The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Overall how would you rate Christie this season? Unless Ozzie tams away in the summer I can't see him getting in the team. Having said that Roberts wont be back, Musonda may be getting recalled as well.

I got the feeling he really didn't care too much towards the end of the season. Last season he played with a real intensity and that, coupled with his obvious natural talent, was a great proposition. He really lost that this year and although still a decent player, he really fucked me off as it looked like he wasn't playing for the team anymore. Constantly trying flicks and tricks, shooting when he should be passing. I'd imagine he'd head down south for a bit. 

Christie is no where near good enough for Celtic. I'd be surprised if he is not moved on in the last week or two of the transfer window regardless of Roberts/Musonda moving on.

Overall how would you rate Christie this season? Unless Ozzie tams away in the summer I can't see him getting in the team. Having said that Roberts wont be back, Musonda may be getting recalled as well.

For the first 2 months of the season he was MOTM almost every game. Then his form just tapered off and he turned into, for me at least, our most infuriating player who McInnes just refused to drop through Q1.

Christie has some talent as seen early in the season but he quite rightly found himself no more than a squad player after the league split. In his current form he won’t get near your team. He is a bit of a headless chicken, plays with his head down, runs down dead ends, always wants/needs one touch too many, and tries to do everything himself rather than pick a pass.

Christie has many plus points obviously. Ability wise best player in our team.

But.

Form has been poor.
Extremely petulant and moody.
Greedy at times and decision making questionable.
Likes a dive. Refs have figured this out.
Prone to needless tackles and so many times you can see him running 40 yards, wasting energy, looking like he’s going to put a Red Card tackle in.

To sum up. Will never make it as a Celtic regular or be in a Champions League XI.

Could shine for us and but would grudge paying over the odds for him.

Aberdeen under McInnes are at our best when everybody plays for the team. That was demonstrated yesterday. Even our best players over recent seasons - Hayes, McLean, Shinnie - have been fundamentally team players, rather than individuals. Perhaps it's harsh, but I'm not sure I can say the same of Christie, especially this season. Maybe this is one of the reasons we improved when Maddison left last season, despite clearly being an extremely talented individual player. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Based on the last three months of the season I wouldn't rate him as good enough for Aberdeen never mind Celtic.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

Based on the last three months of the season I wouldn't rate him as good enough for Aberdeen never mind Celtic.

Maybe a bit harsh.

He's a (relative) youngster who's been trying desperately hard to make an impact ....too hard sometimes.  

It was good to see him celebrating with the Dons players at the end of the game yesterday, and I think he's enjoyed his time at Pittodrie. It would be nice to keep him permanently, but I doubt if Celtic will want to let him go. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I think he's suffered slightly from high expectations.

On the whole, I still think he is a terrific player, but not helped by the Pittodrie midden/pitch.

He's not the only one that I think has suffered.  We have the following attacking options... May, Rooney, McGinn, GMS, Christie, McLean, Stewart, backed up by Shinnie, Cosgrove, Ball, Maynard etc.  An absolute abundance of talent, but none have quite played to their potential IMHO (Shinnie is the exception).

I'm convinced that our pitch helps make our team look pedestrian at times.

Christie's commanding performance against St Johnstone is one that I'll savour for a long time.  His pass for May's goal was simply astounding on a sticky surface, just perfect.

I'd love to keep him.

Yours

aDONis

P.S. With both McLean and Christie (probably) going, and if I had the chance of picking anyone from another team, I'd pick Mulumbu from Killie.  He is a talent and my player of the year!

Wishful thinking though.

Edited by aDONisSheep

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

O'Connor is a strange player. His form at the start of the season - and the one before - was excellent, and he has had some terrific post-split performances, culminating in a near-flawless showing yesterday. Some of his performances between those highs, however, have been so poor. McInnes obviously rates him and is seemingly keen to keep him. If he does stay, I just hope we never, ever see him in midfield again unless literally all other options have been exhausted. In hindsight, perhaps that constant switching of position, and the fact he is obviously not comfortable in midfield and probably knows that he isn't any good at it, didn't help him much. 

