The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Shankland generally didn't impress in the opportunities he did get for us and suffered a couple of dismal loan spells which suggested that he wasn't going to break into our team and should move on for the sake of his own career. Something has obviously clicked for him at Ayr, and fair play to him for that, but playing well at the top end of the Championship doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to hack it at the top end of the Premiership - and that applies to the other guys, too. 

Shankland generally didn't impress in the opportunities he did get for us and suffered a couple of dismal loan spells which suggested that he wasn't going to break into our team and should move on for the sake of his own career. Something has obviously clicked for him at Ayr, and fair play to him for that, but playing well at the top end of the Championship doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to hack it at the top end of the Premiership - and that applies to the other guys, too. 

This.

It’s very easy to sit and say how much we fucked up with shankland but truth be told he got several first team chances and never looked like he would make it.

That may or may not end up being a mistake but you can’t argue with the decision to release him really.

On 30/11/2018 at 22:23, AFCDannyFTH said:

Watching Ayr pump Dundee Utd tonight was quite satisfying, but frustrating at the same time. 

Laurence Shankland, Daniel Harvie, Robbie Crawford and Michael Rose were all part of our U-20s team that won the league, and you could argue that none of them got a fair chance with us. I appreciate that we are at a higher level, but consistently seeing our kids go elsewhere and doing well is frustrating. The failure to bring through a steady stream of talent has probably been the most disappointing aspect of McInnes' tenure here.

Not a former Aberdeen player. It was Jonny Crawford that played for us.

31 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46386897

That goal against Bayern was a cracker, he never really kicked on from there though. He didn't stand out in one of the poorest Aberdeen sides in living memory. 

Aluko though - :thumbsdown

Poorest in living memory?

Hardly.  We reached the last 32 of the UEFA cup even if league form was inconsistent.

Nothing on the horror show that was Mark Mcghee's team.

31 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I’d hardly say that was one of the poorest sides in living memory 

Average side yes, but I’ve seen far worse in the last 20 years than the 2008 side 

We finished 4th and got through our UEFA Cup group :unsure2:

Beat me to it.

2010 was the worst I can remember. The squad was pretty poor but looking at it there should have been enough to have done better than we did that season. Bottom six quality certainly but looking back it really emphasises how poor McGhee was that he had that team equal bottom of the table.

38 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

2010 was the worst I can remember. The squad was pretty poor but looking at it there should have been enough to have done better than we did that season. Bottom six quality certainly but looking back it really emphasises how poor McGhee was that he had that team equal bottom of the table.

I would include the 2003 squad  but the team in 2008 was miles better than quite a few especially as it had Severin, Lovell, Smith, Bus, Nicholson in that squad.

Edited by betting competition

30 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I would include the 2003 squad  but the team in 2008 was miles better than quite a few especially as it had Severin, Lovell, Smith, Bus, Nicholson in that squad.

Wait, are you saying Bus was good or am I horribly misunderstanding your post? :lol:

I thought the 2007-2008 squad was actually pretty good. The absence of Anderson showed but the likes of Smith and Nicholson could walk into pretty much any Aberdeen side I'm old enough to remember.

Whilst the european form that season was good, the league form was horrendous. We got utterly demolished by Celtic on the sunday prior to the draw with Bayern.

How we finished fourth is incredible. McGhee's side was also very poor, but it was a side mainly assembled by Calderwood.