The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Papers reporting you've signed Curtis Main, and are in talks with Ash Taylor :lol:

they be your players of the season  .  

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye buts its reported that both are done deals to be announced over the next few days.

and your point is?

2 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

they be your players of the season  .  

and your point is?

They really wouldn't :lol:

My point is it's a laughable, uninspiring couple of signings for a team who talk about chasing 2nd and competing for trophies.

I genuinely wouldnt want either player at Saints. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point is it's a laughable, uninspiring couple of signings for a team who talk about chasing 2nd and competing for trophies.

We have the best goalkeeper in the league , Devlin gets fit pre season  we have the best centre  back pairing in the league .

Lowe comes back we have the best left back in the league  .   Mcginn and Mclennan out wide are  as good as anybody in this league and  we have a centre foward 

that has banged in 21 goals.  there is no squad outside celtic i rather have .   middle of the park is were our main attention regards quality signimgs will be happening .

we sort that  and that has been our weakness     then we will be in for great season.     but you keep popping up like a demented meerkat  .ah bless

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You really are a bore with a weird obsession. Creaming yourself over something in the Daily Express. 

Main is a shite signing, Taylor is fine, and yet here you are.

I can only assume a big (not in size like those two cloggers) signing is imminent as surely they wont reveal those two cloggers on their own? As much as I think they can cope against bottom six opposition, in terms of a PR move at the end of a somewhat underwhelming season* it wont help season ticket sales or overall feelgood factor.

*Compared to past few seasons 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think most will be happy to keep Logan but would like some genuine competition for him. Remains to be seen.

Taylor will divide opinion and some people will absolutely hate it. He was a regular in McInnes’ best dons side and although he has his moments was a decent defender. His career since will also put people off. Again, let’s see what else we do at centre half this summer before judging properly.

Pretty sure that in his first season he won almost all Club Player Of The Season awards at Northampton, so presumably he did ok. No idea about last season.

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

Booooo....

Seriously though, got the impression that Aberdeen fans were not entirely happy with his performances last year?

Extension for Logan and possibly Taylor back, is this what you want to see?

It was the season before when Logan got most of his criticism. Looked to be back to something approaching his best before he got injured. Made a big difference to our team on his return from injury at seasons end.

Taylor is not the worst defender about if he keeps it simple. Has at least one mistake in him per game though.

As ever with English clubs he's had a couple of managers so probably hard to judge him on that.

More concerned at how unimaginative it is than if he is or isnt a decent defender

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I can only assume a big (not in size like those two cloggers) signing is imminent as surely they wont reveal those two cloggers on their own? As much as I think they can cope against bottom six opposition, in terms of a PR move at the end of a somewhat underwhelming season* it wont help season ticket sales or overall feelgood factor.

*Compared to past few seasons 

Don't really buy into the idea of making signings for PR purposes.

We will see players come in this summer of a better standard than those two, whether or not that's imminent doesn't bother me. I'd like to think the club wouldn't rush into signings to appease the noise on twitter. Although admittedly they'll find it harder to ignore RandomGuy's views.

Delighted with Logan extending. He was in premiership team of the season 2 or 3 years running before his injuries and loss of form. 

Not keen on Ash Taylor coming back, makes lots of mistakes and his distribution is awful. 

Midfield is where we are seriously lacking though and I hope we are looking at a higher level to fill those spots.

Unless McInnes has a specific plan for him (or he is just going on the Semi final last year) - I can't really get my head around Aberdeen signing Main - a player whose departure from 'Well has scarcely merited a comment from 'Well fans such is the big cloud of 'meh that surrounded him this season. He's getting a very decent move (bigger club, more money) on the back of 3 goals in 31 games and some totally indifferent performances - so his agent at least is very effective as I don't believe we offered him a new deal or had intentions to do so (happy to be corrected on that).

He gives loads of effort, probably has more skill than he's given credit for and is obviously a big unit (blech) - but he's just not very good at being a striker if some of the chances he missed this season are anything to go by. 

Aberdeen supporters are pretty difficult to please - so I'd be surprised, to put it mildly, if he makes the grade at Pittodrie. 

I'm with Swello on this one.  Don't get me wrong, I was one of the ones who liked Curtis Main, but to get a move to Aberdeen on the back of 3 goals in 31 games?  His agent has played a blinder.

If you think back to the 2018 SC Semi at Hampden, then big Curtis & Bad News Bowman absolutely ragdolled Arnasson & McKenna so maybe he wants to pair him up with Cosgrove next season and change the style a wee bit.  I don't know.

I wish him all the best.  His performances in his first six months were great for us, but this season he looked like he would rather be anywhere else - he looked disinterested and frustrated.  I was under the impression he wanted to head back down south but I suppose if Aberdeen come calling, it'll be difficult to turn down.  It's not a signing that will take Aberdeen to a different level though.

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

Unless McInnes has a specific plan for him (or he is just going on the Semi final last year) - I can't really get my head around Aberdeen signing Main - a player whose departure from 'Well has scarcely merited a comment from 'Well fans such is the big cloud of 'meh that surrounded him this season. He's getting a very decent move (bigger club, more money) on the back of 3 goals in 31 games and some totally indifferent performances - so his agent at least is very effective as I don't believe we offered him a new deal or had intentions to do so (happy to be corrected on that).

That looks to have been the case. We were dishing out extensions like sweeties at the end of last season after Main's purple patch yet he was never mentioned as being in line for one. 

He was supposed to have been planning on talks in January but apparently that never happened, then this was the line in April when the Aberdeen thing came up: “There has been no movement in terms of that [my future]. Everything since the turn of the year has been fully focussed on whether we can make the top six or not. It is something that has been on the back burner."

If we'd got to April and we still hadn't made him an offer then it'd suggest that anything we did put on the table would have been a token gesture.

It's interesting that (per Scott 'reliable' Burns) Aberdeen apparently tried for him in January but he preferred to wait and see what his options were in the summer. Can't argue with that as an approach but if, as @Desp (and the Burns story) says, his preference was to go back south then he may not have had particularly attractive options on that score.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That looks to have been the case. We were dishing out extensions like sweeties at the end of last season after Main's purple patch yet he was never mentioned as being in line for one. 

He was supposed to have been planning on talks in January but apparently that never happened, then this was the line in April when the Aberdeen thing came up: “There has been no movement in terms of that [my future]. Everything since the turn of the year has been fully focussed on whether we can make the top six or not. It is something that has been on the back burner."

If we'd got to April and we still hadn't made him an offer then it'd suggest that anything we did put on the table would have been a token gesture.

It's interesting that (per Scott 'reliable' Burns) Aberdeen apparently tried for him in January but he preferred to wait and see what his options were in the summer. Can't argue with that as an approach but if, as @Desp says, his preference was to go back south then he may not have had particularly attractive options on that score.

Sounds like the typical footballer who doesn't want to stay but is publicly keeping his cards close to his chest. We're going through the same with GMS.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Sounds like the typical footballer who doesn't want to stay but is publicly keeping his cards close to his chest. We're going through the same with GMS.

Definitely. It's been pretty clear for ages that Main wasn't planning on sticking around.

I think most of us expected him to be away in January especially after his perma-rage red card against Killie in December.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

100% Correct - but in this case, the feeling was clearly mutual as the club made no effort to keep him whatsoever.