Rogers signing a two-year deal is a strange one. If I was being harsh on him, I'd say it suggests a lack of ambition on his part. Still, at least it means we don't have to go out and recruit a back-up goalkeeper. 

Of the loan signings, hopefully something can be worked out for Ball to arrive on a permanent deal. Stewart perhaps, but only at the right price. 

I reckon we'd see Stewart's potential if he stays another year. no idea how good he could still be. Sure Birmingham would do a deal. Depends whether the management have seen enough. 

Ball won me over, but i don't think there's much better to come from him.  he does bring some balance to a top heavy squad and would be a tidy 2nd choice dm.

I'd like to see us keep both.

Chidi on the other hand, was shite.

How about this for next season?

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Shinnie

McGeouch Mulumbu

Cadden Christie Mackay-Steven

May

Rogers
O'Connor
Considine
Ball
Stewart
Cosgrove
Mallan

Cadden and Christie would cost a fair packet, but it looks like McInnes will have a solid £1m or more purely from AberDNA. The board need to back him with the same again imo. Could see a number of fees paid out this summer.

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Lewis

McGeouch Mulumbu

May

Rogers
O'Connor
Considine
Ball
Stewart
Cosgrove
Mallan

Cadden and Christie would cost a fair packet, but it looks like McInnes will have a solid £1m or more purely from AberDNA. The board need to back him with the same again imo. Could see a number of fees paid out this summer.

McGeouch and Mulumbu is too good to be true ie never going to happen

Think Cadden's price would be over the odds.

McGinn and Reynolds will be in the 18

7 hours ago, d31 said:

McGeouch and Mulumbu is too good to be true ie never going to happen

Think Cadden's price would be over the odds.

McGinn and Reynolds will be in the 18

I reckon Cadden's stock has fallen a fair bit since the January window and of the three he would be most likely.  we could really use an out and out winger too.

High hopes that a youngster can break through to regular games again.  A bit concerned that wright dropped out if the picture. 

Anyone know how Frank Ross' loan went?

Lewis
McGeouch Mulumbu
May

Rogers
O'Connor
Considine
Ball
Stewart
Cosgrove
Mallan

No danger mcinnes will have £1m to spend unless we make a significant sale I.e. McKenna.

I don’t know the numbers but I know I asked for my money to go into youth develop in any case.

In any case, mcgeouch and mulumbu’s earning potential lies down south, not at Aberdeen I’m afraid.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No danger mcinnes will have £1m to spend unless we make a significant sale I.e. McKenna.

I don’t know the numbers but I know I asked for my money to go into youth develop in any case.

In any case, mcgeouch and mulumbu’s earning potential lies down south, not at Aberdeen I’m afraid.

Sorry, i didn't mean £1m purely for fees from AberDNA alone, a £1m total budget isn't far off already. Lot of wages being freed up, and i think there's an onus on the board to back him like the fans have done. 

53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

True of Cadden as well tbf. When we laughed Hearts our the room last summer Robinson pointed out that even if he was out of contract we’d be looking at £650k in development fee. Given he’s still under contract it’s fair to say we’d be looking for more than that. Regardless of whether his stock is perceived to have fallen or not I’d think that £650k would be our minimum.

2 cup finals, £1m+ in transfer income along with a league placing 3 spots higher than we budget for in the last year means we’re under no pressure to sell to anyone unless they pony up the cash we’re looking for.

If Cadden’s going anywhere during the summer it’ll be down south IMO. For exactly the same reasons as last summer when Aberdeen were being linked with Moult. Our market for player trading is cross-border not with teams in the same league.

Edited by capt_oats

29 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Daily Record reporting that we are "head of the chasing pack" for Jason Naismith. Would be delighted if we can pull it off, but imagine there will be plenty competition. 

That would be a good signing and keep Logan on his toes. Sadly would make little real difference if we don't sort left back out. 

Edited by Illgresi