Clyde Fc 2014-15

After what we've saw of the squad this season, what are your predictions or expectations of next season?

Since we are keeping the majority of the starting 11 with:

Barclay, McGhee, McQueen, Fergie, Sweeney, McColm, Daly all staying and possibly more where do we need to strengthen?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the squad, players signed up for the 2014/15 season are;

GK: Barclay, Rajovic

DEF: McQueen, Marsh, McGhee

MID: Sweeney, Ferguson, McColm

ATT: Daly

Out of contract players I'd be happy to keep: Gray, Frances, MacDonald, McKinnon, Capuano, Janczyk, McCluskey and Watt.

I'd reluctantly let go of Pat Scullion and Gary Graham, and not-so-reluctantly turf out Coyne and Macbeth.

How has Graham done at EKFC? If he's done well no point in getting rid of him

I really don't know, but I think I possibly read somewhere that he's into double figures, goal wise. I like Graham and in an ideal world I wouldn't get rid of him or Scullion. But if we're releasing players to free up some wages then I just get the impression that those four will be amongst the players JD will sacrifice

As C. Muir said, MacDonald said on Twitter last night that he's effectively away but I'm confident that we have an adequate replacement in McKinnon. I know that Stef refused to sign a new contract earlier in the season so again, there is a chance that he'll be off.

Personally, I'd offer Coyne pre-season and offer him a contract if he seems fit enough/good enough. However, as much as I want Bradley to do well, if he's constantly injured there's no point in him taking up a wage.

Apart from that, I'd offer everyone new terms, bar MacBeth. I feel sorry for him and the only reason I wouldn't offer him terms is because let's be honest... He just isn't going to be by the looks of things. Scullion is a player I'd keep. He's a cult-hero, legend of the sausage supper and conquerer of diddy club Elgin. Seriously though, Pat can still put in a shift and he's a useful player who can play in a number of positions. I'd also be tempted to keep Graham as he looked like he may have a bit of promise.

In terms of strengthening the squad, I think we could strengthen the midfield. Re-signing Janczyk could alleviate this slightly but I think depth in that area is key. Particularly down the flanks, if MacDonald is indeed away, we lack some depth on the wings and this will only be worsened if McCluskey is away.

I'd also like to see us strengthen up-front, again particularly if McCluskey is away. Daly has shown that he can do a good job as a target man but by Christ, we lack a proven goal scorer at this level. Unfortunately, 20+ goals a season strikers are not all that easy to come by, nor are the typically cheap so I'll leave that in the hands of Lord and Saviour, Mr Jim Duffy.

After the Spectacular last year and the Extravaganza the year before, this years thread title is so anticlimactic. Yes, the other nine clubs have similar thread titles but - let's be honest here - we're not like the nine other clubs :2cool

I agree. Use your imagination and get this changed, clyde_darren.

As for the squad, players signed up for the 2014/15 season are;

GK: Barclay, Rajovic

DEF: McQueen, Marsh, McGhee

MID: Sweeney, Ferguson, McColm

ATT: Daly

Out of contract players I'd be happy to keep: Gray, Frances, MacDonald, McKinnon, Capuano, Janczyk, McCluskey and Watt.

I'd reluctantly let go of Pat Scullion and Gary Graham, and not-so-reluctantly turf out Coyne and Macbeth.

It looks like you've mistakenly put Pat Scullion in your list of players to go. I thought I'd let you know so you can edit your post and move him to the list of players to keep. You're welcome.

I spotted Marc McCusker in the executive seats at the Albion Rovers game a fortnight ago, I wonder...

MacDonald looks to be on his way and to be honest I don't think he'll be that big a miss. Would likely be a big earner if he signs a new deal, and I think McKinnon is a lot more solid and consistent left-back. I'd keep the other players you mention (plus Pat, obvs). I wonder if Coyne and MacBeth will be offered pre-season after their injury/illness, and could we see Michael Oliver again? He was there last pre-season before doing his cruciate again. Not sure what the make of the EKFC 4. They don't have much stats on their website so difficult to tell how each player is doing individually.

