The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Whilst the european form that season was good, the league form was horrendous. We got utterly demolished by Celtic on the sunday prior to the draw with Bayern.

How we finished fourth is incredible. McGhee's side was also very poor, but it was a side mainly assembled by Calderwood. 

You're still claiming a side that finished 4th a being the worst in recent memory when we've had sides that finished 9th just about every year and Mcghee's team were headed for almost certain relegation.

Pre-Calderwood we were utter garbage as well.  

19 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I added his name for a laugh emoji23.png the worst defender for Aberdeen imho. Was Bossu in the squad that season? He was worst Goalkeeper - Calderwood signed some horrendous players  

Big Jerel Ifil remains the worst footballer I've ever seen to be fair.

Dave Bus may be a close second though :lol:

7 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

My bad. Still frustrating, however.

I think in general terms you have  to trust the management though.

Shankland's attitude at Aberdeen in terms of being in the shape required to play full-time football wasn't where it needs to be - any player coming in at his age without any grounding in full-time football ethos will have that particular bridge to cross. He's on record as saying it wasn't right. We had him out on loan four times across his 4 year contract - it's not as if he came in and got punted (permanently) quickly. In his final year out on loan he did not score that many goals at his present level - none with St Mirren and 4 for Morton from a combined 33 games. 17 league games for the Dons in his 2nd year at Pittodrie and no goals.

In terms of Rose, I remember he got one start live on the telly v St Johnstone but like Shankland, he was not moved on prematurely. He came through the Aberdeen youth system and got 5 seasons at the club.

Harvie got 4 years and proved his mettle in at Championship level with his year at Dumbarton. Last season was his chance to 'do a McKenna' but he sat on the bench for a spell then got injured. Considine being cemented in at left back and barely missing a game would also have limited his chances. Ironically, had he signed for this year there may have been no need to get Lowe in and he'd have got a chance when Considine did pick up an injury in the semi. "Them's the breaks", as they say.

Big Jerel Ifil remains the worst footballer I've ever seen to be fair.
Dave Bus may be a close second though :lol:

Davide Grassi for me. I remember a game at Tynecastle when under no pressure whatsoever Grassi decided to clear the ball deep into the stands for a corner. When the inevitable moans from the Dons support started Mulgrew or Diamond (one of the more competent players anyway) went over to applaud and encourage him as evidently he thought conceding a corner a preferable action to Grassi having the ball for any significant time. I think we won that game though.

On 03/12/2018 at 12:59, RussellAnderson said:

It initially looked like we made a bad decision releasing Declan McManus too. I think we’ve been proven right.

maxresdefault.jpg

declan-mcmanus-signing.jpg?width=900

Wouldn't want someone with such a clear and obvious h* face playing for us anyway.

Edited by red23

11 hours ago, betting competition said:

I added his name for a laugh emoji23.png the worst defender for Aberdeen imho. Was Bossu in the squad that season? He was worst Goalkeeper - Calderwood signed some horrendous players  

I was going to say! I still have nightmares about his diving header own goal in the 4-3 win at Inverness.

It's close between Bossu and Collin on the worst goalkeeper front, but I think the latter would shade it for me. Maybe a bit of recency bias there, though. Thinking of some of the imposters we have had between the sticks in the twenty-first century just makes me even more thankful to have someone as good as Lewis for the time being. 

having 2008 Dons as one of the worst sides in living memory, holy jesus mate. 

Finishing bottom under Skovdahl

Finishing second bottom under Pele Paterson

Craig Brown's 0-0 wonders

Kerr and McDonald in Calderwood's team the season after

Mark. Fucking. McGhee. 

The best European  nights at Pittodrie in my memory happened in that season. Aye it wasn't often pretty, and aye it wasn't sensational domestically, but ending up 4th, behind the bigot bros and Romanov's Hearts, and the Euro exploits, were really decent achievements. 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I stand by everything I said! Unlikely to be out for the season.

I didn’t say he would be. I said if it was a bad one he would be out of the season. Looks likely it will be a couple of months, at least, anyway so it was hardly a ‘wind up’.

On 04/12/2018 at 10:10, Dons_1988 said:

Poorest in living memory?

Hardly.  We reached the last 32 of the UEFA cup even if league form was inconsistent.

Nothing on the horror show that was Mark Mcghee's team.

Alex 'Fuckin' Miller!  

I win! (rocking back and forth whilst crying emoji).  

How he managed to get so little from that squad still amazes me to this day!

Dishonorable (non-Dingus) mentions for;

God, who made a right rickets of the '95 season (five at the back anyone)!

Roy Aitken (the following season) for being, well, you know, Roy Aitken!

Pele for, you know, for doing exactly what all us fans were doing just to help us make it through a Saturday afternoon watching his team! (the very definition of a vicious circle).

I'll be forever grateful to the mahogany-h*n, he made us competitive again!

Yours, in need of therapy... again!

aDONis

P.S. despite '95 being an absolute abomination, it is still one of my favourite seasons!  In my mind the sun was always shining and I discovered that I didn't need to see great flowing football and tons of goals.  Just knowing that we relegated Dundee Utd was reward enough!

Whatever happened to them, you just don't hear much about them? :whistle (they are the very definition of white dog-shyte)!

