The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

This. He’s excellent if you are patient enough. I’m gutted that he’s leaving, but not remotely surprised.

For god’s sake, play him, Aberdeen.

Also, a really decent human being.

I really hope he stays in Scotland.

Interesting comments. He's certainly got a reasonable goal and assist record. Does he only play up front in the 4-2-3-1 or can he fill in wide?

Interesting comments. He's certainly got a reasonable goal and assist record. Does he only play up front in the 4-2-3-1 or can he fill in wide?

He can’t really play up top alone, and hates playing on the wing - although he finished the season playing in an inside right position.

Best as a second striker, or as a ten in a midfield diamond. He’s not a back-to-goal forward.

Interesting - not straight forward he'd fit DM's rigid formation then

Haven’t seen enough of Aberdeen’s lineups to comment, but he’s a very clever player. I’d imagine he’d be able to fit in to most systems.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Haven’t seen enough of Aberdeen’s lineups to comment, but he’s a very clever player. I’d imagine he’d be able to fit in to most systems.

Sounds promising then. See what happens - Groningen interested too

1 hour ago, d31 said:

some Sunderland fan on the twitter claiming its only between Sunderland and Dons and claiming SAFC have offered him a wage which 'could be' as high as £8k/week 

Not sure why he’s taking so long to sign if that’s the case

We can’t get near £8,000/week 

we certainly cant match it but we can still offer a decent wage and huge relative signing on fee. what do you think our wage range is currently? keeping in mind weve offered to make DM highest paid.

personally i think we'll miss out but we should be telling him he's better than League 1. Sign on for Hibs/Dons with a release clause for premier league or championship club

3 hours ago, d31 said:

personally i think we'll miss out but we should be telling him he's better than League 1. Sign on for Hibs/Dons with a release clause for premier league or championship club

That's pretty much along the same lines I was thinking. I figure he'll stay with Hibs with a gentleman's agreement that he'll be allowed to go if a decent club comes in with a good offer.

Exactly this. McKenna was thrown in out of necessity, rather than choice. 
During his tenure, McInnes has brought through McKenna. That’s it.
Meanwhile, he has signed - 
Calvin Zola, Callum Morris, Alan Tate, Chidi Nwakali, Joeseph Parker, Nicky Maynard, Miles Storey, Adam Collin, Joe Nuttall, Donervon Daniels, Andrew Driver and David Goodwillie.
A horrific waste of jerseys/money.
To counter, I will add that the signings of -
Logan, Rooney,  McLean, Shinnie,  Lewis, Church,  Stockley, Christie, Stewart, GMS
- were good ones and improved the team/squad.
Surely, surely there’s at least one more of our youth players that could fit into our team. Surely.

Can people stop saying McKenna was put in ‘out of necessity’.

He wasn’t, the manager chose to give him his chance after the existing pairing was underperforming. This is how many young players get a chance.

His record of bringing through youth is not great but quite why so many seem to want to remove any credit the one time he actually did it baffles me.

Ryan Jack, Ryan Fraser and Scott McKenna all got their break "out of necessity" but they all grabbed that opportunity and made themselves first picks.

Wright did that in the Partick game at the end of 16/17 but didn't really make the most of his chances this season, given how average Stewart, McGinn and GMS were for big stretches of the season we can only assume that Wright didn't impress in training either.

Guest Bob Mahelp
35 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Ryan Jack, Ryan Fraser and Scott McKenna all got their break "out of necessity" but they all grabbed that opportunity and made themselves first picks.

Wright did that in the Partick game at the end of 16/17 but didn't really make the most of his chances this season, given how average Stewart, McGinn and GMS were for big stretches of the season we can only assume that Wright didn't impress in training either.

I tend to agree with this.

If every game was against Plastic Whistle then Scott Wright would be a 30 goal a season man, and a regular for both the Dons and Scotland.

But every game isn't, and he's not. He was given plenty of chances at the beginning of last season, but his impact on games was underwhelming.

It's no surprise that McInnes would choose GMS over Wright every single time. You'd be mad not to.

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

Was promised in the DNA sales pitch. Dangerous game to not follow through if it ends not the case

No it wasn't. Maintained, not increased. Also, it was the 'football budget*' as a whole, rather than first team wage bill - loads of wiggle room.

*It's a fucking football club.