For the first time in years we're in a position of strength. No place for sentimentality or irrational decisions; we need to take advantage of the strong core we already have signed up and look to add better quality.

The absolute priority is a mobile, passing midfielder. Janczyk and Capuano both have their strengths but that's where we should be making our big signing of the summer. Especially if MacDonald goes (and I think he would benefit greatly from going full-time), I don't see us finding a similar player, so we'll need to carry more of a threat centrally.

Another centre forward who can lead the line on their own and is perhaps more mobile than Daly would be next. Not necessarily a replacement but someone who, unlike Watt, has a clear attribute to worry defenders.

We also need to either retain McCluskey or find another player who will fill what has arguably been the most important role in our team this season. His touch would probably put off suiters at Championship level but I could see a League One team having a punt on him. I don't think he's had enough credit this campaign and I can guarantee he'd be a big loss.

Gray, Watt, Scullion, Coyne, MacBeth all don't fit into the way we've been played over the last season. Either Capuano or Janczyk can go as well.

Would offer new contracts to Frances and McKinnon which would see us sorted for the defence.

Agree with everyone above centre midfield is were we really need to strength. If both MacDonald and McCluskey are away then somebody who can play out on either wing when McColm or Fergie are missing is a must as well. Pretty much all our threat and goals came from the wide positions this season.

Would keep Janczyk, he can't run but is two footed, composed on the ball and his deadball delivery is excellent. I would be tempted to keep Gray for his versatility he can play almost anywhere at the back and complete a similar role to Capuano in midfield. I would release Capuano he is ok defensively but offers no attacking threat.

Scullion has played a large part of the season up front and has scored one tap-in against Elgin. He can't jump and is slow and ponderous in midfield. I'm afraid sausage supper has to go if we want out this league.

Watt I would keep if McCluskey goes and depending on who else we bring in. He isn't the best but will score at least 10 goals a season and am not sure who we could realistically expected to bring in. The Watt song is clearly a number one single waiting to happen too.

Macbeth never got off the bench when he was fit and Coyne has been injured for nearly two years now so would get rid of both.

Would assume we have already released the dross we sent out on loan McGachie, Fitzharris and Dickie.

If I remember right we have first option on the players who went to EK this season. Daw seems to have popped up with a number of goals for them not sure where they played him. Graham I think got into double figures before getting injured and Bronsky places in defence which we already have sorted.

Mostly decent and fair shouts, quite clearly you don't need to assemble a great team to.win this league, just consistent and reliable players. We're perhaps only slightly more attractive proposition for other league2 players now that we're no ponger getting pumped every week, as at the end of the day money still talks. Where i think we could benefit is Duffy's little black book being exploited to get players from clubs/agents who previously wouldnt give us them due to thrir player likely wasting away in a team bottom of the pile. On top of the signed players, i d retain Frances, McKinnon, Janczyk, McCluskey and Watt, giving us a full starting eleven, and the latter two primarily because i dont think we'll get anyone better in those positions. Strengthen with another 2/3 defenders, a better version of Capuano, an experienced wide player to help Fergie through what may be a hard season to top, and an alternative target man to challenge Daly, just for when things go wrong.

Barry Russell - best left back in the league 110% everygame loves a tackle and will put his head in were it hurts can be reckless at times but tht is jst his commitment to the cause still in shock hes been let go by Albion

Peter Innes - great central midfielder good on the ball, great eye 4 a pass doesnt mind taking ball under pressure, loves getting stuck in like Barry ... All depends on how fit he gets himself over the summer but with a good pre season in him he would be a great addition.

Gary Phillips - great attacking left mid, can beat a man and put a great ball in always works 100% going foward and back, can be inconsistant but if he wasnt he woodnt be playing in this league.

Archived