Arbroath close season thread

Jim Butter has left Mike Cargill back as GK coach. When did they decide to bin u19 only saw news about binning the younger age groups

I saw it on Arbroath mad just after the end of the season, seems a ridiculous decision to only offer 3 members of a team who reached the Scottish Cup semis senior deals.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Youth team had to be disbanded down to some youth scheme the SFA have started this year I read, can't exactly remember why but with the new rules it wasn't feasible. I don't think we should of signed Birse, Adams looked better.

I have very little knowledge of the financial side of this, but I think it's rather interesting to note that while we don't feel we can feasibly have youth teams due to the finances of it, Berwick, Stirling, Cowdenbeath, East Stirling and Forfar all seem to be able to continue as they have been in previous seasons. I would be very interested to know why these clubs are able to continue with their youth teams while we felt we had to disband them, despite our under 19s team being the most exciting youth team/ players to come through since Swankie/ Heenan/ Henslee/ Webster 10/12 years ago.

This was the statement made by Gary Callon regarding the u14s/ u16s at the start of May:

'After considerable deliberation, Arbroath will not be entering youth teams in Club Academy Scotland next season at the under 14 and under 16 age groups. The past few seasons has seen a marked decline in the level of funding provided while the Club have had to continually find more and more to be able to sustain the initiative. It has also become more and more difficult for the Club with its limited resources available to be able to meet the increasing levels of criteria required by the SFA to be accepted into and participate in the initiative over the season with regards to its coaching set up, facilities, medical provision, infrastructure and administration. Last season has also seen funding directed towards the emergence of a regional youth academy of excellence in the Forth Valley area with one now also about to be set up in Fife and an ongoing plan for others to be rolled out across Scotland. For several years, Arbroath have been the only Club in Angus to participate in Club Academy Scotland and it is with great regret that this decision has been made.'

While the above was obviously very disappointing, it is understandable that if the financial side of things didn't weigh up we couldn't justify spending tens of thousands of pounds on training 14/ 15 year olds and cutting the first team budget, I can accept that. However, to not be running with any sort of youth team at under 19 level is incredible to me for a whole host of reasons.

In terms of 'saving money' I think it's a very difficult one to work out. Last season, we were struggling for players at times, and on many occaisions our 18 player squad contained up to 5 players from our youth team. If we were in a similiar position at anypoint - how would we make up the squad? We'd need to be bringing in players from outside the club on a weekly wage, as opposed to using our youth team players who would receive appearence money only. In future seasons if we don't want to be in this situation, we need to have a squad of 20 odd signed players, who all receive a first team wage every week. If we had a youth team, up to the standard of last years, we could afford to have 16 or so signed first team players supplemented by youth team players of the level that last years were.

If, and obviously it's a good way off yet, Scott Adams leaves us, signs for Peterhead and makes their first team squad most weeks in a higher division than ourselves then that's an absolute shambles on our part.

If, and obviously it's a good way off yet, Scott Adams leaves us, signs for Peterhead and makes their first team squad most weeks in a higher division than ourselves then that's an absolute shambles on our part.

Let's not forget that Lenny Wilson is now at Blackburn Rovers on trial. Fair enough if he turned down a deal but if he was actually released then, again, there's no doubt that someone has fucked up.

Let's not forget that Lenny Wilson is now at Blackburn Rovers on trial. Fair enough if he turned down a deal but if he was actually released then, again, there's no doubt that someone has fucked up.

Blackburn!?where'd you see that?

I hadnt realised he was at Arbroath. But back then we had Craig Hinchclife in goals so its no wonder he wanted to leave to join another team at that young age.

But the young players we let go a few months ago could have easily slotted into this seasons squad.

I read today that Dundee are looking to send out teenagers Craig Whighton and Cammy Kerr out to clubs who can guarantee them game time. I don't know much about Cammy Kerr, but I know Craig is a great talent. Perhaps being in the second division may knock out us of contention, but seemingly with the good relationship we have with Dundee, could he be this year's Lee Erwin?

I know we have McManus, Buchan and Murray up front but with Dr Goals really hanging up his boots, we could certainly do with one more up front?

Archived