The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

He has all the talent in the world but prone to hiding after some rough treatment. 
He could really kick on when he realises he's not made of glass.
what youve said there applies to about 90% of wingers/attacking midfielders. one of the biggest shite pokes ive seen in dark blue was gavin swankie. as soon as his opposite number let him know he was there he bottled it. seems wright will be a useful addition anyway

I'm watching this QotS game and they're mentioning us losing to StJ in the 2014 Scottish Cup. It got me thinking about how we had a really decent chance to do a double. 

My theory is:

If we'd won that double, McInnes would have been sacked by now. 

The expectations would have been raised, and after maybe 2015/16 when we didn't really do anything in the cups and "just finished second again", the fans would be more angry after having a taste of significant success a couple of years earlier. 

19 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I'm watching this QotS game and they're mentioning us losing to StJ in the 2014 Scottish Cup. It got me thinking about how we had a really decent chance to do a double. 

My theory is:

If we'd won that double, McInnes would have been sacked by now. 

The expectations would have been raised, and after maybe 2015/16 when we didn't really do anything in the cups and "just finished second again", the fans would be more angry after having a taste of significant success a couple of years earlier. 

Nah , can't agree with your theory.  Some fans .....(or clowns as I would prefer to call them) ....might have thought that way , but not nearly enough to be taken seriously.

But a cup double that season could have led to McInnes getting himself in the frame for another job in England, so he might have left us in that way instead.

Edited by A96

The St Johnstone semi final probably was the one that got away and I think McInnes maybe could have been back down south if he had done the double. I think there is a bit of similarity with the situations of McInnes and Pochettino in that just making a club continuously relevant is an achievement in itself. Given Aberdeen hadn't been in the top six for 4 consecutive years and had not reached a final for 13 (thirteen) years before McInnes arrived at Aberdeen it's not unfair to suggest Aberdeen were pretty irrelevant.  For Aberdeen fans sake lets remain hopeful that McInnes is not actually all that good and that Aberdeen will still be as strong a force when he leaves but I am sceptical.  Almost every time Aberdeen have come up short in the cups it has been due to Celtic and given their relative resources it's not much of a wonder why but at least every season now has something which can keep everyone engaged and allow (non-moron) fans to have a team they can be proud of.

Said farewell to my uncle Andrew Milne today, one of your own. A proud Aberdonian sent on his journey in a home shirt with '83 on the back. Taken far too soon and I will miss going to the Saints / Aberdeen games with him, which usually ended with him happier at the end of the day than me. RIP Andy.

The St Johnstone semi final probably was the one that got away and I think McInnes maybe could have been back down south if he had done the double. I think there is a bit of similarity with the situations of McInnes and Pochettino in that just making a club continuously relevant is an achievement in itself. Given Aberdeen hadn't been in the top six for 4 consecutive years and had not reached a final for 13 (thirteen) years before McInnes arrived at Aberdeen it's not unfair to suggest Aberdeen were pretty irrelevant.  For Aberdeen fans sake lets remain hopeful that McInnes is not actually all that good and that Aberdeen will still be as strong a force when he leaves but I am sceptical.  Almost every time Aberdeen have come up short in the cups it has been due to Celtic and given their relative resources it's not much of a wonder why but at least every season now has something which can keep everyone engaged and allow (non-moron) fans to have a team they can be proud of.

This is spot on. Great post.

If the Twitter morons read this they’d think you were saying McInnes is of the same standing as Pochettino and call you a happy clapper.

18 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I disagree.

Aberdeen have always been relevant. 

The top half of the table and later stages of the cup were largely irrelevant throughout the late nineties and the noughties.