The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I'm firmly in the happy clapper situation when it comes to McInnes but alarm bells are ringing with the Rooney situation. May has not impressed me thus far and whilst I think Cosgrove has something it's clear one thing he doesn't have is an eye for goal, the thing Rooney very much does have. Unless we've a proven replacement coming in this one really concerns me.

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

McInnes is perhaps looking for a striker who can score goals and contribute to the team beyond that - if anything I reckon he should’ve done this before now.

In fairness to McInnes, I'd imagine he thought that May would tick both of those boxes. Unfortunately, it hasn't quite worked out like that - yet, anyway. 

I don't think Rooney has looked nearly as much of a goal threat over the past couple of seasons as he did previously. Of course, people will argue that the service hasn't been there - it is true to an extent, but, if anything, that just strengthens the case for a more rounded striker than Rooney. Indeed, you could even say that he has never really recovered from the injury he sustained in the second half of the 2015/16 season. 

If he does move, be it to Salford or elsewhere, it will be with my best wishes - he has been good for Aberdeen, Aberdeen has been good for him, and he seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Sometimes your head has to rule your heart, though, and whilst I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to keeping him as a squad option for next season, this might well be the correct time for a parting of ways.

20 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

In fairness to McInnes, I'd imagine he thought that May would tick both of those boxes. Unfortunately, it hasn't quite worked out like that - yet, anyway. 

I don't think Rooney has looked nearly as much of a goal threat over the past couple of seasons as he did previously. Of course, people will argue that the service hasn't been there - it is true to an extent, but, if anything, that just strengthens the case for a more rounded striker than Rooney. Indeed, you could even say that he has never really recovered from the injury he sustained in the second half of the 2015/16 season. 

If he does move, be it to Salford or elsewhere, it will be with my best wishes - he has been good for Aberdeen, Aberdeen has been good for him, and he seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Sometimes your head has to rule your heart, though, and whilst I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to keeping him as a squad option for next season, this might well be the correct time for a parting of ways.

aye agree with that ...

8 hours ago, anotherchance said:

McInnes is perhaps looking for a striker who can score goals and contribute to the team beyond that - if anything I reckon he should’ve done this before now.

A goalscorer is a very rare commodity.  I think our last proper finisher was Stavrum. Trying to find one at our level is quite tricky.

Trying to find someone who can regularly get 20 a season and play a bit is even trickier.

I'm sure it's occurred to management that such a player would be a good thing. Trying to find, sign and pay that player is a bit harder. 

If there is anywhere on the park that all round ability is inessential, it's up front. 

I ask please no laughing at the back for today's rumour:

Dons trying to get Phil Foden from Man City

Please don't let on that we train in public parks and have to walk/drive from Pittodrie

54 minutes ago, d31 said:

I ask please no laughing at the back for today's rumour:

Dons trying to get Phil Foden from Man City

Please don't let on that we train in public parks and have to walk/drive from Pittodrie

maddison and woodward loans showed it  clearly does them good  .  i would expect another Maddison type loan to arrive .. will it be Foden  ... we will see ...i am sure today at cove we will learn more about this and Rooney going or staying

FFS Foden is the hope of the next England generation. They were talking on Talksport last night about him for nearly an hour.

The most ridiculous “rumour” I’ve ever heard [emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

FFS Foden is the hope of the next England generation. They were talking on Talksport last night about him for nearly an hour.

The most ridiculous “rumour” I’ve ever heard emoji23.pngemoji23.png

aye that's exactly where I am but thought it was unfair to keep it to myself 

Just now, d31 said:

done deal for Rooney to move on.

Bring on the signings this week... surely

Rumours on twitter suggest you've got two loanees lined up, both under 23.