Partick Thistle General Chatter: 2014/15

So from the Club's statement, the Thistle fans that currently sit in the North Stand are being moved without any consultation because 1 or 2 games per season causes unrest and unhappiness for them when they are asked to move temporarily to accommodate a large travelling support.
And also because the manager & coaches sitting in the dug-out feel they are at an away game because they can't hear any Thistle fans shouting from behind them. The masses of red and yellow sitting directly opposite in the Jackie Husband Stand and to the left in the North Stand are apparently invisible.
Really?
Ok, not playing devils advocate anymore, they are just being silly now. :1eye

Not only that but also moving the fans to sections 6 and 7 of the main stand so they aren't behind the home dugout but at the far side and closer to the away dugout than anything.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole issue is really disappointing. I am never a proponent of boycotting I think another solution should be looked at. P45 is correct in saying that all this will have is a massive negative effect on the playing staff and management team, not on the board.

We all were praising the board especially Beattie a week ago (which I think is justified) and to be honest almost everything they are doing with the new money for the academy, the community trust and outreach in the local areas to increase the fan base I think are fantastic. However this seating issue is detracting from a great last 2-3 years of change and positive direction.

We want the Jags as Archie has been describing this week to become a long term SPFL team like ICT, St Johnstone and St Mirren. This move from fans is not the correct one.

One reason, and I completely understand the massive dislike of catering to the old firm as I like many of you I can't stand them, they are a major revenue source, bring 3 times as many supporters and it is the sad nature of the dynamics of the Scottish game and to top that they are thugs and a royal pain in the arse.

I know many will disagree with me, but I see where the board and management are coming from. They need to look at the next year or two and prepare for the changes that are more than likely coming. I mean let's face it, Rangers will be back it's inevitable. They have a massive support and it's unlikely the mess will continue. The board are not being arrogant or showing egos. They have to make decisions and they are explaining them unlike what is going on over the Clyde with the noisy 3rd team in Glasgow.

The singing and vocal fans should go where they prefer but sometimes we have to sacrifice a little to help the club and continue the great support as they succeed. Why not enter some civil dialogue with the board and ask the right questions and get answers? Compromise!? It doesn't make sense to just give an ultimatum. We're not like that as a club and spitting the dummy at a board who are miles superior than what we have had in the past doesn't make sense.

If this is the major issue we face it's a whole lot better than what others are and we should not knee jerk reaction.

Hopefully this can get sorted quickly so all are happy. I hope folks don't have a go at me, as seems to happen when you break the status quo as we all love the Jags and want to see them win.

Mon the Jags!

The very last line of that pathetic statement:
"Remember, it’s the fans that make the atmosphere – not where they sit in the stadium."

So why did you move us to the North Stand in the first place? What a bunch of clowns.

This whole issue is really disappointing. I am never a proponent of boycotting I think another solution should be looked at. P45 is correct in saying that all this will have is a massive negative effect on the playing staff and management team, not on the board.

We all were praising the board especially Beattie a week ago (which I think is justified) and to be honest almost everything they are doing with the new money for the academy, the community trust and outreach in the local areas to increase the fan base I think are fantastic. However this seating issue is detracting from a great last 2-3 years of change and positive direction.

We want the Jags as Archie has been describing this week to become a long term SPFL team like ICT, St Johnstone and St Mirren. This move from fans is not the correct one.

One reason, and I completely understand the massive dislike of catering to the old firm as I like many of you I can't stand them, they are a major revenue source, bring 3 times as many supporters and it is the sad nature of the dynamics of the Scottish game and to top that they are thugs and a royal pain in the arse.

I know many will disagree with me, but I see where the board and management are coming from. They need to look at the next year or two and prepare for the changes that are more than likely coming. I mean let's face it, Rangers will be back it's inevitable. They have a massive support and it's unlikely the mess will continue. The board are not being arrogant or showing egos. They have to make decisions and they are explaining them unlike what is going on over the Clyde with the noisy 3rd team in Glasgow.

The singing and vocal fans should go where they prefer but sometimes we have to sacrifice a little to help the club and continue the great support as they succeed. Why not enter some civil dialogue with the board and ask the right questions and get answers? Compromise!? It doesn't make sense to just give an ultimatum. We're not like that as a club and spitting the dummy at a board who are miles superior than what we have had in the past doesn't make sense.

If this is the major issue we face it's a whole lot better than what others are and we should not knee jerk reaction.

Hopefully this can get sorted quickly so all are happy. I hope folks don't have a go at me, as seems to happen when you break the status quo as we all love the Jags and want to see them win.

Mon the Jags!

