LIFE & STYLE

SCOTLAND NOW

IN YOUR AREA

BUSINESS

TRAVEL

Update Cookie Settings

SPORT

Aberdeen and Motherwell ready to do battle in bid to sign Alexander McQueen

Former Tottenham Hotspur kid is a free agent and Derek McInnes has spoken of his desire to strengthen at full-back.

BY RECORD SPORT ONLINE

20:09, 20 JUL 2018UPDATED20:10, 20 JUL 2018

Alexander McQueen came through the ranks at Tottenham

Aberdeen and Motherwell are preparing to do battle to land former Tottenham Hotspur defender Alexander McQueen.
Ex-Spurs starlet McQueen, 23, is on both clubs' shortlist after starring in the Finnish Premier Division with VPS.

McQueen was signed for Spurs at the age of 18 and played 33 times for the under-21's before moving to Carlisle United where he played 25 times in England's fourth tier.
The lightning-quick full-back also has a full international cap for Grenada.

Albeit a friendly (it's a friendly for both teams), we more than matched up there. Actually became a better game as both teams brought on subs. The difference being their subs involved Robson-Kanu and Burke, whilst ours were Campbell and Nowak...I'm feeling a bit more positive.

The transfer window has been shit so far, but we're basing that view on things such as:

• May being sub-par
  • Cosgrove only being good at holding the ball up
  • Wright being too lightweight and never getting a chance
  • No half decent left back
  • Forrester, Gleeson, and Ferguson being complete unknowns

On the basis of competing very well against a EPL/Championship team, we could try to look at it more positively. How would the squad look if:

• May hits his former levels
  • Cosgrove adds goals to his game
  • Wright builds on that performance and drives at defenders (like Fraser did)
  • Shinnie plays left back
  • Forrester, Gleeson, and especially Ferguson are all very good

Then we don't necessarily look as bad. Granted, we still need signings, but personally, I'm nowhere near as glum as I have been for the past two weeks.

Positives:

• I expected Ferguson to either be stuck in the U20s or go out on loan this season, but, on that evidence, he will be competing for a regular role in the first team; an intelligent, dynamic and energetic performance, and he is more physically imposing than his age would suggest.
  • Forrester is clearly a technically gifted player, although I fear that he will suffer some 'treatment' against more agricultural opposition. 
  • Shinnie, playing at left-back, was impressive both defensively and offensively, especially in the first half.
  • Cosgrove took his goal very well, and he showed instances of genuinely intelligent movement and other decent forward play. He is not the finished article, but he is definitely capable of being a useful squad option this season. 
  • McKenna was typically McKenna. Just a good, solid, no-nonsense performance, especially as the game wore on. Saw off Robson-Kanu when he started getting wide, too. 

Negatives (of sorts):

• I didn't think Devlin was very impressive, but he is just returning from a long-term injury, so I understand that he needs time. He will obviously be rusty after such a long period on the sidelines; I'd be lying, however, if I said I wasn't a little bit concerned about him going into competitive - and likely frantic, fast-paced - games against Burnley and Rangers.
  • Wright didn't play particularly well, although he did pick up a knock in the first half. He will be turning 21 next month, so a big year for him to prove that he has what it takes to make a proper breakthrough. Better decision-making required, for a start. 

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Positives:

• I expected Ferguson to either be stuck in the U20s or go out on loan this season, but, on that evidence, he will be competing for a regular role in the first team; an intelligent, dynamic and energetic performance, and he is more physically imposing than his age would suggest.
  • Forrester is clearly a technically gifted player, although I fear that he will suffer some 'treatment' against more agricultural opposition. 
  • Shinnie, playing at left-back, was impressive both defensively and offensively, especially in the first half.
  • Cosgrove took his goal very well, and he showed instances of genuinely intelligent movement and other decent forward play. He is not the finished article, but he is definitely capable of being a useful squad option this season. 
  • McKenna was typically McKenna. Just a good, solid, no-nonsense performance, especially as the game wore on. Saw off Robson-Kanu when he started getting wide, too. 

