The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
33 minutes ago, RiG said:

Christie was already an excellent player before he went to you and was already starring for the third best team in the country and winning the Football Writers YPotY (or something like that). He was hardly some rough diamond that Aberdeen polished up.

You misunderstand me.

Christie was always a good player with potential, who went to Celtic and was well on his way to seeing his career fizzle out à la Scott Allan or Ryan Gauld.

The ability was always there (and as you say, developed by ICT), but  the Ryan Christie of today is very much the product of his year or more playing 1st team football with Aberdeen. I don't think it's wrong to say that.

The point is, Christie played almost as many games (on loan) at Aberdeen as he did with ICT.  And the only team to benefit from all of that, is Celtic.

I don't see why we should do them the same favour with Morgan.

Aberdeen turned Christie into an internationalist and made him the player that he's become.
What benefit did we get out of it ?
I hope that Mcinnes drops this lunatic idea (if it's real).  I could see Morgan getting a hard time from Dons fans if he ends up at Pittodrie for the next 5 months.
Did Christie not contribute to Aberdeen finishing 2nd last season?

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You misunderstand me.

Christie was always a good player with potential, who went to Celtic and was well on his way to seeing his career fizzle out à la Scott Allan or Ryan Gauld.

The ability was always there (and as you say, developed by ICT), but  the Ryan Christie of today is very much the product of his year or more playing 1st team football with Aberdeen. I don't think it's wrong to say that.

The point is, Christie played almost as many games (on loan) at Aberdeen as he did with ICT.  And the only team to benefit from all of that, is Celtic.

I don't see why we should do them the same favour with Morgan.

Don't disagree he improved at Aberdeen but the way some Dons fans talk of him it's like he was almost a nothing player when he arrived. 

Agree with your point about developing players for a rival. Morgan coming in would obviously benefit Aberdeen in the short term but long term will only really benefit Celtic you would imagine.

Don't disagree he improved at Aberdeen but the way some Dons fans talk of him it's like he was almost a nothing player when he arrived. 

Don’t think anyone thinks that. We just naturally talk about him in the context of what he was when he first came to us on loan and where he is now.

He had to sit at home for the Scottish cup final 2 years ago and then scored the winner against us in December.

The risk you take with the loan system I suppose but we have certainly been burned by it.

In truth I think Christie has stepped it up quite a bit this season. If he was playing like he did for us in the second half of last season I think he would already have or be on the verge of being bombed out of Celtic cheap.

Edited by Rodhull

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, RiG said:

Apologies, I didn't mean it that way. Christie was excellent at ICT and I've always believed he was destined for a great future in the game.

I think Dons_1988 summed up what I was struggling to say....I only meant it in the context of him going nowhere at Celtic Park before we came along with the loan deal.

I would not be happy if we took Morgan on loan. I do not see what the long term benefit is to us it is to develop a player for another team especially if that meant stopping one our own players getting game time. I accept that Christie contributed to us finishing 2nd however he was not able to play in the games against Celtic which meant we had to make changes to our team and style of play for the games involving the team that finished in front of us and beat us in the cup final. Meant we already starting on the back foot on these games.

Christie would have developed elsewhere if not at Aberdeen, perhaps even at another Scottish club. He could still be playing well for Celtic now and scoring against us; the main difference would have been that we wouldn't even have had the short-term benefits provided by having him on loan for the time we did. 

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Forrester gone. Fair bit of money wasted on him.

Sounds like it was partially done on a compassionate basis due to his family issues.

Sounds like we were unlucky with his personal issues.  Never really got to see what he was capable of.

All the best to him, hopefully frees up a wage to get in someone else.

Edited by Dons_1988

Surely if Morgan on loan is the best option available in this window then it is worth doing? Of course you'd rather have the same player on a permanent deal, but that doesn't mean any such player is realistically available right now.

Having to drop Christie for all the Celtic games wasn't ideal, but the real problem was that nobody stepped up in his absence. I'd hope we could get more out of the youngsters who could step-in now for any games Morgan misses.

Guest Bob Mahelp
25 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Surely if Morgan on loan is the best option available in this window then it is worth doing? Of course you'd rather have the same player on a permanent deal, but that doesn't mean any such player is realistically available right now.

Having to drop Christie for all the Celtic games wasn't ideal, but the real problem was that nobody stepped up in his absence. I'd hope we could get more out of the youngsters who could step-in now for any games Morgan misses.

I'll respectfully disagree.

Realistically our best chance of winning a trophy this season is the Scottish cup (if we can get past Stenhousemuir). To win the cup, there's a fair chance that at some point we'll have to beat Celtic.....a game that Morgan couldn't play in anyway.

I can't for a moment think what benefit there is for Aberdeen in helping to develop another Celtic youngster.

35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sounds like we were unlucky with his personal issues.  Never really got to see what he was capable of.

All the best to him, hopefully frees up a wage to get in someone else.

Read it was around 120k Plus 6 months wages. 

Sister died suddenly in November. He was shite, before that happened.

Unlucky or not, probably our worst signing in modern times, not many outside the ugly sisters can pay a fee for players, we have spunked the guts of 200k on this lad.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

if we bring Morgan in its not ideal but he'll still get my support,especially if he bangs a winner at ibrox

F*ck that. I hope he signs and plays on Saturday so I can spend 90 minutes booing him.