Next season the likelyhood is we will have one home game against Celtic. So let's just disband everything that has made Firhill such an enjoyable place to watch football in the last two seasons, beca use we have ONE game against Celtic? Let's return to the morgue like atmosphere that haunted the ground 2 years ago. Maybe they are after sponsorship from the Co-Op Funeral Care, because that's what it's gonna be like next season and the season after and the season after. As for civil dialogue, this board don't do that. Their attitude is ...it's our club and we will do what we like with it. If you don't like it....tough! I had £600 set aside for my season tickets this week. It will stay in the bank and unless we get a u turn it will pay for me and my son to go to a game in Germany, Italy or Spain next season.

Mon the Jags!

As others have said, though - it wasn't all that long ago that going to watch football at Firhill was an absolute chore because of a lack of noise from fans.

I'm PATG, normally, and I sit in the JHS, but I like to be as near the NS (on a roll with the acronyms, baby!) as possible. Without it I can see the ground being a bit of a dead husk of a thing, apart from noise from away fans.

It's a real shame as well, because it seemed like the number of fans going to the North Stand was growing pretty steadily. But no, we can't have nice things.

Regarding Rangers - they're still in the Championship ffs! They might not see out next season, we might go down and miss playing them (not necessarily a bad thing in isolation) Edit: Why is us playing Rangers and Celtic any sort of link to us having to give up the North Stand? Genuinely struggle to see the reason, other than vague mentions of "Progress!"

Fair enough, you're entitled to your view - I think I'll still go and PATG for the first one or two home games next season to at least give it a chance, but if we're back to the Firhill of 2-3 years ago then I doubt I'll be back anytime soon - would rather save for away days tbh. Vivid memories of a game where all I can remember is being more entertained by some birds congregating on the Thistle turf for a few minutes than the match (think that was under McCall, can't even mind the opponents), and without the North Stand to liven things up I can see it being similarly grim going next year.

Even *I* see the big deal.

The excuse on the website about the dug-out feeling like they're away from home is nonsense. I think it's more important for a team to shoot towards a goal with its team's supporters behind it. Having an away support behind the goal - and no-one behind the other goal - will have more of an 'away' feeling for a team than the current set-up.

That's why Raith Rovers always try to shoot into their end in the second half, why Ross County always try to shoot towards the Jailend and is part of the reason why County shifted away fans from behind the goal and into the corner of another stand in their last two home matches.

On another note - have County switched all away fans to that new bit? Or are bigger supports like Celtic, ICT and Aberdeen still gonna be behind the goal?

Why not next season just have the Celtic game PATG and allow STs for a cup game to make up for it. They say shifting us is the only option but it really isn't.

I believe Dave J actually suggested that to them at the meeting before the County game, and the reply was "we didn't think of that".

This whole thing is actually really embarrassing.

Guy on the thistle forum seems to have gotten an answer back from Maxwell. Basically agreed that communication has been poor and the reaction was underestimated, and it was suggested that a few fans meet with the board to work it out. Seems to be a step in the right direction at least.

Guy on the thistle forum seems to have gotten an answer back from Maxwell. Basically agreed that communication has been poor and the reaction was underestimated, and it was suggested that a few fans meet with the board to work it out. Seems to be a step in the right direction at least.

Read that as well. edit: Thought it was encouraging, reckon they might change their mind yet.

Aiming for 4000 season tickets for next season is a bit of a bridge too far, I think - but someone else said there's nothing wrong with aiming high.

Think the club are just trying to take the easy way out here, although it's fair backfired.

Chances of us playing Celtic at home twice next season: highly unlikely.

Chances of Rangers winning the Championship and us staying in the SPL: 50/50

All this for 1 game against Celtic, that's 1 time the office staff need to organise the move. That's it.

And when they're doing it for that one Celtic game, they can add on the sentence "and by the way it'll be like this for all Old Firm games for the forseeable future".

Easy.

They don't even need to organise much if they prepare for it.

Either

a) On the renewal form have a box to tick where North Stand season ticket holders state a preference for sitting in either the main stand or the JHS when Celtic visit. The office staff then just post a ticket based on said preference rather than calling/emailing like they did the last time.

or

b) Sell North Stand season tickets minus the game v Celtic meaning it's up to the season ticket holder to either buy a ticket or choose not to go.

I've posted a letter to the club, might get ignored just like emails do but thought it was worth a try.

'A few fans'. Aye, that'll be a memorable selection process. 8)

Strange the Maxi would have chosen to phone this guy on the basis of his email, when not one single email has yet had a reply.

Strange that maxi would suggest they got it wrong and need to consult with fans.

He already did that at a meeting with me and Ian Mac, 45 minutes before the last game of the season, to tell us a decision had been made. Ian and I put forward counter arguments, alternative solutions and warned him of the potential uproar. But the decision was made... After months of work by the board... That the north stand reps hadn't been invited to take part in.

Funny that maxi hasn't texted me to say, look, can you and Ian come back up to talk this through again.

Archived