The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It’s now something like 12 hours since Derek and Sam were announced as MOTM and POTM. BBC Scotland sports website still has no acknowledgement that this has happened. For some reason, I can’t imagine that if some other clubs had done this double, there wouldn’t be a wee bit on their site.

12 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

This is why I don’t pay my telly licence.

And that's why the BBC have been refusing to publicise it.  Come on Russell don't be so fucking mean.

16 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Good post. 

GMS came to Pittodrie as an inconsistent winger with a reputation for being a lightweight shirker.  On his debut there were Dons fans booing him for being an Arab/T*m f*cker, for God's sake. 

I've never seen a Dons player improve as much in an 18 month period. Great ball skills, goalscorer, and incredibly hard worker who puts in a great defensive shift every game, and is 200% physically committed....never shirks out of challenge and gives every thing for the team. 

He'll be sadly missed if/when he goes. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

15 hours ago, d31 said:

For us Greg Stewart ship has certainly sailed.

We were not brave enough to give him a run at #9 or #10.

Huge blow for Killie to lose Jones and Stewart this month if as looks very likely it does happen.

We had Ryan Christie last season.

We now don't have Ryan Christie.

Therefore if Birmingham are open to selling him, and we are in the market for a #10 that can provide a goal threat.............then why not?   Unless of course the player holds some kind of personal vandetta and is not open to returning.

~

Edited by tarapoa

I know managers saying something will/won’t happen in a window and then the opposite happening isn’t uncommon but surely Mcinnes specifically saying they’re not selling GMS this window then the club agreeing a fee a few hours later would make him look especially stupid.

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just shows that May will not be accepted by the support until he starts scoring semi-regularly and from open play.

Football fans just think striker = goals and if you're not delivering, you're out.  May has been a really key player over December.

I don’t watch Aberdeen every week but the games I have seen May has been poor in basically all aspects of his game.

Granted recently he’s been more effective and has increased his work rate which was poor previously. 

Lets be honest though, he’s a forward who doesn’t score much, isn’t exceptionally pacy, can’t beat a man, isn’t a great creator, not an exceptional aerial threat  and isn’t great at hold up play with back to goal. Not much of a forward then.

For me a big disappointment for someone who cost a decent transfer fee.

Of course December was a good month and he looked better when others have been playing well, but if some of his teammates go off the boil abit is he going to step up and take his turn to stick out?

14 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I think what’s clear is that if we played with a Greg Stewart-type player instead of May, we’d need a more defensive midfield to make up for the lack of cover a cultured player would provide. If you plonked Stewart into our team in place of May in the 442 McInnes has been using of late, we’d be a worse team.

Sorry but this is garbage. Stewart carries the ball, retains possession and generally gets you up the pitch. May chases loose balls and hassles defenders. In a 4-4-2 you’d rather have May than Stewart against 10 of the 11 opposition teams you face? If that’s generally your answer then football isn’t the sport for you my man. 

Talking defensively, simply running about a lot is not as effective as retaining possession. If the ball sticks you don’t need to run about as much. 

Sorry but this is garbage. Stewart carries the ball, retains possession and generally gets you up the pitch. May chases loose balls and hassles defenders. In a 4-4-2 you’d rather have May than Stewart against 10 of the 11 opposition teams you face? If that’s generally your answer then football isn’t the sport for you my man. 
Talking defensively, simply running about a lot is not as effective as retaining possession. If the ball sticks you don’t need to run about as much. 

If we were to play Stewart in a 442, we’d need a more defensive midfielder than Ferguson sitting next to Shinnie. I say that because May does a lot of defensive work (I know you don’t rate him and that’s fair, it’s your opinion and I know you’ve seen a lot of Dons games) and Stewart, from what I’ve seen, wouldn’t provide that cover to the same degree.

Now that’s based on last season when he was playing for us, and if he’s introduced that aspect of harrying and hassling defences when their in possession to his game in the last 6 months then I’ll stand corrected, but all I’m saying is if we swapped May for Stewart in the exact system we’re currently playing (and playing well with, 6 wins in 8) we’d be worse off.

I also said a few posts up that we should definitely try to sign him, because even as an option off the bench, an on form Stewart is a serious weapon to have. This season’s performances are making last season’s look like the outlier.

