Partick Thistle General Chatter: 2014/15

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently at the POTY night Higgy has won pretty much all of the player of the year awards apart from the Jags Trust 1 (Gallacher) and the Jagscast 1 (Doolan).

Glad it's not the usual clean sweep. Last season when Balatoni won all the awards was a bit shit on the likes of Erskine.

I'm still not sure Beatties reasoning. Bar the old firm nobody will bring a big enough attendance to really justify the switch of stand. The main stand has a higher attendance as well which makes no sense business wise.

Bemused, the players and Archie have both said the North Stand was instrumental in winning the league last season, regardless of our home form this season the north stand has bought us a lot of plaudits about the atmosphere at Firhill, nothing else but a step backwards it would seem in taking the club to the next level. A crafty move by Beattie, with no games left this season there is no strong ways of the fans voicing the opinions on the matter. Social media being the next best thing however there are going to be fans against the move not on social media and not able to protest.

So the board want Firhill to revert to the scintillating atmosphere pre the North Stand singing section....you know, the one where you could hear a crisp packet hit the ground. Absolutely unbelievable and they have lost a season ticket here if it's not reversed. Pay at the gate for me, from now on. Just when you think things can't get much better at your football club, along comes the board to give you a right boot in the nuts.

Disgraceful decision by the board. I hope we have enough support to fight it. Only this club could so quickly and effectively put a dampener on the kind of feelgood factor we were all experiencing after Wednesday night in Edinburgh.

I think particularly after that interview with Beattie on STV regarding improvements in match day experience (including appointing someone to oversee this) this news is quite incredible. I hope we as fans are able to present a united front on this because the thought of going back to the Firhill of 3 years ago is not something anyone will want. Talking to JHS regulars who haven't set foot in NS but are as shocked and saddened by the news as any NS regular.

There was a rumour I heard that it was for only one year to allow Main Stand renovation but not sure if ther is any truth is in that

It's a shocking decision. It's so bad it made me not only visit wearethistle, but even bloody post on it.

Before the North stand move going to Firhill was a chore and away games were much more fun. I went to the North Stand for the Falkirk game to try it out and haven't been back in the JH since. The NS is good enough to make me want to go to games by myself, and good enough to have me leaving games we've lost still having enjoyed myself.

If we can't be in the NS next season I genuinely don't think I'll go to many, if any, games next season - it's just not worth £20 to sit on my arse by myself, usually freezing, in a stand with no atmosphere. The NS is the best thing to happen to Thistle in my lifetime and I can't understand why the board would willingly ruin it.

Will be writing a letter of complaint on Monday but, knowing Beattie, don't expect any change in decision. I'd encourage all fans feeling similar to do the same though and make him realise that the only sensible business strategy for the club is to keep the home fans happy.

There was a rumour I heard that it was for only one year to allow Main Stand renovation but not sure if ther is any truth is in that

I'd heard the opposite. Well, not quite the opposite, but that the North Stand fans were going to be expected to move to the Main Stand if they wanted to continue the singing/standing section. Obviously that wouldn't be possible if it was being renovated.

I'm a pessimist naturally, but I think if it was a reason as simple as that, they'd have simply told the OneThistle representatives at the time.

Hmm ... nothing like ruining a good vibe by annoying the fans/customers. I am at a loss to understand why fans are being moved from the north stand to the main stand as opposed to the Jackie Husband Stand.

Given the main stand's age, expensive safety issues and the club's policy of using it as overflow, I don't see the reasoning. Perhaps there are pressures from the city or the police. A simple statement would help. It might not placate fans but it's better than silence.

We've been have a rare old time this season and that's set aside a lot of tricky questions about the future of Firhill itself. After all, half the stadium is owned by a property development company. What's happening there?

We are told the property company saved the club from going under five years ago. Five years on, the people who run the property company and the club - which has a half share in the property ergo the same decision makers - might have something of interest to tell us. I for one would be interested to know if Billy Allan's Europa business does indeed list a holding in Thistle as an 'asset'.

