Actually pretty gutted that I can't make it this year. What's wrong with me?

:lol:

I don't get the negativity, tbh.

Tomorrow's my fourth Renfrewshire Cup Final in a row - the last 2 at Paisley were cracking affairs.

It can be whatever you want it to be, a friendly with an extra edge or a full-blown derby showdown.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always quite enjoy it too, it's a friendly with an extra edge. it's certainly not played as a competitive derby showdown as the league cup tie between us a few years ago was, but it's more interesting and has a bit more to it than our other friendlies.

Oh and, it's a beautiful trophy :wub:

I always quite enjoy it too, it's a friendly with an extra edge. it's certainly not played as a competitive derby showdown as the league cup tie between us a few years ago was, but it's more interesting and has a bit more to it than our other friendlies.

Oh and, it's a beautiful trophy :wub:

Although, interestingly, the crowd at that LC tie (5k) was only about 500 more than at the Renfrewshire Cup Final the previous month (4.5k).

As a neutral, I enjoy it for the nostalgia of the tournament, and as I prefer something competitive over friendlies.

For all you stattophiles, there is a full-ish record of the Renfrewshire Cup since 1878 HERE.

Most of the dates are noted although the period since the 1970s is a bit messy as you'd expect. The latter years are mainly thanks to Stewart Davidson's indespensible SNLR, the excellent latest edition OUT NOW.

All additional info and corrections are always welcome!

Great to see that on SFHA.

1939-40
Semi final
25 Mar Morton v Babcock & Wilcox 0-1 (abandoned after 83 mins)
3 May Babcock & Wilcox v Morton 1-2 (at Paisley)

Seems highly convenient :lol:.

What caused the abandonment?

If its pissing down like the forecast says, then it's the main stand for me and my son. The thought of standing in the WDE through a possible 90 mins and maybe extra time and pens soaked doesn't appeal to me.

Always enjoy the trip down the water but not so much the wee ned types, who attach themselves to both clubs for the occasion.

I liked the combo of Marwood and Caldwell the other night, and it will be good to see them in a more competitive outing.

Although, interestingly, the crowd at that LC tie (5k) was only about 500 more than at the Renfrewshire Cup Final the previous month (4.5k).

As a neutral, I enjoy it for the nostalgia of the tournament, and as I prefer something competitive over friendlies.

The League Cup game was a Tuesday night which may explain why there wasn't that big a crowd. I had to miss it because of that so that's one extra person to start with :P

If its pissing down like the forecast says, then it's the main stand for me and my son. The thought of standing in the WDE through a possible 90 mins and maybe extra time and pens soaked doesn't appeal to me. Always enjoy the trip down the water but not so much the wee ned types, who attach themselves to both clubs for the occasion. I liked the combo of Marwood and Caldwell the other night, and it will be good to see them in a more competitive outing.

In derbies in the 1990s my dad hated going in the cowshed so him, my brother and I would always (with one exception) watch from the WDE. If the weather was shite (which it usually is considering it's Greenock) we put plastic bags on the seats, took some brollies and wore our golf waterproofs. On at least one occasion there were sod all other folk in that bit - the folk standing in the cowshed must have thought we were mad.

EDIT: Now that I think about it we nearly always sat in Carter's Corner at Love Street until that bit closed, which provided similar soakings. Not quite sure of the logic of that one, guessing my dad was/is just tight :lol:

Been roped into going to this one now.

Will be a good test for us, want to see how Marwood and Caldwell fair up. Barrowman has been about for a while , think he can test our trialist and Plummer.

Just delighted we'll be able to see McLean in a saints shirt again, even if it is a howling one.

Full time:

Morton 0-1 St Mirren

1st half was a bit dull but picked up after the break. Game was even-ish, both keepers made decent saves but always felt we were the more likely and that we deserved the win.

The goal when it came was good one, an over lap from Wylde on the left and a good cut back which evaded everyone and fell to our right back Jason Naismith at the far post, who finished first time with aplomb.

Still not convinced by the big defender from Livi and thought Yaqub had a poor game at left back. Thought Kenny and John had decent games in the middle but they miss the enforcement of Goodwin. Our best player was Naismith I felt, and he took his goal excellently. Quite amusing to note that plenty Morton fans on here had written him off after his loan spell down there.

Early days for us and we are still rusty, but there's definitely promising signs there. Marwood and Caldwell look promising and they had nice touches, particularly a great bit of skill by Marwood in the second half. Both will be able deputies for Thommo when he returns. Hoping for a step up in performance in our 3 games in England.

That was a good game, we were without doubt the better side in the first half, St Mirren probably shaded the second. Miller, Crighton, Milojevic and Russell were outstanding for us, Kenny McLean and Greg Wylde were the only Saints players that stood out, McGinn was very poor. Kello pulled off a wonderful save to deny McKee after superb play by McNeil.

Decent game, we were better in first half, St Mirren edged the second though, Miller was absolutely incredible, as was Crighton apart from the mistake which luckily didn't amount to anything, I'm happy with the squad Duffy has put together so far, although McCluskey suffering a dislocated shoulder probably means we'll see another striker come in.

2 strikers, and 2 wide players and if there is funds available, a centre mid would be good as well especially if Bachirou is off.

Fred's off? Haven't heard about that, where to?

Archived