The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think it really is too soon for folk to be declaring what our best XI looks like, especially considering the number of regulars we have been forced to replace over a relatively short period of time. 

I hope and believe that Árnason will be a good signing and will improve our defence, but we haven't even seen him play a single minute in this team yet. As for the players who made their competitive debuts on Thursday, it is too early to judge how they will perform given time: Mackay-Steven had promising moments but struggled for an end product, Tansey had a strong first half but a more subdued second, Maynard didn't make a big impression but didn't have long, and Stewart had some nice touches.

As for the old-timers, they will also require time to adjust to their new teammates. It is too early to start calling for Considine to be dropped, for example. Considine was excellent last season, but he will have to adjust to not having Hayes and McGinn's defensive efforts to call upon. He had a decent first half on Thursday, but struggled when he was more exposed in the second. He, like other players, will need time to adjust to the summer additions - and that will require some patience from the fans.

I don't think it is tbh. Considine was good in most games last season, but when he's up against better teams he's exposed for his lack of pace and technique. I wouldn't be averse to giving him a chance at centre back alongside Arnason, because he's a top lad, but he simply doesn't have the ability as a left back to help us progress.

We simply cannot afford to keep playing him at left back. He was partly at fault for the Siroki Brijeg goal by being hopelessly out of position, and we'll find ourselves out of Europe sooner rather than later if we don't address the issues with the team. In fairness though, it was clear that most of the team were off the pace, and I'm sure we'll see a much sharper performance on Thursday night from everyone.

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I don't think it is tbh. Considine was good in most games last season, but when he's up against better teams he's exposed for his lack of pace and technique. I wouldn't be averse to giving him a chance at centre back alongside Arnason, because he's a top lad, but he simply doesn't have the ability as a left back to help us progress.

We simply cannot afford to keep playing him at left back. He was partly at fault for the Siroki Brijeg goal by being hopelessly out of position, and we'll find ourselves out of Europe sooner rather than later if we don't address the issues with the team. In fairness though, it was clear that most of the team were off the pace, and I'm sure we'll see a much sharper performance on Thursday night from everyone.

He undoubtedly had a poor second half on Thursday and didn't cover himself in glory at Siroki's goal, but I think it's a bit too strong to say that we simply can't afford to have him at left-back. I'm also not sure there is a better option available to us at the moment - moving Shinnie deprives us of a very good midfielder (although I acknowledge that we have options to cover there), and having Considine at left-back arguably offers a better balance to the defence anyway.

McInnes seems to think very highly of Harvie, so he might well get a chance to prove himself in the not-too-distant future. 

I think Hayes absence will amplify Considines limitations. The defensive work Jonny put in was very good and his pace gave Considine excellent cover. I like Considine but Thursday was perhaps a worrying look ahead to the future. Hope I'm wrong and it was just first game rustiness.

Tbf, on Thursday GMS didn't look like someone who will shirk his defensive responsibilities so hopefully Considine won't be exposed too much

He's not a like for like replacement for Hayes but he's probably about as close as we could've got 

16 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I think what this has shown is that there is a massive section of our support who still don't trust Considine, despite his development in last few seasons. The minute he has one poor game, folk are calling for him to be replaced. 

I'm sure there are many who feel that way, but as I've said, I'm perfectly comfortable with Considine playing against most league teams. You're correct, he has improved, and almost at the pace of the team's improvement. He's a top Don, of course, but we're simply outgrowing him now. I said the same about willo a few seasons ago, and people were up in arms at the suggestion. Then he's punted at the end of the season...

Of course, I'm not suggesting Considine gets punted; if anything we should want him to finish his career here given what a good servant he's been. It shouldn't be to the detriment of the team though, and we need to be actively seeking a replacement imo.

Another injury prone striker linked today.

20 yo ex-Middlesboro wonderkid Junior Mondal.

1 appearance last season, but Boro had high hopes for him after impressing in the Championship the season before.

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Did Motherwell tweet last night they'd accepted a bid from us and then subsequently remove it?

That's the word on the street...

Pretty sure that's a wind up

4 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Did Motherwell tweet last night they'd accepted a bid from us and then subsequently remove it?

No, just the 200th fake twitter thing involving AFC this summer.

Lasley on Sportsound yesterday was possibly a wee bit more of a giveaway that this remains a potential move that will still happen.

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

No. No they didn't. In all seriousness the amount of folk desperate to be mugged off with that sort of patter is unbelievable. I'd imagine it's these folk who actually hand over their bank details to that Nigerian prince who keeps emailing people.

A guy posted 2 clearly faked tweets and claimed they had been posted and removed. Reality is they never existed. They'd just been generated on Twitterino and screenshots posted. They were fake, much in the same way as the below is fake.

fake-tweet20170701-9-74b9ww.jpg

Fyvie would have been Scotland's world class midfielder to take us to the World Cup, had butcher Lasley not ruined his career with that thuggish tackle. The way he was in those early games, you could tell he was special. He was never the same player afterwards. 

PS, Durrant dived.