Static caravans

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My in-laws also have one. Ploughed a chunk of their redundancy / retirement money into a brand new one and it was the bollocks about 10yrs ago.

Nice site but must cost about £2k a year in fees, the site set the gas and electrical rates, they wanted decking and had to get it done by the site, they had to get the paint for the decking from the site and are not allowed to stay overnight Mon-Fri in the months of Nov and Feb if I recall correctly

Their neighbours on the site decided recently that they wanted to move their van to another site. Seemingly had to pay the existing site £7.5k to have it moved off the site and transferred down the Ayrshire coast from Argyll

Best advice. Read the small print and be prepared to lose all control over your investment / holiday home

You can buy a decent one for around the £7,000 mark, insurance is around £300 and site fees around £2,000. Try and get a campsite that doesn't do rentals. You get some fucking scumbags on the cheap deals

I shagged in a static caravan once, a long time ago now, in Stonehaven.

It wasn't very static, the earth might not have moved for the girl but every other fucking thing did although I was much more enthusiastic and energetic than I am these days.

Neighbours were cheering.

I had to live in one for 6 weeks one, hated it, it was in someone's back garden in the Highlands, cheap, but not cheerful.

Ion ly did it because I had to

• 1 month later...

We are off for a couple days in caravan this weekend, borrowed from a family member. Question - he says the gas heater only lights by holding gas down and manually lighting it with a match or a spark lighter. Is this safe?

It probably doesn't have piezo ignition, so yes.

You will only be lighting the pilot light, once the thermocouple heats up(generates micro voltage) the main burner will ignite.

I own a Static Caravan at Portpatrick, it is on a good site with reasonable site fees and no hidden costs, watch out for the ones that advertise low site fees then hit you with lots of other add-on costs later in the season. The secret is to shop around and ask plenty of questions at each site you visit, you can normally work put the rougues.

Ask the following:

1) Is there a limit to how long you can keep the van on the site, as has been previously posted some sites have a time limit on the age of the van

2) Find out the facilities on the site, do you want a pool, bar, activities etc. Some sites will have nothing, others basic facilities, some will have the works. Check if using the facilities incurs additional costs, one site near Dunbar has a two tier site fee, one includes use of the pool, gym etc the other doesn't.

3) Check if rates are included, some sites roll everything up, some charge them separately and this is where you can get ripped off as you don't know how much the council charge, this is how some sites appear to charge lower site fees, they make it up by quietly adding a percentage onto the rates.

4) Check Gas and electricity costs, these vary widely, some sites have piped gas but most still use bottled gas and make it a rule that you must buy from them at an inflated price

5) You will always need insurance, mine costs £100, bought online, buying through the site will cost you considerably more

Provides you make the most of it, we are down every weekend during the summer plus out two week holidays, it is cost effective. Avoid the Haven sites, the site fees are astronomical and the caravans over priced, they will try to tempt you with a deal whereby you buy the van then they rent your caravan and give you a cut of the rental, which on paper may make it more affordable, but in effect you get such limited use of the van that you would be better off renting a van yourself.

up the hill on left hand side ? thurston manor ?

I own a Static Caravan at Portpatrick, it is on a good site with reasonable site fees and no hidden costs, watch out for the ones that advertise low site fees then hit you with lots of other add-on costs later in the season. The secret is to shop around and ask plenty of questions at each site you visit, you can normally work put the rougues.

Ask the following:

1) Is there a limit to how long you can keep the van on the site, as has been previously posted some sites have a time limit on the age of the van

2) Find out the facilities on the site, do you want a pool, bar, activities etc. Some sites will have nothing, others basic facilities, some will have the works. Check if using the facilities incurs additional costs, one site near Dunbar has a two tier site fee, one includes use of the pool, gym etc the other doesn't.

3) Check if rates are included, some sites roll everything up, some charge them separately and this is where you can get ripped off as you don't know how much the council charge, this is how some sites appear to charge lower site fees, they make it up by quietly adding a percentage onto the rates.

4) Check Gas and electricity costs, these vary widely, some sites have piped gas but most still use bottled gas and make it a rule that you must buy from them at an inflated price

5) You will always need insurance, mine costs £100, bought online, buying through the site will cost you considerably more

Provides you make the most of it, we are down every weekend during the summer plus out two week holidays, it is cost effective. Avoid the Haven sites, the site fees are astronomical and the caravans over priced, they will try to tempt you with a deal whereby you buy the van then they rent your caravan and give you a cut of the rental, which on paper may make it more affordable, but in effect you get such limited use of the van that you would be better off renting a van yourself.

i stayed in one of those 5 star ones and the bedroom was en suite.it was dead handy in the middle of the night but not so good in the morning when you had to empty the bottle.

ps.you ever tried shitting in a bottle? :o

Archived