Edited by aDONisSheep

Today's result further emphasises the desperate need to recruit in January. We are needing a striker and more defensive cover. If we can't keep Lowe till the end of the season, he is going to be bloody hard to replace. 

If our defence wasn't as solid this season, we'd be absolutely fucked. Between McKenna, Devlin and Lewis, they have kept scores down massively this season. If we lose McKenna in the window too, I really fear for us. 

Hopefully our form will encourage McInnes to adopt a different style of football, but i fear that his stubbornness will prevail. We need to change something drastically, and i'm not against that being the manager. 

I think McKenna is our best player and I will be really disappointed to lose him, but I can understand from his perspective why a January move might be appealing at the moment. Devlin will hopefully be back soon, especially as I've never been totally convinced by Considine as a centre-back, but I'm fearing that "Devlin could be in contention for the next one" will be a line we will be hearing for more than a couple of weeks now. 

Our biggest and most pressing problems, however, are at the other end of the pitch. It isn't a good sign that we are in December and there is a case to say that Cosgrove is our least bad senior striker. We do desperately need a better striker, but we also need players that will create chances for him. Mackay-Steven being out exacerbates that lack of guile and creativity, and McGinn's form is even more variable than it has been previously. Whilst I'm all for giving opportunities to the younger players, Wright (who is 21 now) was dreadful against St Johnstone and McLennan is very much a work in progress.

Ball, Shinnie and Ferguson in midfield is very workmanlike, but Ferguson is almost certain to have dips in form because of his age, Ball is limited, and Shinnie isn't having a good season. It just doesn't have a particularly good balance to it, especially against stuffy opposition. So there is a lack of creativity and invention in that part of the pitch, too.

Unfortunately, looking at our recruitment from the last few windows, the fact that fewer players are available in the middle of the season and our scouting network is, um, narrow, our chances of successfully solving these problems in January seem pretty remote. 

Hopefully we can get through December with  a few wins which keeps us in the hunt for European fitba. The January transfer window normally doesn't have the quality players available compared to the start of the season but I hope there is as we really need a creative midfielder first and then a striker. 

Edited by betting competition

The amount of folk that seem to want Wright to get a chance, and then what do we get..................a loon who spent his time on the park hiding, and when he did receive the ball, couldn't get rid of it quickly enough. It was similar last season when he got a start in the Sevco home defeat (when The Rat was red carded for halving May).....dreadful and feart.

Just not impressed at all by Wright - but then I missed the Partick Thistle and St Mirren spectaculars where he apparently excelled.  Maybe it's tough just being thrown in occasionally, but Maclennan looks like he'll handle it.

Ferguson most certainly has coped well for one so young, but rather than McInnes moaning about the 3-games in 6 days - maybe Saturday was a chance to rest him and ask Gleeson to show us what he could bring to the party.

Saturday was the first time since the St Mirren victory in early October that Forrester has been in the matchday squad so I wonder if he's going to be playing more of a role in the coming weeks. Happened to be speaking to a Peterborough United suppporter last week who was initially very impressed by him but said he lost his way a bit after being made captain. I'd like to see him or Gleeson play more of a role soon if only so we can see what they can do. Saturday was a chance for Wright to really stake a claim, but it seems every time he gets a chance he puts in a non-performance. Suspect he's got the rest of the season to pull it out the bag or he'll be getting released come the summer.

The biggest issue, apart from our chronic lack of creativity, is Derek doesn't seem close to knowing his best starting XI and doesn't seem to know what formation to play going forward. I suspect May could possibly be quite effective with a partner but none of our other strikers suit playing alongside him. And I hope we're not contributing much, if anything, towards Wilson. It's hard to believe the sort of money he's allegedly on.

On the positive side our back 5 - when Devlin is fit - is a match for anyone in the league and I hope we can extend Lowe's contract. He's been one of our most effective attacking outlets and has really turned around my opinion on his defensive ability after a slightly shaky start.

Also, we're only six points off Hearts in fourth with two games in hand and some favourable games coming up. Vital we get full points out of the next three fixtures.

COYR

The fixture list for December looks pretty good. I had thought we should be aiming at 15 points but wouldn't be disappointed with 13. In that scenario I had us losing or drawing at Ibrox though and getting at least a draw from St Johnstone. Livi twice, St Mirren and Dundee to come. I know Livingstone are doing better than expected but anything less than wins in those games would be a disappointment. Celtic and Hearts are both tougher prospects, but crucially both are at home. Get the 15 points this month (including the 3 we've already got in the bag) and we should go into the break in a very good position. A tricky but achievable task.

15 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

The fixture list for December looks pretty good. I had thought we should be aiming at 15 points but wouldn't be disappointed with 13. In that scenario I had us losing or drawing at Ibrox though and getting at least a draw from St Johnstone. Livi twice, St Mirren and Dundee to come. I know Livingstone are doing better than expected but anything less than wins in those games would be a disappointment. Celtic and Hearts are both tougher prospects, but crucially both are at home. Get the 15 points this month (including the 3 we've already got in the bag) and we should go into the break in a very good position. A tricky but achievable task.

No way will Aberdeen fail to beat Livi, Dundee or St Mirren.