least one more of our youth players that could fit into our team. Surely.