The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Stewart’s been given plenty of games in the middle as well and proven to be just as ineffective there for us as he is out wide.

I didn’t think there was any way he could be worse than his first spell with us but he found a way.

The signing of Stewart and McInnes's insistence in squeezing him into the side de-stabilized our season, of that there's no doubt.

We were ticking along nicely right up until the point of signing him. May and Cosgrove were forming a decent partnership up front. Since then we've won one home game, and our best result was the cup game at Ibrox where Stewart didn't play.

Stewart has been the worst mistake that McInnes has made in almost 6 years at the club, and he compounded it on Sunday by unbelievably leaving him on the park and taking off Stevie May.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The signing of Stewart and McInnes's insistence in squeezing him into the side de-stabilized our season, of that there's no doubt.

We were ticking along nicely right up until the point of signing him. May and Cosgrove were forming a decent partnership up front. Since then we've won one home game, and our best result was the cup game at Ibrox where Stewart didn't play.

Stewart has been the worst mistake that McInnes has made in almost 6 years at the club, and he compounded it on Sunday by unbelievably leaving him on the park and taking off Stevie May.

Stewart hasn’t been helped by the inconsistency and absence of our other creative players, so I can’t agree that picking him has de-stabilised the season.

You’re probably right about the cup game at Ibrox being our best result , but I don’t think it was our best performance this year. We played very well against Hibs when we won 2-1 and should really have won far more convincingly. We had loads of goal attempts and wasted plenty good chances and situations. I was very optimistic for the rest of the season after that game, although admittedly Hibs were in turmoil at that time.

Stewart played well that day and it was maybe significant enough that Cosgrove had to go off injured quite early.  GMS has hardly featured since that game and I think if he’d stayed fit and focussed, we’d have got more out of Stewart playing in the same team as him. 

16 minutes ago, A96 said:

Stewart hasn’t been helped by the inconsistency and absence of our other creative players, so I can’t agree that picking him has de-stabilised the season.

You’re probably right about the cup game at Ibrox being our best result , but I don’t think it was our best performance this year. We played very well against Hibs when we won 2-1 and should really have won far more convincingly. We had loads of goal attempts and wasted plenty good chances and situations. I was very optimistic for the rest of the season after that game, although admittedly Hibs were in turmoil at that time.

Stewart played well that day and it was maybe significant enough that Cosgrove had to go off injured quite early.  GMS has hardly featured since that game and I think if he’d stayed fit and focussed, we’d have got more out of Stewart playing in the same team as him. 

I’m a big fan of Greg and desperate to see him prosper. The Hibs game was a while back now and he was also decent home to Sevco in the 4-2 loss. It’s so obvious the lack of pace without GMS hinders a creative player like Greg as you say. 

However, the last few weeks he has walked about at snails pace and the touch and turns aren’t working. He could have been playing in the Barcelona first team and he would still be lethargic.

Edited by big al

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Greg Stewart would look off the pace playing for Barcelona, i think you’re onto something there.

Ok, not the greatest wording.

’recently he would still have been shite no matter who was playing alongside him’.

We were previously informed Mackay-Steven would be fit for the post-split fixtures - any update if he’s likely to be in Saturday’s squad?

Starting to think it’s unlikely we’ll see him again.

Although saying that, the NYC thing has gone quiet and I’ve not heard any rumours about other interest.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Stewart gets more excuses made for him than just about any other player I can recall in my time watching Aberdeen. 

Mostly by McInnes.

I've never seen a player in the last 5 years put in a a series of such uninspired, insipid performances, and not get dropped. On top of that, the very fact that he's in the side completely unbalances the way we want to play.

It's baffling that he continues to get picked.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Mostly by McInnes.

I've never seen a player in the last 5 years put in a a series of such uninspired, insipid performances, and not get dropped. On top of that, the very fact that he's in the side completely unbalances the way we want to play.

It's baffling that he continues to get picked.

