The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Wikipedia has our first team squad as follow...

It seems so threadbare compared to previous seasons (especially if you remove the loan players).  Our strength in depth was once the one of the main assets of our squad.

Capture.JPG

Its hard to understand what the motive to move on three players tonight if it wasnt to make space for fresh blood

Our bench is being slowly picked off tonight. Of the 5 we have let go out this month, 4 of them have been/would be considered regular first 18 players.
If nobody is coming in then we are going to need a lot of luck with injuries and suspensions.

1 minute ago, d31 said:

Its hard to understand what the motive to move on three players tonight if it wasnt to make space for fresh blood

It is proving to be a disappointing window as things stand.  Almost a quarter of our first team squad is made up of loan players too.  I understand that we need to use the loan market but that seems an awfully high percentage to me.

Just now, NorthernLights said:

It is proving to be a disappointing window as things stand.  Almost a quarter of our first team squad is made up of loan players too.  I understand that we need to use the loan market but that seems an awfully high percentage to me.

Like putting a plaster on a bullet wound. The constant cycle of having to replace loan players is going to significantly hold us back as a club. You can't build a team round folk who will only be here for a few months. Instead of taking folk in on loan, We should really be focusing on developing our own kids so that we can get the benefits of them and then hopefully sell them for a decent fee. 

Very strange window from Aberdeen. To only have a squad of 21 is madness. Especially when 3 of them have very little first team experience, Devlin and Hoban (maybe Wilson too) are injury risks and he clearly doesn’t overly rate or trust Gleeson to start many games. 

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I suppose we should be thankful for the DNA money, who knows how even smaller the squad would be without it.

I would struggle to justify the money to renew my AberDNA membership next season for various reasons but I won't feel any guilt when I don't renew based on the last couple of transfer windows.  Fair play to McInnes for getting us to this point this season, I just hope he can maintain it until the end of the season with the players we have left.

We signed the league's second top scorer and didn't lose any of the lb we thought was off or the cb or captain we feared might be. 

Anderson and Wright will benefit from the game time elsewhere. Ross, Campbell and Mclennan will benefit from more opportunities and a vote of confidence.

21 players might be a low number but we have a lot of versatility; each of considine, hoban, Shinnie, fergusson, may, stewart and mcginn can play well in at least 2 positions (and ball can fill in midfield or defence too.)

Not sure what attributes a replacement for Tansey or Forrester requires.

I think the key to the season will be hoping Mckenna, Devlin and Cosgrove stay fit for as much of it as possible. Team looks so much more solid when the two first choice CB’s play together.  Stewart is still to be proven for Aberdeen and GMS hasn’t looked the same player yet since the injury. Also have to hope he and Shinnie don’t have their heads turned by their impending moves and lose focus. It’s still a pretty good first eleven and bench but we are going to have to rely on luck now with regards injuries and suspensions.

It's a good first XI, but a thin squad that will have to be fortunate with injuries and suspensions, which, looking at the injury records of some of our players, is really going to require some luck.

I know DNA is an emotional investment for many, but this is perhaps the sort of thing that will test the patience of some contributors. 

Our starting 11   is better than any team apart fae celtic..  Devlin coming back is massive . Anderson and Wright were not  going to get game time 

Cosgrove and Mclennan  and May have earned there spots . We need find out if the young lads can do it .its good moves.

Frank Ross for me and seen him plenty times has more ability than  both them and can see him taking his chance when it comes.

With Devlin fit the bench will be Wilson,Considine .Ball Gleeson, Ross ,Cambell .Mcginn  etc.. looks well decent to me .

Questions   worrying asked about next season and the loan players and shinnie and gms are right its a big worry  So looking forward  see fit  Del says this afternoon.

If he does say we coud not get couple over the line i will nut the c**t though. 

Our starting 11   is better than any team apart fae celtic..  Devlin coming back is massive . Anderson and Wright were not  going to get game time 
Cosgrove and Mclennan  and May have earned there spots . We need find out if the young lads can do it .its good moves.
Frank Ross for me and seen him plenty times has more ability than  both them and can see him taking his chance when it comes.
With Devlin fit the bench will be Wilson,Considine .Ball Gleeson, Ross ,Cambell .Mcginn  etc.. looks well decent to me .
Questions   worrying asked about next season and the loan players and shinnie and gms are right its a big worry  So looking forward  see fit  Del says this afternoon.
If he does say we coud not get couple over the line i will nut the c**t though. 

Your first eleven is better than rangers? Really?

Life’s too short, lads.
I have no issue with the players out the door. Tansey/forrester/Reynolds weren’t going to play anyway.
Wright and Anderson need games.
I think it’s obvious we were trying to get reinforcements in last night but for whatever reason it’s not happened. Shit happens.
The squad is fine, if a little thin.
Typically understated meltdown from Aberdeen fans again.