Arbroath close season thread

See we were wanting that James Parejo but he was after too much money, shame that, wouldve been good, must of been asking for a fair whack.

A shame really but hopefully we can find a similar player that fits into our budget tho.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f**k me - Parejo priced himself out of a move to us? :lol: :lol: He won't get a club better than us in Scotland, or if he does he certainly wont get much game time from what I saw. If we had signed him, he wouldn't have justified being paid more than an average squad player in my opinion. When it comes to the competitive stuff week in week out in the league, I couldn't see Parejo doing the running required, or putting himself about at all, and I think he would have really struggled to have any sort of impact.

I think you both know this is clearly not the case. Do either of you really believe that one poor season makes a player 'garbage'? If so - I assume you both think the same of Scotty Morrison, Trav, Ricky Little and a few others who had poor seasons last year?

Chis is a good football player, who has more natural ability than the majority of our current team in my opinion. When you watched him play fantastically week in week out in the 3rd division, did you think he wasn't good enough for this level? That's the only time he's played at this level, and he proved to be superb all year, so I just don't understand how a tried and tested player is suddenly not good enough? :unsure:

I liked the look of Parejo, would of had a good set of strikers with different qualities had he signed. You're right about Chis, was superb for us that 1st season, if you look at our results at the start of the title winning season (1st 9 games or so) then look at them after Chis came in theres a massive turnaround, infact im sure his 1st game was against Clyde, we were struggling and ended up pulling through it 3-2 with Chisholm playing very well. Him and Falky were a great wee duo.

A shame really but hopefully we can find a similar player that fits into our budget tho.

Have a feeling he might come back to us with his tail between his legs to be honest, I mean he must of been after a fair bit! Wonder who he has played for before and what sort of wages they were paying?

I liked the look of Parejo, would of had a good set of strikers with different qualities had he signed. You're right about Chis, was superb for us that 1st season, if you look at our results at the start of the title winning season (1st 9 games or so) then look at them after Chis came in theres a massive turnaround, infact im sure his 1st game was against Clyde, we were struggling and ended up pulling through it 3-2 with Chisholm playing very well. Him and Falky were a great wee duo.

What qualities do you think Parejo has that our other strikers dont?

You're right with regards to Chis - his signing was after our very poor first 9 games in that season, and he seemed to be the missing piece of that team and his signing seemed to really turn our season around. I'm not trying to be a dick here - but I would be very interested to know what 'superlichtie87' and 'redlichtie86' disagree with in my reply to them? As I previously stated, he has proved to be an excellent player at this level, as we all saw week in week out. Not too sure why he is suddenly 'garbage' and his level is one below the level he performed so well at!

What qualities do you think Parejo has that our other strikers dont?

You're right with regards to Chis - his signing was after our very poor first 9 games in that season, and he seemed to be the missing piece of that team and his signing seemed to really turn our season around. I'm not trying to be a dick here - but I would be very interested to know what 'superlichtie87' and 'redlichtie86' disagree with in my reply to them? As I previously stated, he has proved to be an excellent player at this level, as we all saw week in week out. Not too sure why he is suddenly 'garbage' and his level is one below the level he performed so well at!

For me, Murray lightning quick but quite small and fragile, McManus nothing fancy but a proven poacher/goalscorer, Buchan big physical presence and quite raw, Parejo looked a wee bitty slower than Murray but more of a presence, very tricky and good with the ball at his feet, more of a second striker/attacking midfielder type player.

I think you both know this is clearly not the case. Do either of you really believe that one poor season makes a player 'garbage'? If so - I assume you both think the same of Scotty Morrison, Trav, Ricky Little and a few others who had poor seasons last year?

Chis is a good football player, who has more natural ability than the majority of our current team in my opinion. When you watched him play fantastically week in week out in the 3rd division, did you think he wasn't good enough for this level? That's the only time he's played at this level, and he proved to be superb all year, so I just don't understand how a tried and tested player is suddenly not good enough? :unsure:

The problem with Chisholm was that when he came back to us he just wasnt the same player as before. Something just wasnt right with him.

After a great season with us in the Third Division he managed to get a move to Dundee FC. But going by what i have heard and read about his performances whilst with them, he wasnt deemed good enough. Seemed to have made the big time and then slacked off when he got there.

After getting released from Dundee he went to play in Bulgaria but ended up not getting paid and left. We signed him after this and was to be honest a decent signing for us. But he wasnt the same player who had left us just 18 months before.

But when it came to last season and he was made captain, that was his time to step up his game and lead the team. But what we got was a player who didnt defend, attack, tackle or header. Even his passing wasnt up to standard with many wayward passes not reaching the attackers and even passing to players near him was hap hazard at times. Yes the boy did run about and harrass the other team. But a good amount of the time this was due to his poor passing, failing to challenge for headers, not putting the pressure on the other team much earlier. Time and again he would just watch as the other team waltzed past him and attack our goal. He just wasnt up to the job.

His performances last season were that bad that he even got dropped for a number of games. He never even featured in the do or die game against Airdrieonians on the last day of the season. The boy just stormed down the tunnel at the end of the game rather than come out and see the hundreds of fans who had travelled to the game. Yet even Lari Yao who barely featured came and seen the fans. he showed more respect to the fans than the club Captain.