We've been forced into playing 4-4-2 by the squad we have. We've lost the dynamic 3 behind the striker we had in 2016. McInnes tried to continue with that formation at the start of the season, it didn't work with the players we now have, so he switched to the 4-4-2 we're playing now. Purely out of need. Make no mistake, that's not the way McInnes wants to play, it's a reaction to the talents of the current pool of players. Kudos to McInnes for recognising that, and the switch in style is the single over-riding reason we finished the year strongly.

That's not how we want to play though, and is a main reason why Gleeson hasn't had much game time. In a 4-4-2 you need two box-to-box midfielders, or one more progressive like Ferguson, and one more defensive like Ball.

The 2016 team had an engine (Shinnie), a ball player (Snake hoor), and a dynamic no.10 (Maddison/Christie), and I think that is the ideal setup for us. That requires two strong wingers however, and if GMS goes it's a problem. As much as I love Shinniesta, Ferguson is a ready made replacement, and will doubtless end up a far better player. Gleeson, from what I've seen, is probably better than Jack. We're now struggling for the no.10 role, and it'll take a bit of genius from McInnes et al to find one.

We've been forced into playing 4-4-2 by the squad we have. We've lost the dynamic 3 behind the striker we had in 2016. McInnes tried to continue with that formation at the start of the season, it didn't work with the players we now have, so he switched to the 4-4-2 we're playing now. Purely out of need. Make no mistake, that's not the way McInnes wants to play, it's a reaction to the talents of the current pool of players. Kudos to McInnes for recognising that, and the switch in style is the single over-riding reason we finished the year strongly.
That's not how we want to play though, and is a main reason why Gleeson hasn't had much game time. In a 4-4-2 you need two box-to-box midfielders, or one more progressive like Ferguson, and one more defensive like Ball.
The 2016 team had an engine (Shinnie), a ball player (Snake hoor), and a dynamic no.10 (Maddison/Christie), and I think that is the ideal setup for us. That requires two strong wingers however, and if GMS goes it's a problem. As much as I love Shinniesta, Ferguson is a ready made replacement, and will doubtless end up a far better player. Gleeson, from what I've seen, is probably better than Jack. We're now struggling for the no.10 role, and it'll take a bit of genius from McInnes et al to find one.

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it there.

The current squad mixed with the old system gave us virtually no goal threat.

Three ‘industrial’ midfielders behind one striker who either isn’t mobile, stays outside the box or doesn’t have the instinct of Rooney. It doesn’t really matter how good the delivery of the wingers is in that instance.

The 16/17 team as you say had the perfect balance from midfield to front. Then add in a more potent threat from shay Logan, set piece threat from Taylor/considine, and a top keeper behind them. I miss that team.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it there.

The current squad mixed with the old system gave us virtually no goal threat.

Three ‘industrial’ midfielders behind one striker who either isn’t mobile, stays outside the box or doesn’t have the instinct of Rooney. It doesn’t really matter how good the delivery of the wingers is in that instance.

The 16/17 team as you say had the perfect balance from midfield to front. Then add in a more potent threat from shay Logan, set piece threat from Taylor/considine, and a top keeper behind them. I miss that team.

Looking for the positives here:

- We have a better defensive unit than the 2016 team (at least assuming Shinnie plays at left back)
- McLennan is better than most wingers in the league at 19 (albeit not the finished article)
- Ferguson is just about as good as Shinnie (and therefore one of the best midfielders in the league)
- The Ballon D'or is coming to Pittodrie

All we need is a no.10 and we'll win the league imo.

Edited by Illgresi

3 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Looking for the positives here:

- We have a better defensive unit than the 2016 team (at least assuming Shinnie plays at left back)
- McLennan is better than most wingers in the league at 19 (albeit not the finished article)
- Ferguson is just about as good as Shinnie (and therefore one of the best midfielders in the league)
- The Ballon D'or is coming to Pittodrie

All we need is a no.10 and we'll win the league imo.

Not according to your manager you’re not. According to McInnes there is no league race and Celtic will win the league. 

He may well be quite right but to publicly say that is a bit defeatist this early in the season