The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Has he improved quite a bit since leaving? I tend to avoid St Johnstone games unless they involve Aberdeen (for obvious reasons) so I've no idea if he would be a good signing or not.

Yeah he’s been pretty decent. Super passion and desire. Still young and learning. An ideal signing imo.

Good to hear. Annoyingly my abiding memory of him playing for us is when he needlessly got himself sent off against Motherwell after about five minutes.

Still won the game if I remember correctly?

My memory of him is the pictures of him swinging from a lamppost in the wee small hours after we won the League Cup. Also scoring with a beachball while we were locked in after beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup that same season.

Stewart showed nice touches and is technically gifted, but I'm not sure about him and Cosgrove together. I thought Cosgrove - and the team more generally - missed May's ability to drag defenders and press from the front. Mackay-Steven was probably the biggest disappointment for me, though; he played like somebody who wanted to avoid injury. There just wasn't enough intensity or urgency to our play at 1-0, combined with a lack of a guile and a general complacency, and now we have an unwanted and unnecessary replay to negotiate. 

Stewart showed nice touches and is technically gifted, but I'm not sure about him and Cosgrove together. I thought Cosgrove - and the team more generally - missed May's ability to drag defenders and press from the front.

Make sure fans of other teams don’t see this they’ll lose their minds. But Stewart’s scores more goals than May so he must be a better player!!! Aaaaah!

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Stewart showed nice touches and is technically gifted, but I'm not sure about him and Cosgrove together. I thought Cosgrove - and the team more generally - missed May's ability to drag defenders and press from the front. Mackay-Steven was probably the biggest disappointment for me, though; he played like somebody who wanted to avoid injury. There just wasn't enough intensity or urgency to our play at 1-0, combined with a lack of a guile and a general complacency, and now we have an unwanted and unnecessary replay to negotiate. 

That’s almost exactly what I was going to say about yesterday. I didn’t think that we played that badly, but we didn’t threaten enough. Cosgrove was almost anonymous, apart from the ball always breaking away from him when he was trying to hold it up. Stevie May is probably a better option with Greg Stewart, who definitely looked like a player yesterday.

7 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Make sure fans of other teams don’t see this they’ll lose their minds. But Stewart’s scores more goals than May so he must be a better player!!! Aaaaah!

Are you seriously suggesting May is a better player than Stewart? 

19 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Depends what they’re being asked to do.

Well obviously, however McIness has signed Stewart so he must have some sort of plan to utilise him and make Aberdeen a better side than prior to his signing. You’d rather have Stewart in your side every day of the week though. 

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Well obviously, however McIness has signed Stewart so he must have some sort of plan to utilise him and make Aberdeen a better side than prior to his signing. You’d rather have Stewart in your side every day of the week though. 

Well as I've said, not necessarily. Yeah in a playground, everybody lines up and we're picking teams scenario, you'd pick Stewart over May. But in the system which we've played through November and December, the system where we've been as good as we've been this season, directly replacing May with Stewart wouldn't benefit the team. 

I wasn't at the game but from what I gather that's what happened yesterday. Cosgrove was isolated and although Stewart was our best attacking outlet, he didn't bring the best out of the rest of the team. 

I believe that to accommodate Stewart we would need a proper defensive mid in the place of either Shinnie or Ferguson, potentially Gleeson, but more likely a player who we don't have in our squad at this minute. Killie got the best out of him with Power and Dicker behind him in the centre of the park, both of whom are more defensive than our preferred duo. Because May puts in that defensive shift up the park, it allows the midfielders to support more and puts pressure on the opposition closer to their goal. 

There could, as someone's alluded to above, be room for both May and Stewart, but that would probably mean dropping the Ballon d'Or, and I wouldn't want to do that either. 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That’s almost exactly what I was going to say about yesterday. I didn’t think that we played that badly, but we didn’t threaten enough. Cosgrove was almost anonymous, apart from the ball always breaking away from him when he was trying to hold it up. Stevie May is probably a better option with Greg Stewart, who definitely looked like a player yesterday.

Aye that is the problem we will have .  was it down to missing  mays workrate and  the poor performace of mcginn and gms  that cosgrove never got chance.....bit both  prob .    next few games will tell   us if we can miss mays workrate   ..    stewart .thought he was excellent on the ball ..but not close enough cosgrove or not  on the ball   enough times around the box where he is needed . 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, logie skid boys said:

Aye that is the problem we will have .  was it down to missing  mays workrate and  the poor performace of mcginn and gms  that cosgrove never got chance.....bit both  prob .    next few games will tell   us if we can miss mays workrate   ..    stewart .thought he was excellent on the ball ..but not close enough cosgrove or not  on the ball   enough times around the box where he is needed . 

We also couldn't cross to save our lives. 

We must have attempted to cross the ball more than 50 times.....McGinn, GMS, Stewart, Logan, Lowe, Shinnie, McLennan...every fucking player outside Lewis had a go at putting the ball into the box, and every fucking cross was utter shite.  

It was either too low and the first man nodded it away, or too high and it flew past the back post. 

What chance did Cosgrove have ? The rest of the should hang their heads in shame that in 90 minutes of crossie in against a part-time team at the bottom of League One, not one of them could find a decent cross.

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Well as I've said, not necessarily. Yeah in a playground, everybody lines up and we're picking teams scenario, you'd pick Stewart over May. But in the system which we've played through November and December, the system where we've been as good as we've been this season, directly replacing May with Stewart wouldn't benefit the team. 

I wasn't at the game but from what I gather that's what happened yesterday. Cosgrove was isolated and although Stewart was our best attacking outlet, he didn't bring the best out of the rest of the team. 

I believe that to accommodate Stewart we would need a proper defensive mid in the place of either Shinnie or Ferguson, potentially Gleeson, but more likely a player who we don't have in our squad at this minute. Killie got the best out of him with Power and Dicker behind him in the centre of the park, both of whom are more defensive than our preferred duo. Because May puts in that defensive shift up the park, it allows the midfielders to support more and puts pressure on the opposition closer to their goal. 

There could, as someone's alluded to above, be room for both May and Stewart, but that would probably mean dropping the Ballon d'Or, and I wouldn't want to do that either. 

Bingo.