The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Suspect the latter. Been absolutely honking in the limited time he has been given, suggesting poor performance at training and even worse attitude.

Given the vast majority of our team have produced plenty of “absolutely honking” minutes so far this season - even some of our more lauded players, then have we really seen enough of Forrester to write him off as a dud?

I suspect a fall out with our thraan manager may be behind this one.

On 31/10/2018 at 13:36, Fide said:

Is this Aberdeen code talk for "no one knows"?

yes. We borrowed a chelsea (?- i think) song back in the mists of time and it stuck. 

Or it's secret doric illuminati code and i'm trying to throw you off the scent. You decide.

Given the vast majority of our team have produced plenty of “absolutely honking” minutes so far this season - even some of our more lauded players, then have we really seen enough of Forrester to write him off as a dud?

I suspect a fall out with our thraan manager may be behind this one.
Perhaps not but truthfully there is a reason he's been written off after so few minutes on the park. His attitude has been awful in the few minutes he has played and perceptions are tough to change.

Whether that is fair on the lad, probably not but ultimately there's no point carrying one of our larger wages (I'd guess) for someone who isn't going to play. So shift him on and try to improve in that position.

10 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

His attitude has been awful in the few minutes he has played and perceptions are tough to change.

Hmmm........not sure where that puts the 30K-a-week moper up front.  I'm sure that "shot" on Sunday was just his way of asking to me removed.

So we're through the first round of games (yes I know we still need to play Livi) so my thoughts on the season so far.

Overall - 5.5/10 I would say.

Performances generally been pretty poor but results have been surprisingly ok given the way we've been playing.  Cup final, not "too" bad a league position and the effort against Burnley was admirable.

Positives:

- Results despite the performances

- McKenna/Devlin looks like a great centre back pairing in the making

- Lewis Ferguson has been a brilliant find especially for his age

- GMS finding a decent consistency of form this season

- Bruce Anderson looks like he is almost ready to play regularly and looks a proper goal threat. 

Negatives...:

- The fullback problem - This to me is where we seem most vulnerable defensively.  Logan is having an uncharacteristically bad season so far, Considine has his limitations at fullback.  Lowe looks like he could be a decent find however he's only here until January as it stands.  The game against Rangers at Hampden hammered this home for me, they looked dangerous in wide areas and neither Logan or Considine were coping very well.  We were slightly fortunate that the final ball was so poor.

- The midfield problem - This is the biggest issue we've had so far this season for me and was epitomised at Killie on Sunday.  I think the failure (so far) of Gleeson and Forrester is key to this.  They were signed as a Jack/Mclean type players respectively and both have failed miserably so far.  It means we're very disjointed transitioning from defence to attack. 

Ball/Shinnie are effective at breaking up play, Shinnie can provide energy and drive on the ball but neither provide very much quality either at retaining possession or creatively. Ferguson could do this in future but I don't think he's quite there yet.  What we see instead is rather aimless balls either out wide or up to the front man, none of whom are really effective target men at all.  The result is being overly reliant on someone picking up the second ball and gaining a bit of space that way.  It's awful to watch and hasn't resulted in us creating a lot of chances.  Gleeson/Forrester either need to step up or they need moved on so we can find players who can do the Jack/Mclean roles/

- The front three problem - Our biggest creative threat is our two wide men in MCginn and GMS, but none of our strikers really thrive off balls into the box, so again we're disjointed in the final third.  Bruce Anderson may be a solution to this, his goal on Sunday shows what having someone with a bit of instinct in the box can do off of GMS and Mcginn's work in wider areas.  Mcinnes doesn't seem to rate Anderson's hold up play based on Sunday's comments which would suggest he's not planning to start him regularly anytime soon.  I'm not 100% comfortable with us going 4-4-2 to accommodate Anderson as I don't think we're strong enough in midfield to play with two out and out wingers and only the two in central midfield, especially if one is Dominic Ball. 

Not sure what the answer is here, over to you Derek.

January could be a big window for Mcinnes although I am slightly concerned that December could break our season before we get the chance, it will be a very big month.

I don't think we're a million miles away from being a decent team, sorting out that midfield will go along way to seeing us back to our best.