The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sorry, you're right, it was you suggesting it if I remember correctly? 

I don't remember that at all

We need to cast the net fully wider when it comes to recruitment. McInnis has kept us up there despite losing key players in the last few seasons without too many major signings. We will struggle to finish in 2nd and really the cup is the only thing we have to look for in this season. If we lose Shinnie, and the loans go and why the duck do we want to sign Greg Stewart when in two loan spells he has done nothing?

Decent chance that Cosgrove (20k) will out score Édouard (9M) and Morelos (1M).

If McKenna goes early, or we know he will, then we would have a bit of leeway for a rebuild. Hope we'd push the boat out and try to get Jason Kerr in as his replacement as we'd almost definitely recoup whatever we pay.

Quite like Lawson at Livi as a possible Shinnie replacement.

23 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Can't say I'd be too disappointed if our offer is withdrawn. Shaughnessy is not as good as any of the four* centre-backs we currently have at the club, and he certainly isn't good enough to be a replacement for McKenna, if that is the intention.

* Reluctantly including Hoban here. 

McKenna is vastly overrated, lump of wood.

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I am genuinely petrified about the next window

We’ve got it badly wrong in a few areas the last couple of windows....

Not really.

We brought in Lewis Ferguson, which was a stupendous bit of business, and Max Lowe. 

McInnes, like all managers, gets some things right and some things wrong. His record though proves that he mostly gets it right.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

He's a 22 year old centre back who has already captained his country. The vast majority of central defenders don't become really good players until they're into their late 20's, or even after that.

If social media had been around in the 80's, I dare say that thick as shit jealous wee people like you would have been saying that Miller and McLeish were lumps of wood as well. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

52 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Not really.

We brought in Lewis Ferguson, which was a stupendous bit of business, and Max Lowe. 

McInnes, like all managers, gets some things right and some things wrong. His record though proves that he mostly gets it right.

Erm, yes really 

Two good signings there you’ve mentioned over the past couple of years 

Does that excuse the dough spunked on:

Greg Tansy

Nicky Maynard 

Stephen Gleeson 

Chris Forrester 

James Wilson 

Our Recruitment is sketchy at best, I don’t see how it can be argued otherwise 

12 hours ago, Killiefan said:

He's a defender who defends - he's still young so will make mistakes and have bad games, but has all the physical attributes to do well in English football, at least at Championship level,

Six fixtures in Glasgow to date this season - two goals conceded - McKenna was pivotal to that record.

It's a very Scottish thing to slate young players that are making good progress. 

Edited by tarapoa

11 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Erm, yes really 

Two good signings there you’ve mentioned over the past couple of years 

Does that excuse the dough spunked on:

Greg Tansy

Nicky Maynard 

Stephen Gleeson 

Chris Forrester 

James Wilson 

I think it's fair to say that our transfer record has become more patchy since we've had to basically rebuild the team every summer, which is understandable to a large degree. In the first few windows Derek was excellent at building on the core of the team he inherited. Initially Robson, Flood.  Then we had Logan and Rooney, Shinnie, Mclean and lewis.  We seemed to resolve all the significant issues in the team.  Yes there were duds along the way but they never lasted long, Zola, Wylde  etc were shipped on pretty quickly.

Since the 2017 SC final when we lost basically the core of the team, Mcinnes was chased by Sunderland and then we had a few weeks to pull a team together for Europe.

Tansey was never good enough.  In defence of Maynard, he was a back up option to May or Moult, had we signed May earlier in that window I very much doubt we'd have signed him. We've signed players that on paper should've been good enough.  I was pleased with Gleeson, May, Stewart, Wilson etc at the time of signing, all seemed good options.

We are maybe guilty of not digging deep enough into the character of some of these guys, Wilson in particular seems a total p***k, as he's clearly talented.

We've not had  the best few windows but I think it's a stretch to say I'm petrified of what's to come.

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Every single team out there has hits and misses when bringing in new players.

We've brought in some dross, of that there's no doubt, but given that only 1 team in Scotland has finished above us in the last 4 years, I would suggest that we're doing better than most when it comes to recruitment.

Could we be doing better though ? Yes, probably.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

On 07/04/2019 at 21:42, Bob Mahelp said:

He's a 22 year old centre back who has already captained his country. The vast majority of central defenders don't become really good players until they're into their late 20's, or even after that.

If social media had been around in the 80's, I dare say that thick as shit jealous wee people like you would have been saying that Miller and McLeish were lumps of wood as well. 

Poor mans  Zander Diamond, oh and I’m totally thick and wee. 

Also Willie Miller is needing to get put in a home, senile old twat that proves that heading a ball is bad for you.

10 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Also Willie Miller is needing to get put in a home, senile old twat that proves that heading a ball is bad for you.

Oh dear oh dear - and we tended to think people from west central Scotland that chose not to support the bigot brothers were the good guys.

There are quite a few defenders of the day getting early onset dementia and this could well be a contributory factor.  I know one of them very well and he lifted silverware with AFC in 1970 - and of course two of the more high profile cases managed us.

Maybe you need to find out more about what Amanda Kopel is doing for this cause.

Edited by tarapoa