Arbroath close season thread

When we signed Ricky Little, we were told by Queen's Park fans, who had seen him play in 100 + games, that he should be played at centre back, and was a much poorer player at right back. Obviously he's been injured which has made things very difficult for him, but he has had little opportunity to play at centre half at Gayfield. I think Queen's Park fans, who I will reiterate saw him play 100 + games at this level and saw him get into the team of the year 3 years in a row, are in a far better position to judge his ability in his preferred position than any of us Lichties are. I'm not sure how any Arbroath fan would feel they were in a position to comment on his ability at centre back? What are people judging his ability there on? It can't be his performances, as we have barely seen him in that position..... :unsure: People have made comments on his height etc before, but yet again I would point out that he has proved himself for years in this division, so why would height be an issue for us when it wasn't previously in all the years he performed well at this level?

Don't get me wrong, we're all qualified to judge his performances at right back for Arbroath, and I think everyone will agree he has been very poor since he got back from his injury, and I'm sure the player himself knows his performances would need to improve to be a first team regular this season. However, I think any comments on his ability to perform at centre back by Arbroath fans are extremely unfair, and have absolutely no basis. At this level he is proven to be an excellent centre back, and no-one can disagree with that.

Hear hear Simon!!!

Now gonna stop fannying about in Iceland and start telling me who we are in for like you do every other pre season ya cunto???? ;)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hear hear Simon!!!

Now gonna stop fannying about in Iceland and start telling me who we are in for like you do every other pre season ya cunto???? ;)

Heard a wee rumour we're in for Tony Wallace, source is a bit dodgy though so it could be bollocks..... ;):P

I actually know very little of what's going on at Gayfield currently, I just know we have a lot of trialists currently, of which a good number are foreigners. I believe we have, or had, a Scottish keeper on trial who would be a good enough signing to compete with Scott Morrison, but that's as far as my knowledge goes :lol::(

Hopefully without coming across all 'UKIPpy' I hope we don't sign up anymore than two or at most three of the foreigners. In my opinion, we need to be signing tried and tested players for the most part, who could potentially be suplimented with a few foreigners for a season to see how they adapt to the game in this country, and at this level. I think signing unknown and untested players with the thinking they will be first team regulars is a big risk, so hope we would limit this and not be relying on untested players to plug gaps, but rather signing up the few who we think could make it at this level and seeing if they can challenge for a regular first team slot rather than relying on them being first choice. The languages issues would also worry be slightly - hypothetically how do you organise a defence when your central defensive partner can't speak a word of english!?

Heard a wee rumour we're in for Tony Wallace, source is a bit dodgy though so it could be bollocks..... ;):P

I actually know very little of what's going on at Gayfield currently, I just know we have a lot of trialists currently, of which a good number are foreigners. I believe we have, or had, a Scottish keeper on trial who would be a good enough signing to compete with Scott Morrison, but that's as far as my knowledge goes :lol::(

Hopefully without coming across all 'UKIPpy' I hope we don't sign up anymore than two or at most three of the foreigners. In my opinion, we need to be signing tried and tested players for the most part, who could potentially be suplimented with a few foreigners for a season to see how they adapt to the game in this country, and at this level. I think signing unknown and untested players with the thinking they will be first team regulars is a big risk, so hope we would limit this and not be relying on untested players to plug gaps, but rather signing up the few who we think could make it at this level and seeing if they can challenge for a regular first team slot rather than relying on them being first choice. The languages issues would also worry be slightly - hypothetically how do you organise a defence when your central defensive partner can't speak a word of english!?

Racist!!!! :)

You back for Saturday?

When we signed Ricky Little, we were told by Queen's Park fans, who had seen him play in 100 + games, that he should be played at centre back, and was a much poorer player at right back. Obviously he's been injured which has made things very difficult for him, but he has had little opportunity to play at centre half at Gayfield. I think Queen's Park fans, who I will reiterate saw him play 100 + games at this level and saw him get into the team of the year 3 years in a row, are in a far better position to judge his ability in his preferred position than any of us Lichties are. I'm not sure how any Arbroath fan would feel they were in a position to comment on his ability at centre back? What are people judging his ability there on? It can't be his performances, as we have barely seen him in that position..... :unsure: People have made comments on his height etc before, but yet again I would point out that he has proved himself for years in this division, so why would height be an issue for us when it wasn't previously in all the years he performed well at this level?

Don't get me wrong, we're all qualified to judge his performances at right back for Arbroath, and I think everyone will agree he has been very poor since he got back from his injury, and I'm sure the player himself knows his performances would need to improve to be a first team regular this season. However, I think any comments on his ability to perform at centre back by Arbroath fans are extremely unfair, and have absolutely no basis. At this level he is proven to be an excellent centre back, and no-one can disagree with that.

What he says. Try Ricky at centre half.

Two cup draws I expect us to get nothing out of - but at least they're both at the start of the season and will give us some competitive games to assess the team. Would much prefer a decent away trip and/ or a winnable tie but we've had some good cup draws in previous years so can't be particuarly disappointed.

I wonder how many trialists will line up for tonight s game away to Stirling Albion.

Going by Lumsdens interview in the courier alot, good to see they arent just signing any riff raff and waiting for the right guys.

Know its closed doors the night but you going?

No idea mate. Heard the name Ricky and Tony shouted a few times, and there's a fella with a beard and long hair up front for yous.

Ricky will no doubt be Ricky Little. Probably playing CB or RB. Tony will be Tony Wallace ex of Morton who is on trial with us. Boy up front will probably be 1 of the many foreigners we have on trial just now.

If you could can you keep us updated with the score please.

Ricky will no doubt be Ricky Little. Probably playing CB or RB. Tony will be Tony Wallace ex of Morton who is on trial with us. Boy up front will probably be 1 of the many foreigners we have on trial just now.

Aye was gonna say he looked a bit foreign. No problem, 0-0 at HT

“@TonyWallace91: Decided to take this time to announce my retirement from International and Club football and focus on my career with the council 8-) ☹ ☺”

You sure he's on trial?

“@TonyWallace91: Decided to take this time to announce my retirement from International and Club football and focus on my career with the council 8-) ☹ ☺”

You sure he's on trial?

Apparently so

Archived