The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Still a loss though. Cushioned by the form of McLennan as has been said but I'd still prefer him to stay.

He's been really good this season which is a complete coincidence that he's in his final year of his contract.

Yes.

But look at our form without him.

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

GMS is my player of the season so far, Connor McLennan did step it up in December but there was a few games where he was poor - lads only 19 but will be in and out of the team for a few years i think. 

GMS has done well individually for the most part, but he's always trying to do it all himself and is sat miles away from the strikers. We've looked a lot better in December. I don't think that is a coincidence.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

GMS has done well individually for the most part, but he's always trying to do it all himself and is sat miles away from the strikers. We've looked a lot better in December. I don't think that is a coincidence.

I think the big difference is putting 2 strikers upfront (ok Stevie May is more a number 10 including covering the midfield to make up for the shortage in midfield) - i think GMS would have created chances for them as well. 

Still seems strange to me that we paid a fee for GMS and only put him on a two year deal. Him leaving like this after one decent season seemed almost inevitable.

Think this is about as good a move as he’d get. i couldn’t see even a decent championship side down south going in for him so this must be more appealing than going to a Coventry or Rotherham type.

32 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I think the big difference is putting 2 strikers upfront (ok Stevie May is more a number 10 including covering the midfield to make up for the shortage in midfield) - i think GMS would have created chances for them as well. 

I doubt he'd put in the defensive shift required for us to play 2 up top.

He was good last season as well.

Hope we can hold onto him til the summer, but if they put in a decent bid (if we can recoup what we paid) then I guess it makes business sense.

It would also free up a sizeable wage and potential transfer cash too so the replacement could be decent. Celtic would be mad to sell but Hayes would be fuckin ideal.

I’ll miss GMS if he goes. Exciting player.

5 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

He was good last season as well.

Hope we can hold onto him til the summer, but if they put in a decent bid (if we can recoup what we paid) then I guess it makes business sense.

It would also free up a sizeable wage and potential transfer cash too so the replacement could be decent. Celtic would be mad to sell but Hayes would be fuckin ideal.

I’ll miss GMS if he goes. Exciting player.

MLS starts in April so you think if they want him they'd want him in now.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I doubt he'd put in the defensive shift required for us to play 2 up top.

aye that part of his game weak point..  Mclennan has been excellent in that department ..his work rate at ibrox was outsanding.

and most the games he has played ....aye be a blow lose  GMS but one i think we can handle as past games have shown....

I'm not having the Mackay-Steven revisionism. He was our best, most threatening attacking player until the beginning of December by a country mile, and the defensive side of his game has improved almost immeasurably since his arrival. McLennan and McGinn both had an impressive month, but Mackay-Steven is the best player of the three. He would be very hard to replace with similar quality, and we would especially miss him when McLennan and McGinn inevitably suffer injuries or dips in form post-break. 

30 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not having the Mackay-Steven revisionism. He was our best, most threatening attacking player until the beginning of December by a country mile, and the defensive side of his game has improved almost immeasurably since his arrival. McLennan and McGinn both had an impressive month, but Mackay-Steven is the best player of the three. He would be very hard to replace with similar quality, and we would especially miss him when McLennan and McGinn inevitably suffer injuries or dips in form post-break. 

What revisionism? 

Yes, he's a very good player but if he was consistent he would never have been at Aberdeen in the first place. 

He comes so deep for the ball that he leaves the front man isolated and by the time he's taken on two or three defenders, we're crowded out in the box. In my opinion there's a lot more balance to the side with McGinn and McLennan. That's not to say I don't rate GMS. Talent wise he is the ebst of the three by some distance.

If he signs a new deal I'd be happy enough but we won't miss him as muich as we'll miss Shinnie.