The guy just wasnt good enough last season. And to be honest i dont see what he could have done for us this season. Nicoll looks a much better player than Chisholm ever could aspire to be. Whately looks a decent player. and im sure there are other players out there that will be a better fit in this team than Chisholm would be.

Besides if Chisholm was that good a player at this level, how come no team either in League 1 or 2 signed him? Surely they would be clamouring for an experienced good player at this level. Mabye he just looked good in a good team, but when the going gets tough like last season, he goes AWOL.

The problem with Chisholm was that when he came back to us he just wasnt the same player as before. Something just wasnt right with him.

After a great season with us in the Third Division he managed to get a move to Dundee FC. But going by what i have heard and read about his performances whilst with them, he wasnt deemed good enough. Seemed to have made the big time and then slacked off when he got there.

After getting released from Dundee he went to play in Bulgaria but ended up not getting paid and left. We signed him after this and was to be honest a decent signing for us. But he wasnt the same player who had left us just 18 months before.

But when it came to last season and he was made captain, that was his time to step up his game and lead the team. But what we got was a player who didnt defend, attack, tackle or header. Even his passing wasnt up to standard with many wayward passes not reaching the attackers and even passing to players near him was hap hazard at times. Yes the boy did run about and harrass the other team. But a good amount of the time this was due to his poor passing, failing to challenge for headers, not putting the pressure on the other team much earlier. Time and again he would just watch as the other team waltzed past him and attack our goal. He just wasnt up to the job.

His performances last season were that bad that he even got dropped for a number of games. He never even featured in the do or die game against Airdrieonians on the last day of the season. The boy just stormed down the tunnel at the end of the game rather than come out and see the hundreds of fans who had travelled to the game. Yet even Lari Yao who barely featured came and seen the fans. he showed more respect to the fans than the club Captain.

The guy just wasnt good enough last season. And to be honest i dont see what he could have done for us this season. Nicoll looks a much better player than Chisholm ever could aspire to be. Whately looks a decent player. and im sure there are other players out there that will be a better fit in this team than Chisholm would be.

Besides if Chisholm was that good a player at this level, how come no team either in League 1 or 2 signed him? Surely they would be clamouring for an experienced good player at this level. Mabye he just looked good in a good team, but when the going gets tough like last season, he goes AWOL.

Great post. I do feel that he needs a kick up the arse to become the player he was again.

I think Whatley is going to be a great signing going by what I've heard/read.

Not seen much of him or Johnstone though so will be interesting to see how we start on Saturday.

For me, Murray lightning quick but quite small and fragile, McManus nothing fancy but a proven poacher/goalscorer, Buchan big physical presence and quite raw, Parejo looked a wee bitty slower than Murray but more of a presence, very tricky and good with the ball at his feet, more of a second striker/attacking midfielder type player.

I think 'shagger' (awful, awful nickname by the way!) is an excellent player for us to have, I was delighted when he resigned, as he definitely knows where the goal is and even when the chips are down his workrate never drops. With Simon Murray, although completely unproven at this level, I think his workrate will also be excellent and he has proved at a lower level he can find the net, obviously it remains to be seen if he can do that at this level and only time will tell. I do think Murray will have to do quite a bit of work on his fitness to last 90 minutes though, as the jump in required fitness from that level to this one is a lot bigger than the footballing ability in my opinion and he has seemed to tire quickly in pre season. Buchan is again unproven, but as you say he's a big guy and hopefully he'll have more of a presence than the others, can't really say much more as not much has been seen of him yet. Parejo I felt looked good the ball at his feet, and seemed to have a few tricks and good close control, but I felt in competitive games he wouldn't get a chance to show any of that, as he never put in any sort of physical challenge, never did any real pressing of the ball and didn't look like he'd be able to outpace many players. All of this made me feel he'd easily be knocked off the ball, wouldn't do the running required (if you aren't gonna put a shift in when on trial, when will you?) and simply wouldn't be involved in the game nearly enough.

I agree with quite a lot of that, and the parts I disagree with I can completely understand your opinion on :) This is exactly the sort of reply I was after - I wasn't trying to come across like an argumentative dick, I just wanted to know why you felt Chis wasn't up to it at this level anymore - and I think you make some very points.

I think Chis definitely had to leave the club at the end of last season, as everything had gone rather terribly wrong. His performance levels had dropped massively, the club he was appointed captain of finished bottom of the league and the majority of the fans had turned on him. Unfortunately I don't really think there was a way back from there, and he needed a fresh start while we also needed to change things up fairly drastically.

I do think he could do a good job at this level for another team, just not for us after last season.

Don't think making Chis captain did him any favours, indeed I asked peanut at the Tutties meeting if being captain had affected him but was told that he was proud to be captain and it didn't detract from his playing abilities. Looking at his performances over the season, I think that being captain did affect him and it showed.

Todays papers say we are close to signing Adam Hunter (Ex Rangers and Ayr United), he did play one of the friendlies but in centre midfield, reported in the paper to be a defender as he has been a mainstay there the last 2 seasons for Ayr?

Archived