Negatives (of sorts):

• I didn't think Devlin was very impressive, but he is just returning from a long-term injury, so I understand that he needs time. He will obviously be rusty after such a long period on the sidelines; I'd be lying, however, if I said I wasn't a little bit concerned about him going into competitive - and likely frantic, fast-paced - games against Burnley and Rangers.

Wright didn't play particularly well, although he did pick up a knock in the first half. He will be turning 21 next month, so a big year for him to prove that he has what it takes to make a proper breakthrough. Better decision-making required, for a start.

Totally agree with the positives.

I actually missed the WBA goal as I was replenishing my glass, so not sure whether Devlin played a role in that. I must say though, on the balance of play I witnessed, I couldn't pick out anything which made me think less of Devlin. I thought he was solid defensively (albeit untested), and cautious/wasteful with the ball, but no more so than McKenna. In fact, on the evidence of that game, it looks like an exceptionally strong defence...especially if we can keep Shinniesta there. Additionally, how good was Shinbaws up against Burke...!?!

Wright struggled on the right wing against Gibbs, but we have to remember, Gibbs is one of the proper EPL level players they have. He looked good when he started to come inside, and float across their back line. No doubt the lad has a long way to go, but he's got the ability imo.

Edited by Illgresi

41 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Totally agree with the positives.

I actually missed the WBA goal as I was replenishing my glass, so not sure whether Devlin played a role in that. I must say though, on the balance of play I witnessed, I couldn't pick out anything which made me think less of Devlin. I thought he was solid defensively (albeit untested), and cautious/wasteful with the ball, but no more so than McKenna. In fact, on the evidence of that game, it looks like an exceptionally strong defence...especially if we can keep Shinniesta there. Additionally, how good was Shinbaws up against Burke...!?!

Wright struggled on the right wing against Gibbs, but we have to remember, Gibbs is one of the proper EPL level players they have. He looked good when he started to come inside, and float across their back line. No doubt the lad has a long way to go, but he's got the ability imo.

It's very possible that I'm guilty of scrutinising Devlin more closely than McKenna, especially as I was making a particular effort to watch those I hadn't seen before (for Aberdeen). I would have to see the goal again, but my initial impression was that he was too easily beaten in the air by Rodriguez in the build up. I didn't think he was great with the ball at his feet, either; I'm happy to attribute that to rustiness, though. I wouldn't be as concerned about him if we didn't have Burnley just around the corner, but we don't have another right-footed option available at centre-back. I suppose, if necessary, that Considine could fill in there if Shinnie is at left-back. 

Wright was up against a good player in Gibbs, but I think many of the same frustrations arise regardless of the quality of the opposing full-back, especially regarding his decision-making. It is certainly an aspect of his game that has to improve in the coming season, otherwise he will continue to struggle to seriously threaten McGinn or Mackay-Steven's place in the team. 

Edited by DrewDon

46 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It's very possible that I'm guilty of scrutinising Devlin more closely than McKenna, especially as I was making a particular effort to watch those I hadn't seen before (for Aberdeen). I would have to see the goal again, but my initial impression was that he was too easily beaten in the air by Rodriguez in the build up. I didn't think he was great with the ball at his feet, either; I'm happy to attribute that to rustiness, though. I wouldn't be as concerned about him if we didn't have Burnley just around the corner, but we don't have another right-footed option available at centre-back. I suppose, if necessary, that Considine could fill in there if Shinnie is at left-back. 

Wright was up against a good player in Gibbs, but I think many of the same frustrations arise regardless of the quality of the opposing full-back, especially regarding his decision-making. It is certainly an aspect of his game that has to improve in the coming season, otherwise he will continue to struggle to seriously threaten McGinn or Mackay-Steven's place in the team. 