In the absence of Mcginn and GMS he should really be the most creative outlet we have by far, so you can see the temptation to play him.

DrewDon is right, he's been a shitebag for us and should be contributing far more than he has, regardless of the system played. Mcinnes should have dropped him more though and he definitely should have come off instead of May on Sunday. Less than useless with 10 men against Celtic.

Derek McInnes said in his Press Conference that the SFA have not contacted him about the Celtic match at the weekend and expect to hear today if banned from the dugout. 

Media was asking him about the Scotland job but he refused to answer due to respect for Alex McLeish he has. Can't see the SFA paying Aberdeen over 1 million to get Derek McInnes and also the massive wages he is on at us after signing a new  improved contract after turning down Rangers. 

On 17/04/2019 at 12:07, RussellAnderson said:

I think we can all agree that the team is better with Stevie May in it, Greg Stewart is a shitebag and I am always right about everything.

What's that? Stevie May playing the full 90, Stewart nowhere to be seen and the Dandies cantering to a 1-0 thrashing of head's gone championees 8-man Killie? 

Always. Right. 

A few twitter rumours circulating that Stewart was dropped and won’t play for us again after signing a pre contract with Der ***. Not sure how much truth is in it but he won’t be a loss - think he’s shown his arse collapses when playing for a team any bigger than Dundee. 

McInnes basically admitting Shinnie is away which isn’t exactly news.

“There's been certain clubs interested that he just wouldn't entertain”  But I’m taking this as the **** were sniffing about and Shinnie has told them to f**k off.

A few twitter rumours circulating that Stewart was dropped and won’t play for us again after signing a pre contract with Der ***.

“There's been certain clubs interested that he just wouldn't entertain”  But I’m taking this as the **** were sniffing about and Shinnie has told them to f**k off.

fuckin RIGHT on both counts.

[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️Graeme Shinnie
[emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]Greg Stewart

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/exodus-will-see-dons-look-abroad-in-hunt-for-new-players/?fbclid=IwAR0hEN5NnUNdl6BDw-GT7yGf5Jjoz8Zg_fQicRqtMX_EXbRXzgDkyQ1tjvE

Glad to see the club looking outside of the UK for new players, it's frustrating that it's taken so long though. Our rivals have been doing it for years whilst we've been pissing money away on journeymen from the English lower leagues.

It's a shame Cardona didn't fancy the move here, he certainly would've sparked a bit of a buzz within the support at the start of the season. Who in their right mind would turn down Aberdeen to stay at Barcelona or go to Eibar? :lol:

Glad to see Considine is in talks over a new deal. I'd re-sign Cerny too, doubt we could get another keeper of that quality who would be happy to sit on the bench. Can't imagine his wages are that high either given his previous clubs. 

This window really is make or break for McInnes. The supporters are understandably becoming frustrated with our brutal tactics and horrendous inconsistency, a couple of wins at Ibrox doesn't make up for a season of shite. The majority of his previous signings have been fucking woeful, and the fact that we are having to replace eleven players in one window is a ridiculous, worrying situation to be in.

On 4/17/2019 at 23:10, anotherchance said:

Starting to think it’s unlikely we’ll see him again.

Although saying that, the NYC thing has gone quiet and I’ve not heard any rumours about other interest.

I know it doesn't work like that, but kind of feel he 'owes us' another season.  We've got his career back on track, but it's been too stoppy-starty - and not helped by these bigot brother inflicted injuries.

If NYC interest is genuine, it's likely a no-brainer though - not sure how their transfer window works given MLS is now under way.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:22, AngusTheBull said:

A few twitter rumours circulating that Stewart was dropped and won’t play for us again after signing a pre contract with Der ***. Not sure how much truth is in it but he won’t be a loss - think he’s shown his arse collapses when playing for a team any bigger than Dundee. 

I'd heard that was a done deal prior to the SC semi, which he did play in.

I think McInnes will just pick what he feels is his best team.