Arbroath close season thread

Nichol was carrying a knock yesterday and was subbed early in the 2nd half.

Linn and McManus played decent football, but Alloa's defence did their job and defended very well.

Can't really use the excuse of Alloa being in a higher league - Brechin, East Fife, Clyde and Stranraer all won yesterday against teams in a higher league.

Hopefully the problems in defence will get sorted soon.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't believe any of that

Thought it was crazy when I heard that but the guys no the type to make up BS.

As for Malcolm and Keddie, as someone has said id take Malcolm back in a heartbeat. Keddie was a bit iffy but I think he is better than Fisher off of what I've seen.

How big would Alloas wage budget be now anyways? Few years in the 1st and another one to come with Hibs/Hearts/Rangers in the same league. Must be quite big?

After thinking about it it'll be better to see what were like when were playing teams at the same level before getting too carried away.

Anyway that's Hunter confirmed as signed, might be worth trying to play him at right back?

He played and started there all last season with Ayr I'm told. Must be decent there, Ayr did alright in the league above. Surely be decent at right back at this level. Not really the biggest fan of him at centre mid anyway.

Interesting he's no signed Fisher yet. Maybe doesn't fancy him.

they were also all good players as well, maybe we will have to offer better wages to get better players to sign for us, board maybe have to loosen the "purse strings" a little

You should try offering a FREE pair o smokies to each player ? LOL . :lol:

How big would Alloas wage budget be now anyways? Few years in the 1st and another one to come with Hibs/Hearts/Rangers in the same league. Must be quite big?

Bigger than Arbroath's I'm sure but it's only our second season in Division 1. Three of that back four actually played for us in the Third Division and the other lad was with another Third Division club that same season. Good players can be found at a decent wage and with time and organisation can be very effective indeed. I'm sure Moore will look to improve your defence as a matter of urgency.

Team for Saturday? From what I've seen in pre season I'd go for:

1 - Crawford

2 - Fisher

3 - Johnstone

4 - Nicoll

5 - Little

6 - Whatley

7 - Linn

8 - Hunter

9 - Murray

10 - McManus

11 - McBride

I think Nicoll has been really struggling so far, and I think he's either still carrying a knock or not yet got close to being fully match fit. He's obviously a good player, but is slow at the best of times, when lacking fitness/ carrying an injury it knocks another yard off him and I think he gets bypassed in the middle of the park too easily when this is the case. With Whatley and Hunter, we would have a lot more pace in the middle of the park, which I also hope would help the defence.

In defence - it's obviously fairly shambolic right now, and Nicoll could do a good job of shoring things up at the back and add a bit of height (ridiculously, considering he's not even that tall!).

Keep him back for later. Murray should have the stamina to chase the Accies defence. Thankless task. McManus as the secret weapon supersub

Id have it the other way about. Mcmanus's experience and work rate to hold the ball up and put some pressure on, murray's pace and trickery late on could cause problems IF we're still in the game

See we have signed Fisher and Keiron Stewart..... :unsure2: Fisher has been OK but he is not the answer to the problems we have at the back, whilst Stewart has been untterly useless in the 2 games I saw him and we now have ANOTHER midfielder on the books....

ETA: Although that could mean Hunter will be regarded as a right back now?

See we have signed Fisher and Keiron Stewart..... :unsure2: Fisher has been OK but he is not the answer to the problems we have at the back, whilst Stewart has been untterly useless in the 2 games I saw him and we now have ANOTHER midfielder on the books....

ETA: Although that could mean Hunter will be regarded as a right back now?

Fisher looked ok, but the Stewart boy really is an uninspiring signing, looked awful in pre season.

Archived