Absolutely, I totally understand your scrutinising the new players, as was I. I think we need to do so though, relative to existing players. That said, there's worse things than a centre back who can defend, but can't play (even though I don't believe that to be the case). The worst thing is a centre back that thinks he can play (#ambrose).

Game intelligence isn't always inate, it comes mostly with game time. Some lads have it naturally, like Ferguson (it would seem), some don't. Wright has real quality, and with games I have no doubt he'll be a top player.

well decent workout and  time to forget the players that have  left and be impressed with the players that have arrived.     .Every one looked  good and    cosgrove up front once again showed he will be an asset...Shinnie at left back please stay there ..totally more balanced down that side....  we get two more quality signings    and we will have right go again this season...  Forrester looks like he will be a big player ...   as for Ferguson he is not here to sit on our bench... 3 times i have seen him now and has been great every game... aye only a friendly but even the greeting c***s in our support can see the signings are good quality .

Edited by logie skid boys

Guest Bob Mahelp

Thought it was a decent workout, with several players standing out.....GMS looked good, McKenna strong, and as pointed out we're all pleasantly surprised at how strong, quick and impressive Ferguson looks. 

On the negative side it's glaringly obvious that we are woefully short up front. There's Cosgrove and May, and then nobody. 

If that's till the case come next Thursday then I suspect that 0-0 is the best we can hope for. 

Still, there are positive signs. But the proof will be in the pudding (or over the next 2 weeks).

39 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

think hes hoping for championship team come in for him   ...a quality finisher be great arriving this week

you assume they've done their homework and know Marquis is open to a move but always a chance our interest flushing out others with more dough. We'll see.

Looks like they are looking into both moult and marquis so hopefully we have one starting v Burnley

1 minute ago, d31 said:

you assume they've done their homework and know Marquis is open to a move but always a chance our interest flushing out others with more dough. We'll see.

Looks like they are looking into both moult and marquis so hopefully we have one starting v Burnley

aye your right we must have got some encouragement regards Marquis but Mcinnes did say his interest ended    ..maybe the Rooney cash has changed things again.     Moult is one i think will be more chance of getting  .there fans nae impressed with him and hes certainly not first pick and he wont cost as much ...

Moult has been handed the number 9 shirt at Preston for this season. Not sure if you can look too much into that but it would suggest they see him as potentially being their main striker.

Plus I'd be absolutely devastated if he signed for another Scottish club [emoji12].

Decent game, enjoy watching on RedTV.

Other than the goal our defence was solid enough, too many WBA players free in the box, even with a fantastic save from Joe, nothing he could do about the rebound.

Midfield looked good, at times the movement and passing was very good and the new guys have fitted it very well.

Cosgrove done well as the one striker, took his goal very well and on this performance has shown he can be an assist to the team going forward.

I think given the squad we already have, we should easily finish in top 4, this is not enough though. I think we still need 5 players to have a real good go this season.

Striker to replace and improve on Rooney, should be good enough to be a starter

Winger who can push current guys for starting place

Cen Defender as cover

Right back as cover

Goalkeeper as cover

5 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Moult has been handed the number 9 shirt at Preston for this season. Not sure if you can look too much into that but it would suggest they see him as potentially being their main striker.

Plus I'd be absolutely devastated if he signed for another Scottish club emoji12.png.

Moult starting for Preston in their pre-season game against West Ham btw.

DioYRVCX0AEkdnO.jpg

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Plus I'd be absolutely devastated if he signed for another Scottish club emoji12.png.

It's hilarious sensing the desperation of Motherwell fans on here at the thought of their ex-hero coming to Aberdeen (however unlikely it is).

Is their some kind of alarm goes off with you guys whenever the word 'Moult' is mentioned on this thread ?

Or do you just monitor it daily in a cold sweat ?

Edited by Bob Mahelp

I see from Birmingham City’s website, that Greg Stewart doesn’t feature in this season’s squad. I would take him back, although not sure that he would come having had limited game time. 

Stewart didn’t do nearly enough last season.