The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I may have said this before, but I’m convinced that if we had the defenders available that we have just now to play the back five, including Lewis, we would have won the league against Delia’s Celtic in the year that Ward left in the January. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I may have said this before, but I’m convinced that if we had the defenders available that we have just now to play the back five, including Lewis, we would have won the league against Delia’s Celtic in the year that Ward left in the January. 

I've gone over this in my head loads of times. There's loads of different alternative scenarios. You're right, the back five of now, plus Pawlett, McLean, Hayes, Rooney, et al, could have really challenged. Likewise, if we'd had the 16/17 season the season before, we'd have certainly won a cup.  We've been lucky with timing in some respects (no Hibs/Hearts/**** for a lot of the time) but we've been unlucky too in that Rodgers came in at the exact moment we put together IMO our strongest team in 25 years. We then lost Jack, Hayes and McGinn and had to start rebuilding again last season. 

Such is life. 

Even if you just replaced Scott brown with joe Lewis it would’ve been really interesting to see how close we pushed them.

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Even if you just replaced Scott brown with joe Lewis it would’ve been really interesting to see how close we pushed them.

Yeah, you’re right. Scott Brown in goal affected the confidence of our other defenders, as well as the fact that he wasn’t a top class keeper.

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I've gone over this in my head loads of times. There's loads of different alternative scenarios. You're right, the back five of now, plus Pawlett, McLean, Hayes, Rooney, et al, could have really challenged. Likewise, if we'd had the 16/17 season the season before, we'd have certainly won a cup.  We've been lucky with timing in some respects (no Hibs/Hearts/**** for a lot of the time) but we've been unlucky too in that Rodgers came in at the exact moment we put together IMO our strongest team in 25 years. We then lost Jack, Hayes and McGinn and had to start rebuilding again last season. 

Such is life. 

It's bizarre that we haven't won the Scottish cup under McInnes. We would have beaten anyone else outside Celtic in the 16/17 final.

50 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:
It's bizarre that we haven't won the Scottish cup under McInnes. We would have beaten anyone else outside Celtic in the 16/17 final.

Strangely the list of teams that have ended it is st Johnstone, Dundee, hearts and Motherwell (outside of Celtic) under McInnes. Quite disappointing when you look at it that way.

ETA - you can add Caley to that this year

Edited by Dons_1988

With the best will in the world, Shinnie would not transform the **** into world beaters or even Celtic beaters

Aye, it would weaken AFC but if that is the level of their targets they'll still be in Aberdeen's, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock's sights next season

It may, of course, be a sign of their poverty in that it's as high as they can aim. If it is he'll win f**k all there either

19 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

With the best will in the world, Shinnie would not transform the **** into world beaters or even Celtic beaters

Aye, it would weaken AFC but if that is the level of their targets they'll still be in Aberdeen's, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock's sights next season

It may, of course, be a sign of their poverty in that it's as high as they can aim. If it is he'll win f**k all there either

He's already got a Scottish cup winners medal.

2 by the end of this season hopefully. :lol:

Derek saying big Andy just failed a late fitness test on his calf.

I would assume from that he won’t be out for too long hopefully.

Also saying McKenna wasn’t fully fit yesterday and will be a doubt for the Scotland game - hopefully not a Devlin  type scenario where he goes away with Scotland then is out for a while.