The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Well done to Aberdeen clinching second place in what has been the real competition this season.  Securing their first victory at Celtic Park since October 2004, ending a run of 25 straight league defeats at that ground.

Derek McInnes deserves a lot of respect for what he has managed to achieve over the course of the last 5 seasons.

mcinnes.jpg

Dons fans didn’t seem to be very bothered with getting second after managing that feat 3 seasons running. I think they will have changed their minds now, to do it in the fashion that they did. It must feel very good knowing they went down to Glasgow and got a result at Celtic Park that Rangers are so desperate to get themselves - and solidify their place as Scotland’s second force.

A nine point gap isn’t huge so this is good progress from Aberdeen considering the Celtic side we are having to contend with these days. You look at the gap when Celtic were so poor under Ronny. If this Aberdeen side had existed those days they might have won the league, so I think it shows how far they’ve come.

Kenny McLean will be very difficult to replace. What a player he has been. Hopefully Aberdeen can recruit well in the summer and make a push for that glorious place in the Europa League group stages.

7 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Kenny McLean will be very difficult to replace. What a player he has been.

He'd never really impressed me much although having seen Aberdeen a few times in the second half of this season I would agree that alongside Shinnie he's been a standout.

9 points flatters us.

Celtic have scored a barrowload more goals than us and conceded a load less, and even yesterday, we had to give up a huge amount of possession and rode our luck at times.

New Rangers are also a formidable side going forward, but need to learn how to defend.  Tavernier goes AWOL far too often and he was captain yesterday.

McLean will be a big miss and I don't think we'll be able to replace him with an alternative, rather we'll need to work out a new gameplan to compensate.  That said, and if I'm being honest, there were times at the start of the season where I was getting frustrated with him, and his insistance at trying to ping 40 yard wonder-balls.

Stewart is certainly fitter now than when he arrived, maybe we can do a deal to keep him longer.

All in all, I'm amazed that we finished second, I don't think we've played that well, so what do I know.

Yours, pleased as fvk.

aDONis

I was disappointed but not massively concerned about McLean's departure in January, but his form in the second half of the season has been excellent - he finishes the season, in my opinion and admittedly through red-tinted glasses, as the best midfielder in Scotland.

The post-split midfield tripartite of Ball, Shinnie and McLean had a really nice balance to it, and it was a pivotal factor in going unbeaten in that time. I now wouldn't be opposed to offering Ball a permanent contract, even if he isn't a guaranteed starter every week. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Utterly bizzare.

Hardly turned in a memorable performance (aside from Hibs at Pittodrie), slated from start to finish by awbody and their gran, yet up till 3 games ago could feasibly have won the league and finished the season off on an impressive high.

Pumped out of the cups in 2 hopeless performances, yet arguably the most impressive league performance under McInnes, especially given the depth of Celtic and the strength of Rangers, Hibs and Killie.

It was like, weird man.

O'Connor is a strange player. His form at the start of the season - and the one before - was excellent, and he has had some terrific post-split performances, culminating in a near-flawless showing yesterday. Some of his performances between those highs, however, have been so poor. McInnes obviously rates him and is seemingly keen to keep him. If he does stay, I just hope we never, ever see him in midfield again unless literally all other options have been exhausted. In hindsight, perhaps that constant switching of position, and the fact he is obviously not comfortable in midfield and probably knows that he isn't any good at it, didn't help him much. 

Rogers signing a two-year deal is a strange one. If I was being harsh on him, I'd say it suggests a lack of ambition on his part. Still, at least it means we don't have to go out and recruit a back-up goalkeeper. 

Of the loan signings, hopefully something can be worked out for Ball to arrive on a permanent deal. Stewart perhaps, but only at the right price.