Hearing about it at half-time really put a dampener on the day, and ended the season on a sour note.

I really don't know what they're trying to achieve with it. Beattie in his interview the other day talked about improving the match-day expereince, but for who? The away fans? The main stand is a dump but most away fans this season only had to be there 2/3 times a season, we now need to go there every game.

Many people have talked about not renewing STs already, so the board have essentially driven away and alienated a section of the support, wtf are they trying to do? I have a North Stand ST and it feels like getting stabbed in the back.

Whilst I only go to the North Stand on the rare occasion, I do like what it adds.

I suppose the footballs been better the last couple of years, which helps somewhat, but the year or two before the move happened the atmosphere was absolutely depressing at Firhill, infact it had been getting steadily worse year upon year until the point it really couldn't get any poorer. The climax of that for me was a Scottish Cup game against Queen of the South where in addition to losing a dreadful game, there was one stand open, no atmosphere and the life had just been absolutely sucked out of the place.

When it comes to crunching the numbers, Beattie has done a decent enough job, but his PR is as bad as the previous regime, possibly worse which takes some doing.

I've said before but I don't see how the club can survive long term at this level. The grounds a mess at two sides (under the other two stands isn't much better), we're still struggling to get a lot of casual fans back after years of dross and bad management, we don't have a training base, we don't have enough revenue streams outwith matchdays. Getting the debt down is one thing, actually making us sustainable in this league is another. Compare our setup to St. Mirren's or St. Johnstone's or County's. Its tinpot. Our club shop actually has to be the most pathetic for any so called professional club in Britain. Infact you could say that on two counts, the size of the one at Firhill and the other located in the retail hub of Port Dundas ffs.

A great shame if this decision is final. I think we've led the way over the last two years as an example of a club maximising on match day experience. We are a small club with a small fanbase in what is quite a large stadium. Despite that, we've managed to put a decent amount of fans into two stands, which not only contributed an enormous deal to the atmosphere of games but also combatted a great deal against the white elephant feel of the stadium (even with that massive patch of mud STILL stinking out the south end).

There is a great deal of momentum behind the club just now, not just in terms of performances and league placing, but also in terms of our fanbase expanding: 4000 home fans attended what was essentially a very low-stakes game with Ross County - who'd have envisioned that 3 years ago? Quite why the board want to disrupt that and bring an end to what has been one of their most popular decisions is truly bizarre - not only does it make them come across as complete b*****ds (when Beattie's own reputation seemed sky-high after saying how far he was backing the manager in the transfer window), but it also makes zero business sense at all to me.

I go into the North stand but even with this I will still be renewing my season ticket.

Beattie isn't going to budge on the matter so by renewing or not will mean whether or not Archie has a better budget for keeping guys like Taylor.

Apparently Maxwell was at the Firhill cup today and said if enough people refuse to renew their season ticket then the decision will be reviewed.Was going to renew mine anyway but think I'll leave it for now and see how it all develops.

A great shame if this decision is final. I think we've led the way over the last two years as an example of a club maximising on match day experience. We are a small club with a small fanbase in what is quite a large stadium. Despite that, we've managed to put a decent amount of fans into two stands, which not only contributed an enormous deal to the atmosphere of games but also combatted a great deal against the white elephant feel of the stadium (even with that massive patch of mud STILL stinking out the south end).

There is a great deal of momentum behind the club just now, not just in terms of performances and league placing, but also in terms of our fanbase expanding: 4000 home fans attended what was essentially a very low-stakes game with Ross County - who'd have envisioned that 3 years ago? Quite why the board want to disrupt that and bring an end to what has been one of their most popular decisions is truly bizarre - not only does it make them come across as complete b*****ds (when Beattie's own reputation seemed sky-high after saying how far he was backing the manager in the transfer window), but it also makes zero business sense at all to me.

Good post, imo. The worry I have is this decision fueled by other business interests within the board i.e. Propco? I'm not renewing my season ticket despite Monday seeing the sart of renewals.

I could accept a temporary switch if it was due to upgrading of the main stand but I doubt that is the case.

Archived